C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LCD Dash Gauges Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:32 PM
lticforce92
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCD Dash Gauges Failure

My 92 vette "LCD" guages does not work after 5~10 minutes of operation. Checked the fuses located on passenger side (dash board). All fuses in "fuse panel" are OK. I have checked the 2 relays that are assocciated with for the Gauges and both are fine (I even replaced both relays), but did not resovle LCD staying operational. There was no "SES" light when engin is running, but when the LCD is about to crap out "Check Gauges" light flashes for 5~10 seconds and bye-bye LCD gauges. The car will still operate as if nothing happened until I shut it off and turn the ignition on I the "check engine soon" light, no LCD gauges and will not start. Windows, headlights, radio functional with no engine start. In order to start the car I must take out the 5 amp cluster fuse, and relay (one of the relays seems to go bonkers when the LCD malfunctions) that makes rapid clicking sounds when the LCD is starting to go out. A couple minutes later plug both the relay and fuse in and turn the key on LCD displays all information, and I can stat the car. I really don't want to take the car to the dealership if I can help it. Any thoughts?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Dougs 90
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Exactly which relay goes bonkers when the LCD dies?
Old 06-02-2005, 02:31 AM
lticforce92
Heel & Toe

Chassis electrical system; Fuse Box, Cluster Fuse-5 AMP. From this "Cluster Fuse" it leads to 2 relays in series, that leads to gauges, sending units, and instrument panel. The relay that goes bonkers is a plug in mini ISO relay, and the GM OEM P/N is 14100455. I hope this info isn't an over kill.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
mudder
1st Gear

where are the fuses in the lcd cluster
Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mudder
where are the fuses in the lcd cluster
You do realize this thread is 7.5 years old! There's no fuse in the LCD proper. The poster's information seems to have been directing interested people to the FSM. I'm actually interested! Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

If relays are clicking it's usually because the voltage is low. The battery or alternator could be bad or there could be a bad connection somewhere. Monitoring the voltage on the instrument panel might be helpful.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM
walltoddj21
5th Gear

Default LCD Gages

I've had a problem with mine as well but no relay sounds just seems to be a cracked board. I've removed and replaced it a dozen times it will work for a while then stop, then come back on. This does not kill my car it still runs fine. I've found a guy in Midwest that will look at it, but I've found no one that said they can fix it!!!

Todd

Get notified of new replies

To LCD Dash Gauges Failure

Quick Reply: LCD Dash Gauges Failure