C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Antenna mast question -- 1993

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Default Antenna mast question -- 1993

Help!

My antenna mast only partly retracts. I read several helpful threads on this issue. Because the motor works, I decided to try the mast replacement solution first. I used the tool to remove the nut, which came off easily. Unfortunately, the sleeve which allows the nut to hold in the mast is stuck in the assembly. I am 99% sure it is not the ribbon sticking at the top -- the mast moves pretty easily to full extension then hits the sleeve and stops dead, even when I pull with with some force.

The sleeve on the replacement kit has two tabs which look like they could lock it into the motor once installed -- so I am curious whether the original mast has these tabs -- and, if so, how those who succeeded in removing the mast dealt with this problem. I'd sure hate to go through the remove and disassemble procedure if I don't have to!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:43 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Yes, the original mast has those locking tabs you describe. Sounds like water has caused the base of your mast to rust in place. I'd try a drop or two of penetrating oil, let it set 10 minutes, then pull on the mast with a pair of locking pliers.

You're going to replace it anyhow, so there's little damage that can be done to it at this point...

Quick Reply: Antenna mast question -- 1993