C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"Time Machine" On the show rides? Blue C4

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 01:46 PM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default "Time Machine" On the show rides? Blue C4

Who's car is that? That said John Menis? Spelling.

Anyone know about this car? Joe Rogan was on the show.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:23 PM
96redvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw it as well last night, but know nothing about it.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:31 PM
TopDownL79
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the car...Looked like fun!
Old 06-29-2005, 02:47 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

John Meaney is the correct spelling. He lives here in michigan and is the godfather of all the aftermarket EFI. Accel, FAST he enginered them all. Now he has his own company called "bigstuff"

The vette is the testbed for his softwhare The car has a 400ci smallblock with 18* heads and two "small" turbos tuned to about 1300hp he said that with bigger turbos he could probably make 1600hp and have it idle like a honda.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:48 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

there used to be an artical on him on the PHR website but it's gone now.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:06 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Ive read a couple articles about the car and the guy. Built by Troy Trepanier and custom EFI by Meaney himself.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:15 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

probably the baddest real street car on teh planet
Old 06-29-2005, 05:58 PM
4bblC4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics????
Old 06-29-2005, 07:40 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

this is his website: http://www.bigstuff3.com/
Old 06-29-2005, 07:57 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

Originally Posted by vetteman9368
probably the baddest real street car on teh planet
Fact, in my mind. This car is insane and has actually been around for a while - a testimony to how well built it all is.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:06 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default John Meaney

I have to agree about all the positive things being said about John Meaney. I have spoke with him two different times and the man is truly first class. No pressure yet very helpful.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Time Machine's Sister

Originally Posted by ToyC4
this is his website: http://www.bigstuff3.com/

I own the sister Corvette to John Meaney's Time Machine Vette. Thanks to your link here I was able to contact his company. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruffis

I own the sister Corvette to John Meaney's Time Machine Vette. Thanks to your link here I was able to contact his company. Thanks for the info!
Tell us about it
Old 06-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Default The story is long but hopefully interesting!

The legendary ASSC Craig Pai Corvette as it appeared in Corvette Fever Magazine in May 1994

The legendary ASSC Craig Pai Corvette as it appeared in Corvette Fever Magazine in May 1994

The legendary ASSC Craig Pai Corvette as it appears today.

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Tell us about it

Craig Pai Co-founder of American Sportscar Service Center A.S.S.C. owned two amazing Corvettes that I have learned about.

One was sold to John Meaney, who turned it into the legendary "Time Machine Corvette". It has been in many magazines and has appeared on the TV show "Rides" (See the link below to view the show).

This is the story of his other Corvette:

Corvette Fever Magazine published a challenge in 1992 for the top Corvette shops in the country to participate in a high speed shoot-out. Legendary names like John Lingenfelter, Doug Rippie, and American Sportscar Service Center (ASSC) answered the call. Lingenfelter and Rippie turned impressive times of 11.17 at 126.97.
Then ASSC stepped to the plate and ran a 10.30 at 138.65 mph! They did it in this 1985 Corvette!

Built by Bill Monnier, Craig Pai, and ASSC, this car made an 8.5 run in the quarter mile at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI.

Using groundbreaking technology, in the early 1990's they showed the world how a street driven Corvette could hit 230MPH and make it look easy!

They crafted their own subtle yet beautifully designed body kit that has lasted more than two decades and still looks great.

On top of all of that, when a guy they had never heard of before sent them an email asking them for help gathering information on a Corvette he had just purchased, they quickly replied with information and photos.

Thanks to LRS Performance ASSC, I now have a copy of the May 1994 issue of Corvette Fever Magazine, which features a Corvette I have the honor of owning. I found the car sitting along a road in northern Illinois with a "for sale" sign in it. The owner only knew that it had some sort of racing history, but he didn't know how much history it really had.

See the May 1994 issue of Corvette Fever Magazine for a feature on this blue 1985 Corvette.

