C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bars Radiator Stop Leak...safe for the vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:20 PM
OdinsRage
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, there is, and its the bars leak tablet or powdered stuff

organic mainly, no metals or solvents,

but only use the powder or powder pellets.

Works great, GM recommended for many cars in the past,

anyone remember the caddy HT-4100 4.1 v8?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
RAGOVET
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Put some in my vette for preventative. No problems.
It was also recommended in the book, "101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984 - 1996" by Richard Newton i

Last edited by RAGOVET; 08-14-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:36 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

If you really need an emergency, limp-home fix, pour a can of ground black pepper in your radiator.

No SHET! It'll fix the leak long enough for you to flatbed it home or to a garage and will easily flush out when it's time to.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Roxanna
Cruising

I know. It's an old thread. I have used Bars Leak for years with no problems. It's in my 63 and my 94. The 94 came from the factory with it in the cooling system. Suzuki requires it in their motorcycle engines. The Navy used it in the Nautilus.

"Wade A. from North Carolina has a keen eye while reading: in the book “Nautilus 90 North,” he noticed that the stop leak Commander Anderson used in the 1958 Nautilus submarine voyage under the Arctic ice cap was the same stuff you can buy in stores for your car.

Yes, you read that right: Bar’s Leaks was used successfully in a historic nuclear submarine voyage under the North Pole ice."
Old 01-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Roxanna
I know. It's an old thread. I have used Bars Leak for years with no problems. It's in my 63 and my 94. The 94 came from the factory with it in the cooling system. Suzuki requires it in their motorcycle engines. The Navy used it in the Nautilus.

"Wade A. from North Carolina has a keen eye while reading: in the book “Nautilus 90 North,” he noticed that the stop leak Commander Anderson used in the 1958 Nautilus submarine voyage under the Arctic ice cap was the same stuff you can buy in stores for your car.

Yes, you read that right: Bar’s Leaks was used successfully in a historic nuclear submarine voyage under the North Pole ice."
So I guess next time I'm driving my 'vette under the North Pole ice sheet, I'll put in some "Bars Leaks".

P.S. This thread isn't just old, it downright decrepit. Zombie threads - gotta love 'em.

Last edited by Silver96ce; 01-04-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

The 94 came from the factory with it in the cooling system. Suzuki requires it in their motorcycle engines.

Where did you see that?

If it needed stop leak, it sounds like the cooling system wasn't built properly.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:34 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
So I guess next time I'm driving my 'vette under the North Pole ice sheet, I'll put in some "Bars Leaks".

P.S. This thread isn't just old, it downright decrepit. Zombie threads - gotta love 'em.
Only if you are driving the USS Nautilus and not the Nautilus from 20000 leagues under the sea.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Roxanna
Cruising

Originally Posted by aklim
Where did you see that?

If it needed stop leak, it sounds like the cooling system wasn't built properly.
It's in the book "Nautilus 90 North" The leak was in the nuclear reactor. The fix would have required cutting a hole in the pressure hull. The Bars Leak remained in the system until she was decommissioned in 1980.

Back when I was racing Alpha Romeos we always put one pint of Bars leak in the engine to prevent electrolysis. The Alphas had aluminum engines with copper radiators.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:00 AM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Coolant supplement

Original owner of 1996 Corvette LT4. I have changed my 96's coolant every 5 years like the owners manual says and also every time I added the supplement as per the owners manual
When I have changed the coolant I drain radiator and remove both knock sensors to get a complete drain of coolant every 5 years.
Will do it again in 2016. I don't flush, just drain the system and use distilled water with original type anti-freeze.

Last edited by 70ZZ3 96LT4; 01-06-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

It's in the book "Nautilus 90 North" The leak was in the nuclear reactor. The fix would have required cutting a hole in the pressure hull. The Bars Leak remained in the system until she was decommissioned in 1980.

Back when I was racing Alpha Romeos we always put one pint of Bars leak in the engine to prevent electrolysis. The Alphas had aluminum engines with copper radiators.
I usually AVOID anything that is cheap and easy since I can't afford them. You pay less today, sure. However, they are like getting money from a loan shark. Tomorrow you pay in spades. Every cheap and easy fix I have ever done has come to bite me in the azz or if I have sold it, the new owner gets the bite. I'd use this as a "Hail Mary" right before sale and let the new owner deal with it after full disclosure so I sleep at night better.

Did anyone test for electrolysis and verify that it does exist before dumping in the stuff? How is it different than changing out the coolant BEFORE it wears out? Mercedes recommends a coolant change every 3 years. To most people, a flush just means drain radiator and add coolant. I drain the block and flush the holes on each side (remove KS on passenger side and coolant hose to oil cooler on driver side), I also activate the heater to make sure the valves are open. I drive for a few miles and drain the block again and flush again.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 70ZZ3 96LT4
Original owner of 1996 Corvette LT4. I have changed my 96's coolant every 5 years like the owners manual says and also every time I added the supplement as per the owners manual
When I have changed the coolant I drain radiator and remove both knock sensors to get a complete drain of coolant every 5 years.
Will do it again in 2016. I don't flush, just drain the system and use distilled water with original type anti-freeze.
I flush every 3 and drain coolant every spring. I don't use DexCool. Just the green stuff. Not really sure what the supplement does. Some have thought that you can use soap detergent or Water Wetter. Tried it for a bit but haven't noticed anything different from the scanner.

Quick Reply: Bars Radiator Stop Leak...safe for the vette?