C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Should I use sealant on the gasket on the gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Should I use sealant on the gasket on the gas tank?

I'm going to replace the gasket that goes between the gas tank and the filler neck of my 1990 Corvette. I've got a new gasket on the way.

Is there a sealant that I should put on the gasket or should I simply bolt down the filler neck to the gasket and the gas tanK?

I tried to buy a new filler neck, but they aren't available. The nine bolts are rusty, and I'll replace them.

I have a tube of RTV sealant, but the label advises against using it near gasoline. I'm nearly 100 percent sure the gasket leaks and allows water into the tank when I wash the car or during rain, even with the car cover on the car. Thanks. Over the past few rainy months, I've had to use a dozen bottles of Valvoline Water Remover. -- Eric
Old 03-31-2005, 12:40 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I didn't use any sealant on the old gasket.

If you are having a gasoline leak make sure that both surfaces are flat where they meet the gasket and use new O-rings on each hold down bolt. You can find these at Lowe's bathroom h/w department.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:38 AM
Gregory VanLare
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

DON'T USE SEALANT!!!! I had my fuel pump changed and the shop didn't replace the gasket but used sealant. It broke down and became sludge in the tank. It's been a nightmare for 2 years trying to get it cleaned up! The strainer becomes clogged long trips have been a horrible. Now that I finally know the problem, I carry the tools and an extra strainer so I can change it out when I'm on a trip. NO SEALANT!
The following users liked this post:
Damon 86' Auto C4 (11-25-2023)
Old 03-31-2005, 06:56 AM
SupaVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory VanLare
DON'T USE SEALANT!!!! I had my fuel pump changed and the shop didn't replace the gasket but used sealant. It broke down and became sludge in the tank. It's been a nightmare for 2 years trying to get it cleaned up! The strainer becomes clogged long trips have been a horrible. Now that I finally know the problem, I carry the tools and an extra strainer so I can change it out when I'm on a trip. NO SEALANT!

The fuel will break the sealant down
Old 04-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Thanks. I had overlooked O rings.

Thanks guys. I'll avoid the sealant. And thanks for the tip on the O-rings. I had overlooked that. With the bolts being so rusty, I'm sure the O-rings are in pretty bad shape.

I had tightened the bolts as a temporary measure until the new gasket arrived from the Chevy dealer, and that created an airtight seal for a couple of days. (Finally, I could hear the rush of air when I removed the gas cap. But that beautiful sound disappeared after a few days.)

I got caught in heavy rain last week, and after about five miles, the water found its way into the tank, and the engine sputtered and the SES light came on. Finally the engine stalled out completely while going 55 mph. I had to pull off the road and dump in two bottles of Valvoline Water Remover. I cranked her up and she hesitated a bit and ran rough for a minute or so and then she ran beautifully for the remaining 10 miles.

I'll be so glad when I get that gasket in my hands and put it on the that gas tank. Thanks guys. -- Eric

Get notified of new replies

To Should I use sealant on the gasket on the gas tank?

Quick Reply: Should I use sealant on the gasket on the gas tank?