C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

O2 sensor removal procedure (L98)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:45 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default O2 sensor removal procedure (L98)

Hey guys,

Just about to pull the old O2 sensor off my '89 L98 (stock exhaust) and replace it with a new AC Delco unit.

Before I start, are there any 'suprises' I should be aware of? Do I need to put a torch to the old sensor for easier removal, or will something like PB Blaster be a better idea? Should I invest in one of those O2 sensor removal tools, or will a standard wrench work fine? Should I be using high-temp anit-seaze compound on the new sensor (I don't think it has any on the threads)?

Any and all tips, hints, and advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:03 PM
87vette
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A standard wrench will work fine. Unscrew the O2 sensor out and unlug it from the wiring harness and instal the new one.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:50 PM
thecatmac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried getting mine off, with the car jacked up I just couldn't get enough muscle on the wrench. I took the new part to a muffler shop and told them I would give them cash and no paperwork to put it on. Cost me $20.00
Old 09-17-2005, 03:09 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Lefty loosey. That's about it. You can unplug the pigtail first. That way the wire won't get twisted up as you unscrew the sensor. With the wire unplugged, it's easy to slide a box end wrench over the sensor. If it is really snug, you can tap on the other end of the wrench with a hammer. The new O2 will have the proper coating on the threads.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 01:13 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Thanks guys, but you all forgot to mention one tiny little thing...

CAREFUL NOT TO CROSS-THREAD THE NEW ONE!!!!!!!

I NOW HAVE A BRAND-SPANKIN' NEW AC DELCO O2 SENSOR WITH THE THREADS SO BADLY MANGLED AFTER TRYING TO INSTALL IT ON MY CAR THAT IT'S COMPLETELY RUINED!!! WHAT A JOKE!!!

I haven't tried to put the old one back on yet, but quite frankly, if I look at that car again, I will be putting a torch to it! Why is it that even simple jobs like changing an O2 sensor have to be such an ordeal!?!

People change O2s all the time - thounsands of them get changed on cars all over the world on a daily basis - why is it that I end up screwing it?!?

Anyone want to by an '89 six-speed coupe? Needs O2!
Old 09-18-2005, 01:42 PM
quiksilver458
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCorvetteKid
Anyone want to by an '89 six-speed coupe? Needs O2!
Just finished my car - have about 100 dollar left to my name.. I'll take it off your hands!

Sorry to hear about the mishap.. Accidents happen.. Can you get a tap or something to re-thread it?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:56 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

What ya asking for it? Seriously, we learn from our mistakes things could be a lot worse. Chin-up.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:58 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've managed to cross-thread a thing or two in my lifetime, particularly spark plugs, and I think I'd rather replace a Y pipe as opposed to a head. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure the O2 boss is the same as a plug, so pick up a plug thread chaser at Sears or an auto discounter and you might just be able to chase the threads so that you can reattach the O2. Also, for those who are having difficulty removing the O2, get the engine warmed up first. Makes removal a snap, though you might want to wear some insulated gloves.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:33 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Originally Posted by quiksilver458
Just finished my car - have about 100 dollar left to my name.. I'll take it off your hands!
How's this, you can have the thing for FREE!

Just cover the cost of all the parts I've put into it since I bought it, and it's yours. Of course, at last tally, it would be cheaper to get a brand new C6 Z06!

Still want it?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:41 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Originally Posted by steelblue shark
What ya asking for it? Seriously, we learn from our mistakes things could be a lot worse. Chin-up.
You're right, it could be worse. And I am really trying to calm down right now.

It's just that I've spent every spare second I've had this past summer working on this car just for the chance to maybe enjoy driving it around for a while before the snow flies. And it seems like for every step I take in what I think is the right direction, it ends up putting me back to a point worse than when I started.

Corvette ownership is not supposed to be like this! When I pictured myself owning this car, I saw myself driving it and enjoying it as well as maintaining and cleaning things up. Not having to replace THOUSANDS of dollars worth of parts (sometimes more than once) and spending countless hours under the hood and on my back, only to watch the car fail emissions, keeping me from driving it! And now, in an effort to get the car TO pass emissions, I've screwed it up so badly that it's disabled and sitting in the garage on jackstands (a sight I am now so used to, that on the rare occation that I do get to see the car sitting on it's tires, I have to do a double-take because I don't believe it).

Obviously, I'm still trying to calm down.

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 09-18-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:29 PM
53irishvette
Cruising

Default o2 replacement

Hey guys,

Just about to pull the old O2 sensor off my '89 L98 (stock exhaust) and replace it with a new AC Delco unit.

Before I start, are there any 'suprises' I should be aware of? Do I need to put a torch to the old sensor for easier removal, or will something like PB Blaster be a better idea? Should I invest in one of those O2 sensor removal tools, or will a standard wrench work fine? Should I be using high-temp anit-seaze compound on the new sensor (I don't think it has any on the threads)?

Any and all tips, hints, and advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.
be carefull not to touch the end of the senorI am told that the oils from your hand mess it up
Old 09-18-2005, 04:33 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

UPDATE: I've managed to get the old O2 back on the car. It torqued up to spec with no problem.

To be honest, I only wanted to change the O2 sensor because the car had failed emissions twice (high NOx). I have already replaced the EGR valve with a new unit, which I think is the REAL culprit for the failure, but I figured for the price of a new O2 it was worth the effort.

Ultimately, it looks like the threads on the new O2 are pretty baddly mangled, so I'm assuming that the ones in the exhaust bung are probably just as messed up. I guess my only options really are to either try and chase the threads with a tap and die (if I can find 'em that big) or to replace the front Y pipe with a new unit, along with a new O2 (again).

Oye my head hurts!

But I do want to thank everyone for the tips.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:01 PM
quiksilver458
Melting Slicks

How's this, you can have the thing for FREE!

Just cover the cost of all the parts I've put into it since I bought it, and it's yours. Of course, at last tally, it would be cheaper to get a brand new C6 Z06!

Still want it?

Lol... Thats where I stand with my car now.. Put a lot of money into it, and its still needs some more... Never ending.. but i love it!

Get notified of new replies

To O2 sensor removal procedure (L98)

Quick Reply: O2 sensor removal procedure (L98)