C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Waking up an 84 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Doobie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waking up an 84 Corvette

Howdy,
I now find myself in the possession of an 84 Corvette.

I know there are better Corvettes, but the deal was too good to turn down.

So what are the popular mods to the much malined 84 ?

This car has 166,000 miles on it, but its terrifically clean, and appears to have been really well maintained.

If and when the original engine expires, what have you guys replaced it with ?

What things should I look at as potential problem areas ?

Not knowing the cars whole history, I'm considering having the fluids in the transmission, and rear end changed.

Also plan on using mobile one oil, and K&N filters.

Any tips much appricated.

Who would've thought you could buy a running, driving, good looking Corvette for less than the price of a new 4 wheel drive four wheeler.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Step one:
Remove current driveline
Step 2:
Install shifiroff 472 SBC/Th400 w'transbrake
Step 3
Install dn44/drag radial
Step 4 kick stoplight ****.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Doobie
Howdy,
I now find myself in the possession of an 84 Corvette.

I know there are better Corvettes, but the deal was too good to turn down.
:

Ah now don't be that way. Wether it's a ZR-1 or a 84 TBI, a Vette is a Vette. Honestly, I don't know that much about modifications. Perhaps free up the breathing by installing a different exhaust, airfilter. I'm not an expert on those L83s but I have seen in Vette magazine where a nitrous system was installed on one. If the time comes when you want to replace the engine, you may want to consider the standard GM 350, which will cost you about 1,500 dollars. I don't know how the wiring harness from your current 84 would match up with the new engine, but that engine will provide a decent upgrade for you.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I understand the "Vette is a Vette" state of mind, but, I still see where some years are much better then others.

As for the 1984... you have a ton of options.

1) Update the smallblock - 383 stroker, better fuel injection

2) Update the transmission - manual or better auto

3) install a Dana 44 so you don't go tearing up rear ends.

There are lots of options... just scan and read...
Old 05-03-2005, 07:58 PM
jack the stripper
Instructor

first and foremost, GET RID OF THE CEASE FIRE INJECTION! after that, all will be well. by the way, congrats on gettin a vette
Old 05-03-2005, 08:10 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

There are two things unique to the '84. Most notably, it is the only C4 with the much maligned Crossfire engine. The second, is that it is the first year of the C4 series. Underneath the mysterious Crossfire induction system is an average, low compression, medium performance 350 engine, not any different than what had been available for over a decade.

The Crossfire injection is smooth, reliable, economical, and provides great drivability with it's strong low end torque. Because of the limited numbers of L83 engines produced, there is a VERY limited amount of "over the counter" speed equipment available. That makes increased performance more of a DYIer's project, than a "parts swapping" project. It also makes it much less expensive, at least initially. Like any engine, you want to let it breathe. The first thing *I* recommend is porting the intake manifold. If you like driving your car, pick a spare manifold and port IT, while you enjoy the car. A proper porting job is very time consuming. Farming out the porting will likely be a big disappointment, because not many have experience with the job. Then comes all the "typical" speed equipment: headers (1 5/8" tubes of course), cam, heads, gears(?), torque converter, etc. How far you want to go is only limited by the intake manifold. Need more? Get ready to spend, to replace the intake with a freer breathing injection system. And not a TPI. If engine replacement time comes, ANY small block will bolt in.

As a first year model, the biggest problem *I* am aware of is the digital dash. Hopefully yours has been corrected by now. The 700R4 automatic trans was still in the early years of it's evolution and can prove troublesome until after the first failure.

That is what occurs to me, off the top if my head. I'm sure others will chime in with other weaknesses. I've owned mine for over 18 years and it really has been quite reliable, and a reasonably successful bracket racer. It helps to obtain a Factory Service Manual and be prepared to do your own repairs. There is a lot to be learned about how things work, by reading the manual. Enjoy the ride!

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 08:16 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by jack the stripper
first and foremost, GET RID OF THE CEASE FIRE INJECTION! after that, all will be well. by the way, congrats on gettin a vette
Spoken like a TRUE junior member.

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 01:23 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, 20 posts and he's an expert on dual TBI performance enhancement.

Do what CFI suggested. Getting her to breathe better is step #1. Porting the intake and installing a less restrictive exhaust gets you into L98 territory. You can also install the X-Ram manifold if you don't want to do your own porting. Opinions vary on what you will gain from it, read up and be your own judge. Here is the link

http://x-ram.com/catalog.php?action=110&cat_id=1

From there.....well.....speed costs, how fast do you want to go?

Better heads, headers, cam, ECM update, nitrous, the sky is the limit. As CFI said, it's a small block Chevy. You can bolt in any number of replacement engines. The LM1 seems to be popular as an economical replacement, as does the ZZ4 for those who want more power.

Congrats on the Vette.....you're gonna love it.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:16 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Alcee1 is the man when it comes to L83 performance.

his has about 300hp.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:02 AM
ben73
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything you want to know, and more is available on the Crossfire Forum, go here:
http://www.crossfire.webhop.net/

Ben.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:12 AM
silver84
Burning Brakes

Doobie, if you ever have the engine out of the car,
put in a decent camshaft.
The factory cam is unbelieveably lame.

