C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700R4 Vette 5200 WOT Shift Governor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Default 700R4 Vette 5200 WOT Shift Governor?

I see advertised a 700R4 Corvette WOT 5200 Shift Governor. What is the difference between this governor and the 'regular' 700R4 governor? Weights? Plastic Gear?

Reason being I have a rebuilt tranny and it don't shift like the original used to. The 3-4 upshift occurs at 37 mph. Would like to make it like the original tranny where it shifted more towards the mid 40's mph.

Will swapping out governors do the trick - assuming they did not use a corvette governor in my rebuilt one?

Or do I just need to play with the weights and springs on the stock governor?

Last edited by Flame Red; 08-25-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Swap out the complete governor. You likely have a regular passenger car trans with a plain jane governor.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:00 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

It sounds like you need to adjust the TV cable as that is what governs part throttle shift points and shift feel.

The governor only governs WOT shifts; you can buy a B&M Governor Recalibration Kit from Summit to modify the WOT shift points. This is done by changing the small weights & springs within the governor.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65Z01
It sounds like you need to adjust the TV cable as that is what governs part throttle shift points and shift feel.
The TV cable is adjusted properly. I think it is an urban myth that the TV cable is a way of adjusting shift points - it is a easy way to burn up a tranny!

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700r4.htm

#6. Do not attempt to adjust the shift timing with the throttle valve cable. The shift timing is controlled by the governor springs. For higher shift points at wide-open throttle, install lighter springs. For lower shift points at wide-open throttle, install stronger springs.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Pete K
Race Director

The weights are part of the equasion also.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:19 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

If you replace the springs you can vary the spread of the shift points.
You can get the 1-2 shift at a different rpm than the 2-3 shift, etc..
Old 08-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

I got one of these 700R4 Vette governors and the only thing I see from the picture is that the gear is blue rather than white as on the original. It looks like the same number of teeth from the picture.

I will have to pull the one in there now and compare the weights and springs. I guess the right thing to do is to:

1. Pull the original
2. Stick in the vette one - note the difference.
3. If it still is not the same, change the weights and the springs, one step at a time.

Looking at the manual it says to pull the exhaust and x-brace. I hope I don't have to do that - it would be a real PITA, especially if I need to change springs and weights a lot of times thru trial and error.

I wish I had a lift
Old 08-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I got one of these 700R4 Vette governors and the only thing I see from the picture is that the gear is blue rather than white as on the original. It looks like the same number of teeth from the picture.

I will have to pull the one in there now and compare the weights and springs. I guess the right thing to do is to:

1. Pull the original
2. Stick in the vette one - note the difference.
3. If it still is not the same, change the weights and the springs, one step at a time.

Looking at the manual it says to pull the exhaust and x-brace. I hope I don't have to do that - it would be a real PITA, especially if I need to change springs and weights a lot of times thru trial and error.

I wish I had a lift
PITA is an understatement. Wait till you drive the cover back on without damaging the o ring. Not fun at all.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:58 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The governor only governs WOT shifts; you can buy a B&M Governor Recalibration Kit from Summit to modify the WOT shift points. This is done by changing the small weights & springs within the governor.
WRONG, irresponsible, advice like that is going to end up costing someone a transmission, some day. Any change in shift points by adjusting the TV cable, is merely coincidental. The TV cable is to be properly adjusted and left alone. An out of adjustment TV cable can make short work of an otherwise healthy transmission. Shame! Shame!

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:08 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The governor governs the part throttle shift piont also!
I made 3 attempt to fine tune my WOT shift points (I raised it..with the B&M recalibration kit changing only the weights...)
Part throttle shift points changed too, expecially the 3 to 4 shift delayed up to 20 mph!
-Beppe-

Get notified of new replies

To 700R4 Vette 5200 WOT Shift Governor?

Quick Reply: 700R4 Vette 5200 WOT Shift Governor?