C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cam question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:31 PM
96dblblack
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam question/problem

The car is back from getting a pressure line for the power steering pump put in. I am still having issues with the new cam. She will idle fairly well in neutral. If you are sitting at a red light in drive she wants to bog down though. She runs fine under normal exceleration but when you go to wot she wants to bog down again. All I can think is that I do not have the lifters set correctly. Any other thoughts would be great. BTW, 96 Lt1 and the cam specs are really close to the hot cam. they are Dur. @ .050 224 230 lobe sep:112. Thanks in advance
Old 05-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96dblblack
The car is back from getting a pressure line for the power steering pump put in. I am still having issues with the new cam. She will idle fairly well in neutral. If you are sitting at a red light in drive she wants to bog down though. She runs fine under normal exceleration but when you go to wot she wants to bog down again. All I can think is that I do not have the lifters set correctly. Any other thoughts would be great. BTW, 96 Lt1 and the cam specs are really close to the hot cam. they are Dur. @ .050 224 230 lobe sep:112. Thanks in advance
You mean the rockers might not be set correctly? It's certainly possible, and something you should check. Also who reprogrammed your computer? Did you change anything else when you installed the cam?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:05 PM
ar91c4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zix
You mean the rockers might not be set correctly? It's certainly possible, and something you should check. Also who reprogrammed your computer? Did you change anything else when you installed the cam?
hey I have the same cam but it has 110* lode sep..who makes the one you have?Mine is a comp x-treme energy cam.
anyway did you replace the stock converter with a 2500 or higher stall?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:06 PM
96dblblack
Pro

Originally Posted by Zix
Yes, that is what I meant. I have heard it put as adjusting rockers or setting preload on the lifters. At any rate, I just spoke to a engine builder here in Louisville and described how they were adjusted and he thinks it is something else causing the problem. What that is, I have no clue? I did install new valve springs as well as seals. He put me onto someone in Lexington who dyno tunes engines for him. They are called Horsepower House. I was not able to get a valid phone number for them so I will try later.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:08 PM
96dblblack
Pro

Originally Posted by ar91c4
hey I have the same cam but it has 110* lode sep..who makes the one you have?Mine is a comp x-treme energy cam.
anyway did you replace the stock converter with a 2500 or higher stall?
Mine is a comp x-treme energy cam as well. I will be changing out the stall converter later this summer, stock for now. Did you have any of these issuses with your cam as well? I am wondering if it just needs some more miles on it to be broken in better?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Mine is a comp x-treme energy cam as well. I will be changing out the stall converter later this summer, stock for now. Did you have any of these issuses with your cam as well? I am wondering if it just needs some more miles on it to be broken in better?
In my opinion, if you just changed the cam then there really is no "break in" period...it should run right out of the box. So are you still running the stock computer programming?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:49 PM
96dblblack
Pro

Originally Posted by Zix
In my opinion, if you just changed the cam then there really is no "break in" period...it should run right out of the box. So are you still running the stock computer programming?
No, they say there is a break in period for them. Comp Cams even gives directions on what to do. I am still running the stock program as of right now. BTW, I see you have a CE, I love those.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

No, they say there is a break in period for them. Comp Cams even gives directions on what to do. I am still running the stock program as of right now. BTW, I see you have a CE, I love those.
Wel, as I said, my opinion. I'm on my third cam swap now and I've never had to run the engine any differently before or after the swap. Now, I am a little gentle the first 50 or so miles just to be sure everything is setup properly...but after that and an initial oil change it's good to go!

You definatly need to get the computer reprogrammed. The computer can "learn"...but I don't think it can adjust itself that much to run your new cam without some help. I'm getting my computer back from Ed Wright in a couple days...he's done most of my reporgramming and does a good job of it. Feel free to contact him at www.fastchip.com.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:51 PM
dan6712cc
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vacuum leak maybe?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:51 AM
TankerVette
Racer

interesting. I am having the same inexplicable problems. Is it the cam? (see sig)
Old 06-01-2005, 03:00 PM
96dblblack
Pro

Originally Posted by TankerVette
interesting. I am having the same inexplicable problems. Is it the cam? (see sig)
The two cams have the same specs. Is your's a extreme energy? I think my problem might be a vacuum leak. Check all your lines and see if you have a leak and I will let you know if this fixes my problem.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:11 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sure your cam isn't off a tooth ?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:18 PM
TankerVette
Racer

GlockLT4, I am positive. Spent last weekend taking the front end apart to check it... Once I lined up the dots, I actually spent a half hour just staring at the gears to make sure it was right...

(I was really hoping that this was the problem!!)
Old 06-01-2005, 04:19 PM
TankerVette
Racer

Yes, I believe its the exact same cam.

CCA-07-503-8 Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 276/281, Lift .503/.510, Chevy LT1/LT4

I stuck it in last october along with the heads. Drivablility seemed okay until I added longtubes in February. Seems real low on power, rough idle, occasional pop on tip in.

Really annoying.

Replaced Opti (twice),O2 sensors, tested everything, checked everything out, same symptoms.

Gonna try again with a tune soon, but it sure is frustrating...
Old 06-01-2005, 06:37 PM
96dblblack
Pro

Yes, I believe its the exact same cam.

CCA-07-503-8 Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 276/281, Lift .503/.510, Chevy LT1/LT4

I stuck it in last october along with the heads. Drivablility seemed okay until I added longtubes in February. Seems real low on power, rough idle, occasional pop on tip in.

Really annoying.

Replaced Opti (twice),O2 sensors, tested everything, checked everything out, same symptoms.

Gonna try again with a tune soon, but it sure is frustrating...
Yep, we have the same one. I will be getting a tune really soon I hope. Yeah it is a PITA when they don't want to run right. Good luck and if I think of something I will let you know.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:13 PM
ar91c4
Racer

Yep, we have the same one. I will be getting a tune really soon I hope. Yeah it is a PITA when they don't want to run right. Good luck and if I think of something I will let you know.
well my car is a l98 but the cam is reletively the same except for the lobe sep and I had no choice but to put a 2500 or higher stall in or it wouldnt idle at all in gear.I have it idleing fine and driving great but I have a oil issue I cant get resolved now.and as far a a break in period, I believe that only pretains to motors that have had the cam bearings replaced along with the cam.I would call comp and see if the cam you bought requires a stall.does it idle fine out of gear?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GlockLT4, I am positive. Spent last weekend taking the front end apart to check it... Once I lined up the dots, I actually spent a half hour just staring at the gears to make sure it was right...

(I was really hoping that this was the problem!!)

Ok good, cuz i found out today that mine was off for oa year and 4 months

Get notified of new replies

To Cam question/problem

Old 06-01-2005, 08:24 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GlockLT4
Ok good, cuz i found out today that mine was off for oa year and 4 months
Curtis, I'm glad you finally fiqured out your problem.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:31 AM
TankerVette
Racer

ar91c4-I am begining to suspect this also. bigger torque converter...
Old 06-02-2005, 02:39 PM
96dblblack
Pro

ar91c4-I am begining to suspect this also. bigger torque converter...
They "comp cams" recomend that you do the converter as well as headers and tuning. They said that this cam will work a lot better with all this plus some head work. I am doing all this any way so that is why I chose the cam. You can check out their site and thunder racing to see the recomendations for this cam. Good luck

Quick Reply: Cam question/problem