C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Manual tranny guys - do you burn out in 1st or 2nd gear when at the strip

Old 07-20-2005, 09:50 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Manual tranny guys - do you burn out in 1st or 2nd gear when at the strip

I've been doing 1st and get a good burnout but I'm thinking about trying in 2nd to get more speed, especially since I have 4.10s but I'm afraid I'll just kill it.

If you are doing 2nd gear burnouts, what rpm are you dumping at?

Please also mention if you have 3.42s, 4.10s, etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

With 3.45's I use 1st gear only, I can do a second gear burnout while driving down the road, but I wouldn't attempt it from a standstill.

With 4.10 gears, you may be better off with a 2nd gear burnout for more wheel speed, but only if you get the tires wet first.

I saw a dude at the track do a 3rd gear burnout with 4.10's, by his third run, he had blown the clutch. He was on slicks also.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:29 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
With 4.10 gears, you may be better off with a 2nd gear burnout for more wheel speed, but only if you get the tires wet first.
with 4.10's, I do my burnouts in second gear.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:27 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

I use second gear. My 92 has 3.45's and is pretty much stock (Corsa, cut lid and K&N), but I do have 315's on the rear. I rev it up to about 3500-4000 and let out the clutch about half way and once it just starts to grab, let it the rest of the way out really hard (pop it basically, but the way I do it, it takes some of the shock out of the driveline and its not as hard on the clutch, rearend and half shafts ect.), then very quickly stand on the brakes and modulate the throttle.
I did burnouts in first gear for the first few times at the track with the car when I first got it, but once I tried it in second... well you get so much more wheel speed and smoke. Plus on the street you can do rolling power brakes for ever in second, with almost 70mph of rear wheel speed it looks pretty bad ***.
Will
Old 07-21-2005, 06:31 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on your power level, tire choice and rear gearing.

My mustang gt had about 460 crank hp with 3.73's. I used second gear with m/t e.t. drags and never had clutch problems etc.

The 'vette...I put it in 2nd and kept it at 5500 for a good 4-5 seconds.

In most cases if you're skeptical, keep it in first and play it safe. When you see smoke, pull forward, stage and HAMMER IT!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:58 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would think 2nd gear burnouts are much harder on the car actually, since it requires more torque from the motor than does 1st. You're dumping 50% more torque onto the clutch.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

With the LT4 and 4:10s I used 2nd, With the 396 and 3:75s I use 2nd also.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:11 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Thanks everyone!

I'm running about 420 crank hp with 4:10's so I'm gonna give 2nd a shot again.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Lionsden
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

2nd gear in the water box. Feather the throttle when leaving the water. Back to first for a dry hop.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:49 PM
ALLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lionsden
2nd gear in the water box. Feather the throttle when leaving the water. Back to first for a dry hop.
Oh no, not the dreaded dry hop.

Just come screeching out of the box full bore and let the slicks hook dry track. This insures your axles, u-joints will be good and spongey for that extra "snap" so to speak, off the line.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:25 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
With 3.45's I use 1st gear only, I can do a second gear burnout while driving down the road, but I wouldn't attempt it from a standstill.

I saw a dude at the track do a 3rd gear burnout with 4.10's, by his third run, he had blown the clutch. He was on slicks also.
Not tryin' to hijack this thread but it seems like I'm in the right place for some SPIRITED DRIVING SCHOOLING so pls allow me to chime in.

So are you saying that you will be cruisin' down the road in 2nd, rev it up & dump the clutch? Never tried that...

And, would you do a stopped burnout starting out in 2nd? Never tried that...

Also wonder if it is safe/smart to grab 2nd while the wheels are still at "full spin" in a 1st gear burnout? Never tried that....at least not to "that extent".

What are some good launch rpms (through experience) for maximum street grab?

Believe me, I've gotten on it in this baby numerous times but I'd like some good examples of what I can (safely ?) get away with w/o trashin' it.

In other word what's do-able?

I love this car & I find myself being overly cautious because of that. I know this baby can take a helluvalot more #$@! than I've been dishing.

Need some tips from fellow owners w/ similar setups who have crossed that line.

See my sig & let me know what is in the boundaries of sanity yet still a kick in the A$$!

Thx,
Jeff

Sorry for the hijack but we're kinda on the same subject & the members posting on this thread seem to be the ones that would have the answers I seek.

BTW...No smarta$$ replies, just some experienced advice would be cool.

Last edited by JEFNLSA; 07-22-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:07 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i assume (hope) all of you using the water box are going so only on slicks?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:52 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Jefnlsa - from what I understand you can "almost" do anything to these cars if you are street tires.

Slicks - now that's a different story. I'm a little scared of slicks, I'm not looking to set any land speed records so drag radials do the trick for me. I may go to some ET Streets (which are supposedly stickier than the BFG's drag radials I'm using) eventually if they have an 18" tire but I don't think they do last time I checked.

Even with drag radials, I think you'll be hard pressed to break anything. I've done tons of 4-5K clutch drops and the car just asks for me so don't worry about breaking anything. And there are guys here on the forum that are a LOT harder on their cars than me with no problems.

It's pretty amazing actually what these cars will take and not break!
Old 07-22-2005, 07:59 PM
redrage
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock 3.45(soon to be 4.10) I do 2nd gear burn out at about 4k with e.t streets and launch at 5600rpm
Old 07-22-2005, 09:01 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

ET streets on 18" wheels kind of defeat the point of having them in the first place.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:08 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

[QUOTE=JEFNLSA]

Really, whatever you do, avoid smoking the clutch. Dropping into a gear too high for your speed with the motor reved up can do that.

If you go into 2nd from a first gear burnout, you WILL get traction as soon as you push the clutch in. Just make sure you have plenty of room, that's when all the bad things happen.

At the track, I've clutch shifted getting on the throttle way too early, and this will bark or spin the tires into any gear. It's really hard on the drivetrain if you don't spin em. And there's really no reason to do it.

Also, don't do burnouts in reverse.

2nd gear burnouts? Now, I've tried unsuccessfully. Maybe I need a backwards starts.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:32 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Jeff
Every car is different but I will say the C-4 Vette will withstand alot more abuse than you would ever think, espc with street tires.
I can't say for everyone's car obviously (or driving style), but I know mine will spin the tires from a dead stop in second gear, on dry pavement if I drop the clutch from about 4000rpm. I almost never do this b/c I know its really hard on the driveline, thats why in the water box I use the "soft hit" clutch drop I described above, I also use this methood when launching the car off the line it works pretty well for me, but it takes alot of practice to do properly in a car as powerful as a 6spd Corvette. As for driving along then reving it up and dropping it in second, I wouldn't advise it.
So far I've put about 15K miles on my 92 and its been to the race track 5-6 times and has about 20 1/4 mile passes. It's my DD and honestly I drive it pretty hard on the street, at oportune times. I haven't broke anything other than a coolant hose I knew I should have replaced the weekend before.
My car currently has 3.45 rear gears, ZR-1 wheels with 315 Sumitimo's, a K&N, a cut lid, and a Corsa cat back. Everything else is stock 92 67,000 mile 6spd Corvette. So far my best time 1/4 mile is a 13.54 @106mph. My best 1/8mile is 8.50.
Will

Get notified of new replies

To Manual tranny guys - do you burn out in 1st or 2nd gear when at the strip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual tranny guys - do you burn out in 1st or 2nd gear when at the strip