C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dielectric or Heat Sink Compound...????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Dielectric or Heat Sink Compound...????

What is the proper material to apply to the Ignition Coil/Ignition Coil Module plate when you bolt it up to the engine?

I've heard heat sink compound but a new ignition control module comes with dielectric to be applied. Which is correct?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I would guess the Di-electric would be for the electrical plugs.The heat sink paste is not like the stuff at radio shack either it has to be the right stuff for the application.It is strange it did not come with it.I have read enough horror stories about not using it or using the wrong stuff to wamt to get it right myself.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:06 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You use heat sink grease because you want the maximum transfer of heat OUT of the spark control module !
Old 08-17-2005, 06:29 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to the electronics parts store and buy the Z9 compund for $2.00 bux

Last edited by pablocruise; 08-17-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm sorry for seeming so dense but why would GM include "AC Delco Silicone Grease.. containing Polysiloxane and Silica 1" and the Helms service manual say on both installing the mounting plate for the coil assembly and the ignition coil module to use silicone grease.

Is dielectric grease (polydimethylsiloxane and amorphous silica) the same as silicone grease supplied with the module or a new mounting plate?

Oh one other thing is in the service manual it has a picture of apply the grease to the module and it is titled "Dielectric Grease Application."

Last edited by 93JetJocky; 08-17-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:14 PM
kize
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good question- But from what I've understood in the past, a Dielectirc grease is used for its insulation properties- not heat transfer. Thermal compounds are used for heat transfer and are thermally conductive and sometimes even electrically conductive. If the application requires heat transfer- use thermal paste. There are many types of paste- look for ones with proper applications and you will be fine.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by 93JetJocky
I'm sorry for seeming so dense but why would GM include "AC Delco Silicone Grease.. containing Polysiloxane and Silica 1" and the Helms service manual say on both installing the mounting plate for the coil assembly and the ignition coil module to use silicone grease.

Is dielectric grease (polydimethylsiloxane and amorphous silica) the same as silicone grease supplied with the module or a new mounting plate?

Oh one other thing is in the service manual it has a picture of apply the grease to the module and it is titled "Dielectric Grease Application."
Mabey the stuff you have is a heat sink silicon paste I just have never heard it called Di-electric before and I too thought Di-electric grease was for insulating connectors and plug wire.I would say check with a er um dealer to see what they use.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well since I didn't have enough heat sink compound left, I used dielectric grease. When I was at NAPA today, having two ignition control modules checked, I asked about heat sink grease. They had never heard of using that, they always use and recommend dielectric.

I guess this debate will go on, I perplexed that GM would provide dielectric grease with the module and state that in the manual and have an illustration showing how to apply it with a figure title that says dielectric grease application.

I'm so confused.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:20 AM
RichardJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're overthinking this. Just get the stuff from Radio Shack or whoever is close to you. The one from Radio Shack is called silicon-base heat sink compound. jeeze

Get notified of new replies

To Dielectric or Heat Sink Compound...????

Quick Reply: Dielectric or Heat Sink Compound...????