C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

replacing rear brake light bulb

Old 04-05-2005, 07:29 PM
acinco51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing rear brake light bulb

I own a 1985 and need to replace right rear brake/taillight. how do I get at it to change the bulb. any information will be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:47 PM
VAHROOM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default On my 90 convertible

On my 90 convertible, got on my back in the drive and reached up and finally worked it free. Nothing to advise except wear a long tight-sleeved shirt.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

If you have skinny arms and small hands, you can try from underneath.

Otherwise you will have to remove the license plat, then remove the reverse light on that side of the car, if it's the outboard light - then reach in the opening with a 10mm socket and remove the inner taillight (2 nuts one on top one underneath) then reach in through the opening of the tailight you removed and remove the damaged bulb and replace. Then reverse the procedure. Definately use the long-life bulbs, you don't want a repeat anytime soon.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:32 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I remove the license plate, backup lights, the 10mm screw under each backup light that holds the bumper cover to the body, pull back slightly on the bumper cover and reach in and unscrew the 2 10mm screws that are in the 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions (viewed from the back of the car) of the inboard tailight, remove the inboard light from the bulb connector, reach through the inboard hole to the outboard tailight and remove those 2 10mm screws in the same positions. Or you might be able to remove the bulb socket from the outboard lamp and replace it through the inboard taillight opening. While you're at it, replace all 4 bulbs at the same time with long life bulbs. Just be careful not to drop the tools while you're back there. There is a spot that any socket that falls into will not easily be found. It's a little frustrating to reach in and get the LH inboard lamp screw in the 11 o'clock position. I always scrape my arm. Good Luck. I working on a retrofit kit that eliminates the screws so you don't need tools to remove the taillights. If you're interested send me a PM.

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 04-05-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:44 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The above posts cover the only two approaches that I know of for changing rear taillight bulbs
Old 04-06-2005, 04:22 PM
acinco51
Advanced

thanks for the help it was a painin the you know where but i got the bulb changed thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To replacing rear brake light bulb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing rear brake light bulb