C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Results of a little more testing with this Split Block Learn Values

Old 05-08-2005, 02:09 PM
92ZR1WANNABE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Results of a little more testing with this Split Block Learn Values

Ok after some good advice from you guys , i went back out this morning and just did some normal driving around with the scanner hooked up. This is what i found.

The Left Block / Right Block are usually withen 126-128 (yes both of them) under any kind of throttle whatsoever. Its only when idleing or coasting with no throttle that the Right bank drops to 114-116. If Sitting at idle for a long amount of time it drops down to 110ish.

After pondering this problem for abit, i am gonna start leaning towards a bunk injector. Tell me if this reasoning sounds legit. At idle , or very light throttle , its dumping too much fuel... hence the 110-116 trim. Once you start accelerating or cruzing at decent speeds , the engine RPM actually comes close to matching what the injector is putting out. Hence the very acceptable readings of 126-128. Once you slow back down / idle the situation returns that the injector is dumping too much fuel........ aka bleeding or leaking fuel.

Am i on the right track? And i guess the next question would be, how much are injectors , and are they a pain in the @ss to install?

Cars a 92 for you guys that may or maynot have read the initial thread.

O one more thing, I popped a bottle of injector cleaner in it this morning. Figure it could'nt hurt.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Morley
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ZR1WANNABE
O one more thing, I popped a bottle of injector cleaner in it this morning. Figure it could'nt hurt.
Actually, if they are Multec injectors it can hurt them (nother thread round here on that)
Sorry, can't help on what it takes to change the injectors, got no exp with LT1's. What you need to do is get them all up and out with the rails still attached to them so you can pressureize the fuel system and look for dripping/leaking injectors...of course if they are the factory Multec's I'd just chit-can them on principal..but that's just me.
Yours are 22# injectors..not exactly a "common" flow rate for aftermarket injectors. Injectors usually run around $200+/set
Got a set of old Multec's I pulled off a 91 if you want them They were working when I pulled them...U pay shipping and they're all yours.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:42 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ZR1WANNABE
Ok after some good advice from you guys , i went back out this morning and just did some normal driving around with the scanner hooked up. This is what i found.

The Left Block / Right Block are usually withen 126-128 (yes both of them) under any kind of throttle whatsoever. Its only when idleing or coasting with no throttle that the Right bank drops to 114-116. If Sitting at idle for a long amount of time it drops down to 110ish.

After pondering this problem for abit, i am gonna start leaning towards a bunk injector. Tell me if this reasoning sounds legit. At idle , or very light throttle , its dumping too much fuel... hence the 110-116 trim. Once you start accelerating or cruzing at decent speeds , the engine RPM actually comes close to matching what the injector is putting out. Hence the very acceptable readings of 126-128. Once you slow back down / idle the situation returns that the injector is dumping too much fuel........ aka bleeding or leaking fuel.

Am i on the right track? And i guess the next question would be, how much are injectors , and are they a pain in the @ss to install?

Cars a 92 for you guys that may or maynot have read the initial thread.

Thanks!
Closed throttle and deceleration don't count. Under these conditions you are typically running in DECEL Fuel Mode. Which means that the PCM or ECM is literally shutting down the injectors. At idle you may want to slightly decrease your VE table cells in the areas where it is rich. For instance if you see it rich at 700 RPM at 35 KPA of MAP, then go to where the MAP and RPM axis cross and remove some fuel there. Then datalog again and see if you made an improvement. That is if you have the ability to reburn a new chip Otherwise you would have to rely on someone that does. From what you are telling us now, with cruise conditions the trims are in the normal ranges I would think that the injectors are OK. They don't normally have problem at idle and not in another RPM range. If its out of range down low its going to be out of range every where.

Last edited by tjwong; 05-08-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:12 PM
92ZR1WANNABE
Racer

So its just a big ol S.N.A.F.U. ?

Normal? (Now i hope the injector cleaner does not hurt the injectors .. lol)
Old 05-08-2005, 03:13 PM
92ZR1WANNABE
Racer

Originally Posted by Morley
Got a set of old Multec's I pulled off a 91 if you want them They were working when I pulled them...U pay shipping and they're all yours.
I think ill take ya up on that offer, just to have a spare set.

Toss me a PM and well get it worked out!
Old 05-09-2005, 04:03 PM
kvu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think an injector is leaking. THe quickest way to check would be to hook up a fuel pressure gauge. If the pressure bleeds down within a few seconds, you might have a leaking injector.

THe problem is that a factory (or wideband) oxygen sensor will not be able to sense raw fuel through the exhaust. My wideband and factory O2 had no clue the regulator was dumping gas into the intake. Raw fuel was coming out the exhaust. You'll need a 5 gas analyzer for that. Or just smell the tail pipe

I think the best method for split blms is to adjust the fuel trim for each bank. Get those in line and it's all good.

....even though GM doesn't really care about split blms.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:31 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kvu
I think the best method for split blms is to adjust the fuel trim for each bank. Get those in line and it's all good.
92's don't have seperate fuel trims! I would research split blms. The way that LT1's get their idle air in has caused many people problems, especially with aftermarket TB's. If your IAC and throttle plate openings aren't adjusted properly, it can cause a split. I hope you have better luck than most.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:13 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Also might want to take a read at http://para.noid.org/~lj
To the left under pcm, and then split blms.

Get notified of new replies

To Results of a little more testing with this Split Block Learn Values

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Results of a little more testing with this Split Block Learn Values