C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Injector question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:06 PM
85A4Coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector question

This is probobly a foolish question but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

On the bottom of each injector is a plastic cover, What is it's purpose?

Looking at it, it looks like it directs the spray but I'm not real sure.

Thanks for indulging me.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Theyre called pental caps.Be sure all your injectors still have them.Some of mine were cracked and missing half of the plastic.Not sure the exact purpose but always assumed it was to do something with the fuel spray pattern as well.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:34 PM
85A4Coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill's86Coupe
Theyre called pental caps.Be sure all your injectors still have them.Some of mine were cracked and missing half of the plastic.Not sure the exact purpose but always assumed it was to do something with the fuel spray pattern as well.

Oh...Lovely

My car started running rough at light throttle yesterday. I spent half of yesterday checking things out and couldn't find anything wrong...This morning i decided to pull the injectors out and see if one of the had some trash leading into them...When I pulled them out this cap was missing on one of them.

Would this explain the missing feeling at light throttle.... Anything above that it runs fine.

I appreciate your help Bill,
Jess
Old 08-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Jess,
I can honestly say I have no idea if replacing the caps that are missing would help,BUT it should be done anyways.

Theres alot of contributing factors that can cause the problems you described.It can be a bad plug,bad plug wire,loose plug,loose wire,bad cap,rotor,module,egr sticking,etc.Theres alot of variables.Ive been down that road before.

If you want,take all 8 of your injectors and send them www.cruzinperformance.com and he will rebuild them all if they are rebuildable and its a fantatsic way to save money.Rich at cruzin performance did my injectors for another GM car and did fantastic service for the money.He even put the old bad parts in a bag to let me see what he replaced along with an online flow sheet and spray pattern test and etc.Cant go wrong with that.

Good luck and hope some of this helps.

Last edited by Aggravated4life; 08-01-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:50 PM
85A4Coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill's86Coupe
Jess,
I can honestly say I have no idea if replacing the caps that are missing would help,BUT it should be done anyways.

Theres alot of contributing factors that can cause the problems you described.It can be a bad plug,bad plug wire,loose plug,loose wire,bad cap,rotor,module,egr sticking,etc.Theres alot of variables.Ive been down that road before.

If you want,take all 8 of your injectors and send them www.cruzinperfomance.com and he will rebuild them all if they are rebuildable and its a fantatsic way to save money.Rich at cruzin performance did my injectors for another GM car and did fantastic service for the money.He even put the old bad parts in a bag to let me see what he replaced along with an online flow sheet and spray pattern test and etc.Cant go wrong with that.

Good luck and hope some of this helps.

Everything above you mentioned is new Bill. New ACDelco plugs, New Mallory 8.8 Wires, New D.U.I. Cap Rotor coil and module, New Accel Injectors but the EGR is original though.

I'll figure out something....Now that you mentioned the ERG it's got me thinking for sure

Thanks Bill,
Jess

Get notified of new replies

To Injector question

Quick Reply: Injector question