C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 LT1 runs too hot?

Old 04-24-2005, 04:06 PM
snoopy2003
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LT1 runs too hot?

Has anyone actually used the hypertech power programmers. I am thinking of buying one to set the stock cooling fan on temps lower in the computer. Wanted some input before I spend the cash.
I am sick of the high running temperature in the engine and I live in Dallas, Texas where summer is over 100 degrees alot, with alot of sitting in traffic! I realize GM says this is fine and normal, but It drives me crazy watching the temp gage needle getting that high when I am in traffic or at a stop light.
Any input from actual users appreciated Thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 04:11 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

What temps are you running?

LT1's run hot from the factory.
1st thing to do is clean all the junk from the radiator, our cars are like vacuum cleaners.

2nd thing to do is put in a 160 stat.
You can also pull the panels directly over the front shocks to get more airflow in traffic.

I've put in a racing radiator and electric water pump.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Chris_G
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by snoopy2003
Has anyone actually used the hypertech power programmers. I am thinking of buying one to set the stock cooling fan on temps lower in the computer. Wanted some input before I spend the cash.
I am sick of the high running temperature in the engine and I live in Dallas, Texas where summer is over 100 degrees alot, with alot of sitting in traffic! I realize GM says this is fine and normal, but It drives me crazy watching the temp gage needle getting that high when I am in traffic or at a stop light.
Any input from actual users appreciated Thanks
I was thinking about this as well. After I figured what the Hypertech would cost I figured I'd be better off buying an after alum radiator.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:18 PM
RED95CONVLUVER
Instructor

my 95 was way hot all the time too in traffic... i installed a switch wired to the relay which i hit when im putt putting in traffic.. i wired it to the relay which runs both fans slow (in series). temp never goes over 205... let me know if u want to know which relay and wire it is..
Old 04-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Unless it's over 240, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Timbothemonster
1st Gear

Default 1995 Lt1

Hey,
I have a similar issue in my 1995. I live in Hawaii and its always warm here. In traffic she gets pretty warm if stopped (understandeably). I am interested in how to install the fan switch, I think hypertech has info on their website but you offered it so I'll take it if you post it here.
Im thinking Im going to end up with a 160 thermostat, different fan settings, and maybe a few additives (like 40 below), anyone used that?
/R
Tim
Old 04-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What is too hot?

Friday driving home in stop & go I noticed the water temp gauge climbing so I started monitoring all of the temps digitally and found this:

Water 230
Oil 225
trans 225

I was rather disturbed at the water temp and as I was in the car by myself I turned the heater up all the way to try and draw some heat from the water temp which did work but was rather uncomfortable on the old feet.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
What is too hot?

Friday driving home in stop & go I noticed the water temp gauge climbing so I started monitoring all of the temps digitally and found this:

Water 230
Oil 225
trans 225

I was rather disturbed at the water temp and as I was in the car by myself I turned the heater up all the way to try and draw some heat from the water temp which did work but was rather uncomfortable on the old feet.
Turnin' on the A/C will kick on your fans, lower the water temps, and be much better "on the old feet"!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:41 PM
budrog
Cruising

Default Cooler Vette

Here is what I did to lower the temp in my 94 LT1....

Ordered the switch that turns on the fans at 195 degrees.
Got it from Ecklers. Don't have the part number handy, but just
ask salesman for the above switch.

The instructions that came with the switch tell you to install it in an unused hole in the block, between #1 and #3 cylinders.

Instead, I just installed it into the heater hose that passes through
the throttle body, used some 3/8" brass fittings and pipe that you can get at any home center or hardware store. You will also need 2 hose clamps.

Don't worry about grounding the switch, the coolant will provide the
ground path to turn on the fans.

Locate the relays for the fans. Mine are on the driver side of the radiator housing. Unplug the relays and find terminal F. It is clearly labled F. Then using the supplied hardware, splice into the wire coming from terminal F on both relays. Plug the relays back in and you are good to go. I replaced the thermostat also, and my temps rarely get
over 215 degrees. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Chris_G
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by budrog
Here is what I did to lower the temp in my 94 LT1....

Ordered the switch that turns on the fans at 195 degrees.
Got it from Ecklers. Don't have the part number handy, but just
ask salesman for the above switch.

The instructions that came with the switch tell you to install it in an unused hole in the block, between #1 and #3 cylinders.

Instead, I just installed it into the heater hose that passes through
the throttle body, used some 3/8" brass fittings and pipe that you can get at any home center or hardware store. You will also need 2 hose clamps.

Don't worry about grounding the switch, the coolant will provide the
ground path to turn on the fans.