The other noteworthy issue is the intake manifold,
as others have mentioned. It all depends
on the amout of change you want.
IMO, don't change to TPI, which would be a
massive change for a modest improvement.

here is the problem with crossfire:
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/ken/p9150080.jpg
Old 05-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Fubar569
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LM1 goes right in with no mods, all wiring is right, everything bolts on like stock, and is good for a little more (like maybe 5-15hp) than stock. first thing i did was punch out my cat and i made the stock FPR adjustable. i clicked off a 14.688 @ 92.46 mph on totally stock intake and stock sized TB's...

as everyone else has stated, you'll have to open up that intake either by porting or swapping it, with a ported stocker good for about 90% of applications and the xram/sy1/etc. good for medium to heavily modded engines. A good free flowing exhaust is worth alot to these cars after you open up the intake side. once you dig much deeper than that though you'll want to get it tuned in and to DIY you'll need a different ECM. Most popular is the 7747 or the 8746? Bill's HAM allows these to go in with no mods to the wiring harness. The PROMinator he offers allows you to load bin files via laptop without the hassle of erasing and burning your own chips everytime you change something.

L98 aluminum heads are often a cheap upgrade for crossfire owners looking for a little extra power. most of the power boost comes from the increase in compression with these heads. That's not a bad thing though, it's still managable on pump gas. Cams are kind of a grey area with each having preferences. the 112+ LSA myth has been disproven recently by many that do thier own tuning though so if you catch on with the 7747/8746 thing you'll be able to dial in just about any aftermarket cam within reason. just be sure if you swap the cam you do your springs/retainers/locks/etc. at the same time. and new lifters always! i learned that lesson the hard way!

The Crossfire Injection Vault is the most invaluable resourse any owner of this car could ever have! i've learned too much about these things over there and now when someone dogs on my crossfire, i can rip right back. not to mention i can just about take care of anything right in my own driveway. Between there and here, it's like having the knowledge of all the orig engineers and about 300 techs at your fingertips! I owe all these guys (and gals!) a ton!

And most importantly like has also been mentioned, a vette is a vette regardless of it's generation or top end. be sure to enjoy it!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:52 AM
woody1243
Instructor

I too have the 84 crossfire and believe me these guys here and at the crossfire forum are great. Definately the Helms manual. K&N air filter if not already there # is c-1984 (quite the co-incidence huh). Open the exhaust and start working on the cooling issues (fans set to come on at 238 degrees, too hot for my liking.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:05 AM
lighter_up
Instructor

Ya know, it's funny, after I bought my 84 and leaned about the later years, I kinda regreted not getting a TPI but after tricking it out a bit and really getting improved performance, I wouldn't give it up. I like being different. The engine is easy to get at and we have plenty of mods available too. The X-ram kit is available for example at http://x-ram.com/
As far as the high mileage.....ask other members about how to handle that. There's probably a lot of things you should check out that might be ready to be due to normal wear and tear. Biggest thing is you probably want to get that sucka running cool. 160 thermostat, aux fan, because I'm in Hawaii and it's always 85 degrees, I put in a larger radiator and bypassed the fan switch to the ignition. Doesn't get above 185 in traffic (unless the AC is on) Here's some shots of mine.

Last edited by lighter_up; 05-04-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Chris_G
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Man, I miss my 84 they are great cars! Low end torque is awesome and it's a Vette. Enjoy the car

When it comes trans time find someone who knows what they are doing. (Applies to all cars)
Old 05-04-2005, 04:41 PM
ben73
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lighter_up
I wouldn't give it up. I like being different.

Get notified of new replies

To Waking up an 84 Corvette

Old 05-04-2005, 04:59 PM
GeosFun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the '84 is bone stock, I would consider simply removing the entire engine and transmission, intact and storing it. Some of the damnedst things have real collector's value in time and you have a one of a kind Vette. Then I'd stick in an engine of your choice, depending upon how big a performance monkey you are carrying around, and have fun, then when it is time to sell it, put it back to stock. A hot-rodded engine has no more value than your old crossfire to anyone but you. And the comment, above about changing the D-36 for the 44 is a good one if you are making serious HP.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:32 PM
elkabong
Pro

Enjoy it as it is or tell all the naysayers "to be damned with you!" and do what you want.

Put in a 383 like Ben and I have (oh... Ben was my inspiration).

Here is my example of what to do with a 84. My Example......

Enjoying it and having fun with it are the main things - IMHO.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:28 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by GeosFun
Some of the damnedst things have real collector's value in time and you have a one of a kind Vette.
One of a kind? Would that make it different, somehow than the other 51546, 1984's built during the second largest Corvette production run, ever?

Originally Posted by elkabong
Here is my example of what to do with a 84. My Example......
And another example...of one left mostly alone (so far). See signature.

RACE ON!!!

Quick Reply: Waking up an 84 Corvette