C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Delteq Opti-Direct installed have a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:48 PM
95Purple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delteq Opti-Direct installed have a question

I just installed the Delteq Opti-Direct system on my 95 LT1. What a difference it makes, the car runs so much better. My question is about the original Opti-spark cap still on the motor. Is the cap watertight without the spark plug wires on it? Should I just cut the old wires off at the boot to keep it closed off? Or should I remove them and let it be open to the environment?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't matter what you do, only electrons can flow through the high-voltage connections.
Water can not intrude into the Opti-Spark through the high voltage connections unless the cap is cracked.

Tom Piper
Old 04-18-2005, 01:40 PM
95Purple
Pro

ok I didnt know if it was Hermetically sealed where the contacts are in the cap without the plug wire boots sealing it off.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:01 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Purple
I just installed the Delteq Opti-Direct system on my 95 LT1. What a difference it makes, the car runs so much better. My question is about the original Opti-spark cap still on the motor. Is the cap watertight without the spark plug wires on it? Should I just cut the old wires off at the boot to keep it closed off? Or should I remove them and let it be open to the environment?

I've got a 95 that is currently running like s**t. Missing at idle has gotten progressively worse, stumble on hard take-off from stop and even backfires with a/c on, missing and stumbling at 1/3 throttle, etc. Was your car running that badly prior to the Delteq?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:32 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After installing the Delteq system in my car, I pulled out the old spark plug wires from the cap and removed them from the engine (to the trash). No problems, its been 7 months/2500 miles like that. Wasn't even that hard, after removing from closest loom holder (to cap) I just pulled and they all pulled out without problem. (96K on engine at that time). Just do it.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 PM
ericdiver
Advanced

Default 2 cents

i installed the system also and its my understanding that it doesnt matter if it gets wet or not....but i had the same experience, my car was running ok i thought but when i installed the system WOW power galore off the line worth every cent
http://photobucket.com/albums/y126/e...orvette003.jpg

Get notified of new replies

To Delteq Opti-Direct installed have a question

Quick Reply: Delteq Opti-Direct installed have a question