Sadly Craig passed away and the car and motor were split up. The car found it's way to Antioch, IL where it found another owner willing to sink his retirement fund into making it fast again. He then decided he wanted a new Corvette and this car ended up on a hill, along a road, with a "for sale" sign.

I found the car (ok, it was my wife that found it), the owner said he had removed the writing "ASSC" from the car in three places. I used that name to research American Sportscar Service Center which was now called LRS Performance Inc ASSC. With their help I was able to re-connect it with it's high speed history.

It was neat finding the lap belt from the racing harness tucked under the drivers seat, I didn't even know it was still there.

This car was loved by Craig Pai, he sunk a ton of money into it. Sadly his death allowed the car to disappear into automotive anonymity, where it was just another 85 Corvette. In Corvette Fever Magazine there is a photo with a faint image of Craig in the driver's seat of the car he loved, it's almost haunting to see it. I display that photo on the dashboard at shows now. I hope my efforts to connect it with the legendary past he gave it, make him proud and properly honor his story.

It's a shame it is so easy for cars to be lost to history. The car is sold once or twice and the story stops being told.

This Corvette almost lost it's historical connection. The guy I bought it from knew that it had raced but he didn't know much else. It wasn't being sold with any information about it's past. So far I have purchased 25 magazines trying to find the ones it is in, so it can be displayed with it's magazines on the dashboard, and more importantly it's story never stops being told.

In May 1994 this 85 Corvette was titled by Corvette Fever Magazine to be possibly the "Fastest Street Driven Corvette in the World." In the race organized by Corvette Fever Magazine, even the legendary John Lingenfelter and Doug Rippie couldn't even beat this car!

Craig Pai died not long after that. Imagine what he could have accomplished had he lived longer!

This car has a story that spans the decades and touches the lives of a lot of people. That story began in 1985 yet it has many chapters to go. Cars are more than specs and build sheets, they are part of the story of our lives.

The link to my car's sister Corvette as it appeared on the TV show "Rides". Joe Rogan from Fear Factor is the host. Also on the show was the legend Chip Foose. You can skip to 06:51 if you just want to see John Meaney's "Time Machine" Corvette.

Last edited by Ruffis; 06-27-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:07 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Tell us about it
Beautiful car
Old 06-28-2015, 05:04 AM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by enventr
Beautiful car
Thank you very much! I appreciate you taking the time to comment! When you look at the last magazine photo and the current photo of the car which is right below it, you would never guess that 21 years went by between the race shot and the current one!

Time flies like a Corvette!

Last edited by Ruffis; 06-28-2015 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:28 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

wow thanks for the magazine article and the video that was real cool.

Get notified of new replies

To "Time Machine" On the show rides? Blue C4

Old 06-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Default Corvette History

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
wow thanks for the magazine article and the video that was real cool.

You are welcome! Thanks for taking the time to comment! This is a great website full of great Corvette owners! It has been a pleasure being a new member here.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Wow what a fantastic story! Glad to see that the car has found the right home. Keep up the great job!
Old 06-29-2015, 01:23 AM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Default Vette Story

Originally Posted by Dt86
Wow what a fantastic story! Glad to see that the car has found the right home. Keep up the great job!

Thanks! I appreciate the comments! Every time I think I have the full story I keep learning more about it. I am hoping someone will see these posts and know where the motor ended up. I am also hoping more people will share their stories.

I can only imagine how close this car came to getting owned by someone that would have destroyed it. Imagine how Craig Pai would feel seeing that! I plan to make sure that never happens!

I wonder how many legendary cars are out there with stories unknown by their current owners. That almost happened here. The day I bought the car I didn't have a clue all of this would surface, I just liked the car for what it was. If the seller didn't mention that he removed the writing "ASSC" from it none of this would have been put together.

Cars are more than specs and build sheets....they are part of the story of our lives!

Last edited by Ruffis; 06-29-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Quick Reply: "Time Machine" On the show rides? Blue C4