C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Does anyone know how much water in the gas tank the C4 will tolerate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Does anyone know how much water in the gas tank the C4 will tolerate?

I'm pretty sure the gas tank in my 1990 six-speed has water in it. I'm planning to drain the tank in another day or so.

Does anyone know how much water in the gas tank can be tolerated before the engine stalls out?

Yesterday, the Corvette ran a perfect 30 miles and suddenly stalled out. It wouldn't start. I tried off and on for 15 minutes and it wouldn't start. Then, I added a half bottle of Valvoline Water Remover and let the car sit for a few minutes. With the water remover in the tank, the engine started up and ran well for another 25 miles, hesitating only once a few miles after adding the water remover.

I replaced the rubber gasket that goes between the filler neck and the gas tank. I replaced the O-rings on the nine bolts and put a gasoline-resistant waterproofing sealant around the edge of the gasket after I tightened the bolts. -- Eric
Old 04-13-2005, 10:51 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you know for sure there is water in that tank I would not run it at all untill it cleaned out.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:15 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Going for the all time record for most threads on the same topic?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Enough about water in the tank

You're right, Steve. I've written too much about water in the tank. But I don't know where else to find answers to questions like this. I've read Haynes and Chilton and talked to two professional mechanics about the problem, plus guys in Advance Auto.

I think I've got the problem solved. I put in a new gasket between the filler neck and the gas tank.

It is a universal question that could eventually affect more than a fewl C4 drivers. I don't know why Chevy put a gas tank filler neck on a horizontal plane where water could easily enter the tank.

I took the car to a Chevy dealer and told them what was going on and they wanted to remove the gas tank, which is a six-hour procedure and would have cost $400.

I've learned a lot about fuel contamination and I'm available to answer questions others have on the subject.

Of course, it's miraculous that I'm even on the formum tonight. The Corvette has left me stranded five times due to water in the tank. Once was while driving home in the rain.

This week, before I got the problem solved, the car quit while I was cruising 60 mph down the road. It wouldn't start. I got out and pushed the car because there was very little shoulder to park on, and the ditchs were deep. I pushed the car for the length of a football field on the highway. A church parking lot was coming up on the left as I pushed and steered the stalled Corvette. Just as I was turning left into the church lot, a dump truck had to skid to a stop to miss me.

Sorry, Steve. I'll steer clear of the fuel contamination subject. -- Eric
Old 04-14-2005, 10:23 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the answer is 1/2 %... at least that is the number I remember
Old 10-18-2020, 02:57 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Old post but same problem here.
replaced fuel pump
Tank gasket
O ring bolts
Pulsator.

Still to replace the fuel filter and completely drain the line

Found water in pulsator and in gasoline. The old tank gasket was dry and parched.

Could be gasket the culprit?
Old 10-18-2020, 02:59 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

That is
Old 10-18-2020, 05:55 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts

Why not just dump in 6 bottles of Heet?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:46 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 398 Posts

Is the drain in the rubber bib around the filler neck clogged. I have seen them clog and drown the gas cap, granted the cap should be a good enough seal but it also has a Check Valve in it to allow a Negative pressure to be released plus it's much more front line than a gasket under the sending unit flange.
. As for how much water, not much

Last edited by s carter; 10-19-2020 at 07:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Christi@n (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 04:41 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Why not just dump in 6 bottles of Heet?
sure I will do to clean fuel Line. though I've replaced fuel pump cause won't run. The moment I've replaced fuel pump i've found water in gas

Last edited by Christi@n; 10-19-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:18 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Being a long time "Live Aboard" Boat person I would immediately put a Fuel Water Separator in your fuel line. A decent inexpensive smaller unit will be all you need but they make them in a variety of sizes and shapes.

To be honest it is not a bad thing to have as it allows you to rid your fuel of water contamination. Fuel contamination is a big issue for Road driven vehicles and happens far too often.

I used a Racor Fuel Filter/Water Separator on my Perkins Diesel and never had an issue. It had a "warning light" on my dashboard in case water was detected in the system and prevented it from continuing in the fuel system. Diesel can't handle any water in their fuel so therefore there is a big market of vehicle water separators. A drop of water can kill a high pressure fuel pump like those used on commercial diesel engines like those used in marine applications.

The Water Seperators on the marine market often have filtration for the fuel as well. I hope they are Ethanol proof by now. The make them for different Flow rates and should be easy to find on line.

Then use a double gasket covered in grease between the fuel tank and the cover/gas filler. When I bought my Corvette it had a broken bolt in the fuel pump cover and it would leak occasionally when the tank was full. I opened the tank and removed the broken part and now can put even pressure on the entire gasket surface. The surface has to be smooth and clean, no rust or anything as it might make it leak. I also used anti-seize on all the tank hardware.
The following users liked this post:
Christi@n (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 02:24 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
Being a long time "Live Aboard" Boat person I would immediately put a Fuel Water Separator in your fuel line. A decent inexpensive smaller unit will be all you need but they make them in a variety of sizes and shapes.

To be honest it is not a bad thing to have as it allows you to rid your fuel of water contamination. Fuel contamination is a big issue for Road driven vehicles and happens far too often.

I used a Racor Fuel Filter/Water Separator on my Perkins Diesel and never had an issue. It had a "warning light" on my dashboard in case water was detected in the system and prevented it from continuing in the fuel system. Diesel can't handle any water in their fuel so therefore there is a big market of vehicle water separators. A drop of water can kill a high pressure fuel pump like those used on commercial diesel engines like those used in marine applications.

The Water Seperators on the marine market often have filtration for the fuel as well. I hope they are Ethanol proof by now. The make them for different Flow rates and should be easy to find on line.

Then use a double gasket covered in grease between the fuel tank and the cover/gas filler. When I bought my Corvette it had a broken bolt in the fuel pump cover and it would leak occasionally when the tank was full. I opened the tank and removed the broken part and now can put even pressure on the entire gasket surface. The surface has to be smooth and clean, no rust or anything as it might make it leak. I also used anti-seize on all the tank hardware.
Thanks for this. in my dodge nitro diesel the fuel filter is a water separator is far as I know.
do they make even water separator for gasoline vette?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:32 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

They make several types of water separators that could easily be adapted to a Corvette by a good mechanic. I have never seen one designed for 43 psi pressure but I will bet they exist.

Hello again Christi@n!

If you need some help I can look around on this side of the Atlantic for you and see if I can find one that might work for you. Marine Suppliers would be the first place to look. Yes your Dodge Nitro Diesel will have a water separator as like I mentioned earlier a drop of water will kill a High Pressure Diesel fuel pump.

I have never seen on a Corvette but it is time for another "First"!

Stay Healthy My friend!

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know how much water in the gas tank the C4 will tolerate?

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how much water in the gas tank the C4 will tolerate?