C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

new gt42 for sale on ebay if anyone's interested

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 02:16 PM
briannutter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default new gt42 for sale on ebay if anyone's interested

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 07-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi Brian
I remember you. You have email me a few times to follow up on my turbo project. You are from Wiesco piston right?? I am curious why you decide to not finish the turbo. I have a few frustration my self as well. But Rick and I gradually work out the bugs and it seems to be alright. Cost is no doublt is darn expensive. Buying misc parts ranging from $100 to few hundred almost weekly.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce; 07-18-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:57 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

I hate to say it, but this turbo isn't big enough for a V8. If you're running low boost it will only flow around 500hp, if you're running 20psi or so then you'll be in the compressors sweet spot, but you're gonna need one heck of an engine to back it up.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:09 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

depending on which one it is, the small GT42 is a T70GTS equivalent while the larger version is same size as the T74GTS... if you go to pro turbo kits website they explain how to decipher the trim of the turbo and you can mathmatically arrive at the diameter of the inducer for the compressor which shows what i mentioned above.. it is actually a very good deal for this turbo.. I can say from experience that watching one of the GT42R ballbearing version on a supra.. when you get it in its sweet spot... it with make your blood curdle and the hair on the back of your neck stand at attention from how nice it sounds!

Brian is this the larger of the two GT42's?

Chris
Old 07-19-2005, 09:17 AM
briannutter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default yep, it's the big one

Yep, it's the bigger of the two w/ the 102mm compressor wheel diameter. It's also got the big thumper turbine housing so it can get rid of the exhaust properly for quicker spool vs. t4 stuff. It's really efficient to 900hp and a LOT of my customers report well over 1000hp with it. I myself am running on street tires, never on slicks, as it's my daily driver . As such, I can't have any drivetrain breakage. My customers (I'm the Wiseco guy) report that about 850-950hp is about where things got impossible to drive on stickey dot's without switching lanes everytime it's boosted. - so I was looking for something that's REALLY efficient in the 600-700hp range on pump gas. This turbo is asleep at that number.

As for why I'm giving it up. Timing mostly. My '94 is my daily driver-even in the Cleveland winter. Only 5 days last year did I have to borrow the Wife's WRX to get to work. Back in the old days I would have run up a credit card with $3500 worth of components needed to finish the project properly. I learned my lesson about that a long time ago. Now I save a couple hundred here and there until some "emergency" comes up.

I'm going the instant gratification route and getting some afr's with the proceeds from the sale. I've already got the new COMP cam and valvetrain to match to get me up to the 420rwhp number. At some point, I'll get another car so I can take the Vette off the street for an extended period to do the turbo. Heck, by that time BTF will have a whole kit for $3500 that he can bolt on in 20 minutes

Get notified of new replies

To new gt42 for sale on ebay if anyone's interested

Quick Reply: new gt42 for sale on ebay if anyone's interested