Locate the relays for the fans. Mine are on the driver side of the radiator housing. Unplug the relays and find terminal F. It is clearly labled F. Then using the supplied hardware, splice into the wire coming from terminal F on both relays. Plug the relays back in and you are good to go. I replaced the thermostat also, and my temps rarely get
over 215 degrees. Hope this helps.
Sounds like a plan but the coolant supplying the ground path worries me. I can only hope this switch has two lugs on it and requires no ground?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:29 PM
RED95CONVLUVER
Instructor

on my 95 i installed the coolant switch we are talking about here in the head between the#1 and #3.. IT worked well but the fans were allways running so i installed a switch in series with it and it and i put it to the left of my cosole. the sencer i installed was a 195. i wished i had a 205 maybe. the idea that u dont need a ground and the coolant will ground it is crazy.. i would put it in the head if you can get the plug out.. i made a tool to fit it by grinding down an old head bolt to fit the square hole.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:37 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Didn't read the other suggestions, but...

I put a Mezierre electric water pump on and did some radiator cleaning. No problems since. Also replaced the radiator cap (in case of a vaccuum leak) and threw in a new thermo (powerstat like $20). Also you can check for air bubbles, someone else can tell you exactly how, but you remove the radiator cap (when car's COLD) and then there's a little valve you mess with near the thermo that will release the air. You'll see a drop in coolant level. Something like that, sorry for lack of detail, been a while without my car.

If you're thinking of programming check out www.pcmforless.com. I know many people still like Hypertech, but I had one, and I'll never have one again. Had pcmforless tune our '96 Z28 and it runs great, we needed it done for gears, but had them do their whole little package. Plus it's cheaper and they'll reprogram for $50 for life I believe, so if you get a new cam or something they'll re-do it for you.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

What is too hot?

Water 230
Oil 225
trans 225

Those temps are perfectly normal for sitting in traffic.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:38 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Us rich guy's that own vetts just spend the money and do it right .
I spent the $349.00 for the hypertech, every thing is just fine.
160 stat and temp never goes above 210 degrees.
Don't be stupid like us rich guy's and pull the thermstat out without draining the coolent .
Us rich guy's like spending money on otpi sparks.
If your a rich guy driving a vette why are you doing the work your self?
How about I was stupid in the beginning and wanted to lighten my wallet.
You can spend the same money on LT1 edit and do alot more with the car.If you have a lap top
Old 04-26-2005, 07:23 AM
budrog
Cruising

Default Cooler vette

Originally Posted by XFIRED
Sounds like a plan but the coolant supplying the ground path worries me. I can only hope this switch has two lugs on it and requires no ground?
The switch does have two lugs. Guess it doesn't need a ground like you said...in case it does the coolant provides a good ground path. I have
no problems with mine....
Old 04-26-2005, 08:28 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I live in South Florida so I know a little about heat. Follow this and you might find some results.
1. Clean the area between the radiator and the condenser.
2. Flush the radiator completely and use a water wetter product.
3. Change your hoses, all of them, easy and cheap.
This should decrease your temps.
You can also change to a lower tstat and change the fan temps.
Good luck.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:25 AM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I bought the hypertech power programmer and the 160 stat and would definately do it over again. I took the option in the hypertech programmer to have the fans on at 213 and off at 205. The lowest hypertech option, on at 192 and off at 185 seemed too low, and I figured the fans would run too much. My car hangs between 215 and 220 sitting traffic now and 185 on the highway.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 LT1 runs too hot?

Old 04-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Perfusion
Turnin' on the A/C will kick on your fans, lower the water temps, and be much better "on the old feet"!

Honestly, this goes against everything that I've ever been taught about engines that are overheating (turning on the AC ) but yes, the dual fans going on, does makes sense in lowering the temp of the coolant.

Next time I'm in bumper to bumper and the temp goes up I will try that and let you know the effect.

Thanks
Mark
Old 04-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Honestly, this goes against everything that I've ever been taught about engines that are overheating (turning on the AC ) but yes, the dual fans going on, does makes sense in lowering the temp of the coolant.

Next time I'm in bumper to bumper and the temp goes up I will try that and let you know the effect.

Thanks
Mark
While sitting in hot Florida traffic, I was at 231 degrees. I switched on the A/c and watched my temp drop to 210 in less thna a minute and the car hadn't moved.

My cousins car('74 Impala), same thing, flicked on the A/C and watched the temps drop.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:05 AM
czissman
Advanced

Thanks
Mark
The system is set up such that when the A/C is on, both fans kick in to keep the temp from running up from the additional drag on the engine. I use that trick whenever my temp begins to rise, and the temp drops dramatically, FAST.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 LT1 runs too hot?