C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Bob CTS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Rear Differential

The differential on my 86 4+3 is leaking a little about a 'penny' size drip for two days of sitting still. I got under it and I started to scratch my head, how much stuff do you have to take off to drain the fluid? Also there is a gasket for the carrier correct??? Just not used to an elaborate array of parts on the differntial. Just looking for some pointers to make it easier.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Unless someone has installed a drain in it, it has to be sucked out through the fill hole. But if you're removing the diff to reseal, you can drain it as you unbolt it. To remove the carrier you'll have to remove the C beam, driveshaft, unbolt the halfshafts at the carrier end, unbolt the camber brackets (with the lower arms still connected) with the 2 bolts per side that hold them to the carrier. This will not disturb your alignment if that's the only place you unbolt them. You can leave the batwing in place. There is no gasket used. Reseal with a quality silicone sealer suitable for this. You may want to install a drain plug while you've got it out. If you do, contact me and I'll give you measurements for locating it in the D44.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Thanks, Is there a way to pull the cover w/o removing the C-beam and undoing the halfshafts it is leaking only where the carrier attaches to the back of the differential. What if the differential was supported before removing the carrier. Just looking at, I have never done this, I am used to removing a simple plate. The drain plug sounds interesting though, what would be the measurements?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:57 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
Unless someone has installed a drain in it, it has to be sucked out through the fill hole. But if you're removing the diff to reseal, you can drain it as you unbolt it. To remove the carrier you'll have to remove the C beam, driveshaft, unbolt the halfshafts at the carrier end, unbolt the camber brackets (with the lower arms still connected) with the 2 bolts per side that hold them to the carrier. This will not disturb your alignment if that's the only place you unbolt them. You can leave the batwing in place. There is no gasket used. Reseal with a quality silicone sealer suitable for this. You may want to install a drain plug while you've got it out. If you do, contact me and I'll give you measurements for locating it in the D44.
You can also install a drain plug while oil is still in it. Corvette Kid can tell you the exact location. Drill hole No need to worry about filings contaminating oil it's flush as old oil comes out.Simply tap and install .
Old 07-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rspreng86
Thanks, Is there a way to pull the cover w/o removing the C-beam and undoing the halfshafts it is leaking only where the carrier attaches to the back of the differential. What if the differential was supported before removing the carrier. Just looking at, I have never done this, I am used to removing a simple plate. The drain plug sounds interesting though, what would be the measurements?
It is possible to remove the batwing after lowering the diff from it's mounting location. In my opinion it is not worth the effort. I either suction gun it out or remove it and split the cover. I only remove it for parts swapping. Seal's etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Differential

Quick Reply: Rear Differential