C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

trying to program new pke fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 01:48 AM
lt4red
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trying to program new pke fob

I keep trying to prgram the key fob on my 96. When I turn the ignition to the on position, The pke light automatically comes on and stays on. I follow the procedure, but the light never goes off. I tried to turn the ignition to the off position, with the key still in, several times and bring the transmitter into range, to no avail. The pke light never starts to flash either. I also know the transmitter is doing something because if it is in range, the pke light will go off, but it isn't programmed for my car so it doesn't do anything. I've read through several threads on the subject, but can't find a solution, and have tried several different ways of doing it. I do have a chime letting me know the key is in the ignition. I've read this could prevent you from programming if it doesn't work. Anyone know why the pke light would stay on in the DIC?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:32 AM
lt4red
Racer

I also read the pke is sensitive to the radio being on. I have an aftermarket stereo, so does anyone know how pke ties into the stereo?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The radio must be "off" during programming. The PKE has 2 fuses.#1 is 26 on the pass/side fuse panel. #2 is 40 in the same panel. It,s the radio PKE & head unit. One could be on vacation?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:48 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question, but are you sure your new FOB is completely out of range?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 PM
lt4red
Racer

I have checked both fuses with a meter and they are fine. I have also noticed while trying to program it that when I turn the ignition back to off, the light stays on solid, but when I bring the fob into range the light goes off. It is obviously recognizing the fob, but not accepting it. I can't get it into programming mode, but the receiver is still functioning if it's recognizing the fob.

I have brought the fob atleast 30 ft away and still no workie.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:17 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lt4red
I have checked both fuses with a meter and they are fine. I have also noticed while trying to program it that when I turn the ignition back to off, the light stays on solid, but when I bring the fob into range the light goes off. It is obviously recognizing the fob, but not accepting it. I can't get it into programming mode, but the receiver is still functioning if it's recognizing the fob.

I have brought the fob atleast 30 ft away and still no workie.
Ok, another stupid idea. Have you tried popping the battery from the FOB and either replacing it, or 'resetting' it? Some times it works.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:41 AM
lt4red
Racer

yes, the battery is new. I pm'd another forum member who had the same problem in another thread and he said he had to change out the module in the dash and now it works fine. Does anyone know the part number for that or a good place to look to find it?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default PKE Issues

Welcome to the club buddy - sounds like you and I have the same issues. My PKE will not go into reprogramming mode as specified by the instructions I got with my new FOB - I am starting to think the module has just gone south and probably needs replaced. Does anyone know - A: Where it is and how much it costs and how hard it is to get to? Should I just let the dealer do it?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:21 PM
lt4red
Racer

From what I've read changing it involves tearing apart a good portion of the dash because you have to raise the top dash pad to get it out.

I found the part number It is 10261112. If you go to gmpartsdirect.com and type in this number in the search it shows up for around 185.00 before shipping I think. And they do charge quite a bit for shipping, but I don't think you'll find it new any cheaper.

Get notified of new replies

To trying to program new pke fob

Quick Reply: trying to program new pke fob