C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cometic or Copper O-ringed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cometic or Copper O-ringed?

Have any of you used the Cometic head gasket or copper w/O-ring? If so, did you have any leaking with them?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris
I got cometics gasket on my now. Before I bought my cometics I have exchange emails with L J on the camaro board. His Z28 running 24psi and made 1000hp with Vortech SY trim. So far he has good sucesss with it. Before that he went thru a few set of copper gasket and it not holding up. But is was not o ring though.

Bruce
Old 07-04-2005, 02:53 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cometics and studs would do the trick. O rings are a pain in the azz to install not to mention expensive.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
89b2k
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
Cometics and studs would do the trick. O rings are a pain in the azz to install not to mention expensive.
Tom, what do you consider expensive? my engine builder is o ringing the heads for $300.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:35 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I o-ringed and receiver grooved heads and block for $300 including the wire. I have a 14/71 on a big chief 509 with copper head gaskets...not a big deal and certainly not expensive to o-ring. Cometic gaskets are made about 90 minutes from where I life and they should hold up fine for you with a bunch of boost. I have never had a copper gasket leak but the way we do them we use the O-ring to push the copper into the groove to form a tight seal and by doing this it is very hard to push the gasket out thus no leaks.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going with the Cometics...I hope I don't have leakage problems. Plan on spraying them with copper coat...seems to be a cure for the minor leakage.
ct
Old 07-07-2005, 01:18 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 89b2k
Tom, what do you consider expensive? my engine builder is o ringing the heads for $300.

Around here its around $500 for an O ring job. I watched a machinist perform the job, it doesn't seem that complicated to do, but I watched the guy make the grooves and install the wire. All had to be done just right for it too all work. Unless you are running very high compression or very high boost levels. I don't think that O rings are a necessity. On the engine I witnessed, it was a 530 inch Pontiac engine running 15:1 compression. One reason as it was explained to me why it was being O ringed was that the Pontiac heads doesn't have the cylinder bolt circle arrangement like a BBC.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:16 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Merlin Pro Race BBC block is o-ringed but I did not have receiver grooves cut inot the heads as they (experts) say it is not required until you reach 1600 hp or so (ok, maybe I'll do it next time). I use studs everywhere along with the rubberized/coated copper head gaskets from Flatout Gaskets and have not had any leaking issues, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Cometic or Copper O-ringed?

Quick Reply: Cometic or Copper O-ringed?