C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Analog Gauges in a C4

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Bitter Knight
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Analog Gauges in a C4

Hey there,

I never really got around to fixing my gauges--I'm acutally considering switching to analog gauges in my '84. Although it's going to be time consuming, it doesn't appear to be impossible. I like the Autometer Gauges, but I'm open to suggestions. What I'd really like to see are pictures from some folks who have actually done this. I've already been to Batee.com, but I'd like to see some more pics. Anybody out there have any, or any links?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This I want to see....
Old 08-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might work for you...try http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/replace.shtml

Old 08-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Chance
Team Owner

Location: I was a young troubadour when I rode in on a song, and I'll be an old troubadour when I'm gone.
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Curveit
Never seen that link before. Looks like a pretty clean installation, but I would have chosen some more attractive gauges, maybe some whiteface guages or something a bit more stylish.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Bitter Knight
Pro

Okay, thanks for the link--but remember, I've already seen that one--like a million times. I want to see something else.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Curveit
Drifting

X-FireChance...I agree; I would'a used Autometer w/5" speedo & tach. I think it would be a cool, but pretty involved mod.

Bitter Knight... That's all I got.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:10 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

The speedo sensor is connected to the dash and the dash feeds the ECM with a speedo signal on another wire. If you just remove the stock dash the TCC lockup in the tranny will not work because the ECM does not get a speedo signal.

Also you will lose the cruise control. That is also a part of the dash electronics.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:50 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

If you visit the National Corvette Museum, you'll see a set of pre-production analog guages for the C4 on display. Apparently the engineeers were concerned the electronic displays would not hold up long enough to pass production launch and cobbled up a set as a backup.

They're just standard GM guages used in production GM cars of that era, but it looks neat. Sorry, no pictures.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:35 AM
nitronick
Race Director

Bitter Knight,

You wanna sell your digital cluster?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Page 1987Z51. He did his with autometer gauges and did a superclean job. I've seen the car up close, looks great! Maybe you can get him to post a pic!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Bitter Knight
Pro

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that you lose the cruise control--it never worked anyway. I'm pretty sure there's a way around the converter lock up as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing the pre-production gauges.

Nitronick, right now, it's not for sale--simply because I don't know how long it's going to take me to do this. But once it's done, who knows? Whenever I post my results, i'm sure you'll find out.

I like the Autometer gauges as well. I remember seeing someone's Vette on the web with Autometer gauges. I believe the car was silver. Very clean job! He used the Autometer carbon fiber gauges--I think I want to go that way too.

I know it's not a walk in the park to do. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone else has attempted it. But--I'm still waiting for some new pictures! Come on! Give me your best shot! I know there are some more out there!!

Again, thanks for the info. Each post has been very helpful.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're going to do it, do it right Take a look at "my corvette photos"

<---------------

Not a stock dash, but at least you can see guages. Pay special attention to the redline (blue line?) It's top-shelf classy.

If you have questions about the wiring let me know. Mine work fine (except the speedo, it's not hooked up right now). My car is a 93, so there may be some differences.

Nitro, I have the cluster from my 93 if that matches your car.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 08-03-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Bitter Knight
Pro

Hey, that "blue line" is definitely top notch! Heck, it's even adjustable! Thanks for the pic--the white faced gauges are pretty cool. It's a little racy for what I plan, but still, very well done!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:00 PM
wpsrea
Instructor

Back in the mid to late '80s, a company(don't remember who) made a replacement instrument cluster that included all analog gages. I have been searching for one of these for some time but have not been able to locate any info on it.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Bitter Knight
Pro

I wonder if that was Eckler's? They always had a knack for things nobody else had.

Also, I found 1987 Z51's website. It's http://corvetteobsession.com/CorvetteObsession_07.html
This link goes to the list of modifications.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:16 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy crap! I never want to look at that much wiring again.

Beautifo end result though (1987 z51).
Old 08-03-2005, 07:36 PM
nitronick
Race Director

Nitro, I have the cluster from my 93 if that matches your car.
93 was after they did the interior change.
84 thru 90 was similar, but from some sources the 84 has to have 84 lcds. 85 thru 90, while some small differences would work.

Get notified of new replies

To Analog Gauges in a C4

Old 08-03-2005, 09:07 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by X-FireChance
Never seen that link before. Looks like a pretty clean installation, but I would have chosen some more attractive gauges, maybe some whiteface guages or something a bit more stylish.

no joke, with that much time and money lets see some cool gauges
Old 08-03-2005, 11:17 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bitter Knight
Hey, that "blue line" is definitely top notch! Heck, it's even adjustable! Thanks for the pic--the white faced gauges are pretty cool. It's a little racy for what I plan, but still, very well done!
Obviously my primary goal was weight...Plus I love my cool blue line

But my main purpose in posting was to offer help if you need it when you do the install.

Have you checked Autometer's website? They have some really cool stuff, much more interesting than the black on white. I needed contrast for quick looks, though.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Bitter Knight
Pro

ScaryFast,

I appreciate the offer for help--I just may take you up on it when I find myself up to my armpits in wires! It'll still be a while before I get started though.

I've been to Autometer's website plenty! I'm leaning towards the carbon fiber ones, like 1987 Z51. I like it because it's not your traditional look. The Stewart Warner and VDO gauges don't do it for me--Especially the VDOs, they make me feel like I'm behind the wheel of an early 80's European car. Gimmie Autometer any day of the week! Once I gather all of my pieces together, I'll be ready to rock and roll on the wiring.

Dan, I don't envy you one bit on the wiring! However, I agree, the end result is first class! That's by far the nicest gauge panel I've ever seen. The rest of the car isn't bad either!

I guess that's it for the pictures. I was really hoping to see something that I haven't seen before (besides those from ScaryFast). I really appreciate the input guys. I've got a pretty good idea of how I'm going to tackle this project. You've all been very helpful! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Analog Gauges in a C4