C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

J55 Brake upgrade for 87 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:09 PM
OleDog
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default J55 Brake upgrade for 87 Vette

I don't want to be a deek but I would like to hear from someone whose actually done it. Went Autox today the front brakes in my 87 suck.
Don't have the time, money or inclination to go to C5 upgrade. Don't want to spend $1000 on a kit., don't want to change my wheels. My Enkie 9.5 wheels should work fine with the 13 inch J55 brakes and rotors.
I think I need
2- 88 whatever J55 calipers
2- 88 Brackets
2- new brake hoses (seems 87 and 88 have 2 different part numbers)

Any help out there?
Thanks
Billy
Old 04-23-2005, 10:17 PM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OleDog
I think I need
2- 88 whatever J55 calipers
2- 88 Brackets
2- new brake hoses (seems 87 and 88 have 2 different part numbers)
You also need an adapter bracket that goes between the 88 brackets and your 87 original caliper mount. They are not cheap. The cost to do a C5 upgrade is basically the same, and the C5 rotors are about 30% the cost of the J55 rotors.

Both the C5 upgrade and the J55 upgrade has to have the "custom" adapter bracket to make the caliper bracket fit on your steering knuckle.

-Tom
Old 04-23-2005, 10:24 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You dont need different brake hoses, you get the hoses for YOUR year.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:07 AM
tm1995c4-LT1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...35&forum_id=55
Old 04-24-2005, 08:49 AM
tommelton
Drifting

That is a good deal for the parts! Then you still need the adapter brackets...

-Tom
Old 04-24-2005, 10:05 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I run the standard 11.5" front rotors on my 87 for autocross and track days. I usually run EBC Greenstuff pads (Tire Rack has them) for autocross and street and for track days, I use Hawk HP+ pads in front (also from Tire Rack).

I have not had any issues so far and braking performance is very good. The EBC pads have excellent cold bite and even when hot they haul the car down quickly. These pads show very little dust compared to the Hawk HP series. The HP+ pads are a bit noisy for the street and very dusty. Another good pad is the Performance Friction Z pad and they should be available through AutoZone.

For rotors, I buy the cheap "white box" rotors and just toss them when they show wear or excessive grooving. I use Earls' stainless hoses and run Ford MotorCraft heavy duty fluid which has a very good wet boiling point for autocross and track day use. I have Speed Bleeders installed on the calipers and bleed the brakes before every track day.

IMHO, it boils down to selecting the correct parts to make the factory brakes work. Stock pads may be OK for street, but if you do any performace driving, then the cheapest way to get good performance from the stock system is a good high performance pad and a good quality DOT4 brake fluid.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:33 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by tommelton
That is a good deal for the parts! Then you still need the adapter brackets...

-Tom
See if you can get them from a salvage yard. Brackets don't where out.
Here's a shot showing the difference.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:26 PM
tommelton
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
See if you can get them from a salvage yard. Brackets don't where out.
Here's a shot showing the difference.
And to mount the later J55 brackets to a 1984-1987 spindle takes another set of adapter brackets. You CANNOT bolt the J55 factory brackets directly to the 1987-1987 spindle.

-Tom
Old 04-24-2005, 08:54 PM
-js-
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might find this thread helpful.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1021806
Old 04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
OleDog
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I run the standard 11.5" front rotors on my 87 for autocross and track days. I usually run EBC Greenstuff pads (Tire Rack has them) for autocross and street and for track days, I use Hawk HP+ pads in front (also from Tire Rack).

I have not had any issues so far and braking performance is very good. The EBC pads have excellent cold bite and even when hot they haul the car down quickly. These pads show very little dust compared to the Hawk HP series. The HP+ pads are a bit noisy for the street and very dusty. Another good pad is the Performance Friction Z pad and they should be available through AutoZone.

For rotors, I buy the cheap "white box" rotors and just toss them when they show wear or excessive grooving. I use Earls' stainless hoses and run Ford MotorCraft heavy duty fluid which has a very good wet boiling point for autocross and track day use. I have Speed Bleeders installed on the calipers and bleed the brakes before every track day.

IMHO, it boils down to selecting the correct parts to make the factory brakes work. Stock pads may be OK for street, but if you do any performace driving, then the cheapest way to get good performance from the stock system is a good high performance pad and a good quality DOT4 brake fluid.
Thanks everybody. I may try what crusier said first. I just thought that since RJ is selling his J55 calipers and brackets I could get some kind of deal if I rebuilt then my self. I gotta read more.
Thanks Again
Billy

Get notified of new replies

To J55 Brake upgrade for 87 Vette

Quick Reply: J55 Brake upgrade for 87 Vette