C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question on Dakota Digital speedometer correction installation

Old 04-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Question on Dakota Digital speedometer correction installation

I have an 85 and the wiring diagram for the vehicle shows VSS input on two wires(to the digi-dash), a PPL and a YEL. The instructions refer to a single sensor feed wire and a sensor ground.

How did you guys wire this thing?

Anybody know why there are two inputs and no ground? Or is my diagram incorrect?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

One time for the weekday crowd
Old 04-19-2005, 12:38 PM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as I recall,
the speed sender does have two wires, you have to find which one feeds the dash and splice the dakota digital into that one.
then you supply a power and ground to the unit.
(note: I'm using a later ZF sender/richmond 6spd) the wire colors may vary by year and I'm not sure testing with a multimeter will show a difference (since the sender generates a wave on its own). but you've got a 50/50 chance of hitting it right the first time.
good luck.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:46 PM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RainDelay
I have an 85 and the wiring diagram for the vehicle shows VSS input on two wires(to the digi-dash), a PPL and a YEL. The instructions refer to a single sensor feed wire and a sensor ground.

How did you guys wire this thing?

Anybody know why there are two inputs and no ground? Or is my diagram incorrect?

the speed sender makes its own wave/signal so its very hard to test just which wire feeds the dash.
however you've got a 50/50 chance of hitting the right wire the first time.
I ran new wires to tie into the sender's wire, then supplied a ground and power wire to the dikota digital.
seems like I didn't hit the right one the first time and had to splice into the other sender wire.
good luck.
RJ
Old 04-19-2005, 09:48 PM
boatpig
Cruising

Default Why Digital

Hi my name is Steve and I also have a 85, my speedo stopped working one day and have not been able to trace the problem, I replaced the speed sensor and now believe the cluster went bad, they are so expensive to have someone just check it ,I was wondering if yours went out and now replaced or put in a seperate speedometer. I have taken the whole dash apart and you are correct on the wire colors !
Old 04-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by ol,RJ
the speed sender makes its own wave/signal so its very hard to test just which wire feeds the dash.
RJ
That's the problem with the diagram I have, it shows two feed wires to the dash and does not indicate a ground side and a signal side. I was wondering if maybe one wire fed the bar graph and the other to the numerical readout

Oh well, like you said...

however you've got a 50/50 chance of hitting the right wire the first time.
I ran new wires to tie into the sender's wire, then supplied a ground and power wire to the dikota digital.
seems like I didn't hit the right one the first time and had to splice into the other sender wire.
good luck.
So if I get it wrong more than once, I'm in trouble

Thanks for the info RJ
Old 04-20-2005, 02:02 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

sorry about the double post.
I kept getting an error and didn't think they went thru (didn't find out until now).
I'm not sure that either of the wires have power or ground, it may be that the sender creates the signal in a kinda loop. I do know that one side works and the other doesn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Dakota Digital speedometer correction installation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on Dakota Digital speedometer correction installation