C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Whats the Max TQ a 700R4 can handle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Whats the Max TQ a 700R4 can handle?

as the title says:Whats the Max TQ a 700R4 can handle?

now that i've got some numbers to work with i'm wondering how much more I can add before the life span of my tranny comes into quesiton..
Old 09-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Your question is tough to answer. If it takes 100 lbs to break a toothpick, it would break every time at 100 lbs. The mechanical pieces have a breaking point. It is different with every trans. Some 6 cly blazers break the reaction shell with 160 hp. I have never broken one(yet). Any time you add more power thru the trans without increasing the surface area of the clutches, you will lose longevity. The long and short is ,it will break when it damn well pleases. I have put 450 hp and 597 ft lbs (rear wheel) thru my 700 r4 without breaking it. I am the exception rather than the rule.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Matt383
Drifting

Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challenge; 2006/2007 Winner MSD True Street
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete K
Your question is tough to answer. If it takes 100 lbs to break a toothpick, it would break every time at 100 lbs. The mechanical pieces have a breaking point. It is different with every trans. Some 6 cly blazers break the reaction shell with 160 hp. I have never broken one(yet). Any time you add more power thru the trans without increasing the surface area of the clutches, you will lose longevity. The long and short is ,it will break when it damn well pleases. I have put 450 hp and 597 ft lbs (rear wheel) thru my 700 r4 without breaking it. I am the exception rather than the rule.

I have blown up seven (7) 700R rebuilds.
These were done a nationally known Trans guy/co. with famous initials and advertises in National Dragster etc. (that's all I got to say about that)
Anyway, I 've seen 700's hold a lot as in above, and then I can't get one to last 3 months. Go figure.
This will open a can of worms here, just watch this thread, but you may want to go with a T-400 or 350.
700's just can't be built to handle a certain amout of torque(insert ft/lbs here)

My two cents.

By the way... I have a 400
Old 09-20-2005, 05:46 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

This question has no answer, as I've said many times there is no concrete limit to the amount of torque that the rear or the tranny will take until it breaks.

It may go with slight mods, it may handle 500lbft. It'll go whenever it damn well pleases.

But, should you install a tranny cooler, you would extend its lifetime considerably. If you do a performance rebuild, replace the hard and soft parts.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At one time, I saw a GM ad for rebuilt units that stated "350 ft lbs."

Made me think mine wouldn't last long.

Tom Piper
Old 09-20-2005, 06:50 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are set on keeping the T700 I recommend the upgraded inputshaft / drum and reinforced sunshell with torrington bearing upgrade.
See http://www.transmissioncenter.net/70...rque_Drive.htm

I am running 1.84 60fts, hard enough to destroy new poly bushes and pull the unis out of the halfshaft yokes ,not a squeak out of my trans.
Given the damage I am doing to my rear would have expected trans to have blown if not up to scratch.

Was fully rebuilt including the above upgrades , billet servo ,top quality linings,etc .
I believe one of the secrets of longativity is make the shifts as firm as possibleto reduce slippage / heat.
My Art Carr kit is very firm,part throttle,but awresome full throttle using the stock boost valve.The .500 boost valve would have been too much.

Last edited by rodj; 09-20-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Alvin
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

I hate 700r4's.

I went threw so many rebuilds with mine. Probally 5 I finally got a Certa (GM remain) with 50k warrenty and had no problems with it running 12.50's every week. All I did to it for this was a transgo and a vig 2800

It wasn't until I put nitrous on the car and then later a blower that I saw problems. The car felt like someone slamming on the brakes at about 4500 rpm. Turns out it was centrifically locking the next clutch pack or some crap like that.

I pulled it out for a 6 speed and have just come to terms with me not racing serously with it anymore. I'll go out and run a few 7's at the local 1/8th mile track at 94mph but thats about it.. no more bracket racing or anything else.. i'll just have fun actually driving the car instead of waiting for the next 700r4
Old 09-20-2005, 07:15 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 92 ran 12.4x's on street tires and the 3rd gear clutch pack toasted. I rarely drag race at the strip, but I'm not easy on the car. The tranny gave up only a couple thousand miles after the new hp came. I rebuilt mine with quite a few goodies that increase clutch area and shift firmness, as well as a big ole tranny cooler. She'll spill your coffee in the morning now.
Good luck!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:23 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just drive hard for now, when the rebuild time comes dont forget to add Torque drive and 5 planetary gears package.

Dont buy it from long distance that being said iam gonna start a new thread to give update on my second tranny from mad dog not good at all. It works good about 2000 miles than give up on me he rebuild another one but 3rd and 4th shifts too early and not really firm.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Matt383
Drifting

Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challenge; 2006/2007 Winner MSD True Street

After the seventh 700 rebuild, my trans guy told me that once you start running high 11's and faster, the 700's just won't hold up.
(NOW he tells me) so any way, that's when I went to the 400.
So like an idiot, I buy the 400 from him too!
That was a POS but not typical of a 400.
I then had that 400 rebuilt by a local hi perf, very honest, trans guy and the thing is rock solid!

My 2 cents plus rant.

(not all trans and trans builders are equal..even if they are a famous shop.)

Matt383
Old 09-21-2005, 08:27 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If built right they can hold up to a LOT of punishment.

I ran a pro-built for 3 year and logged well over 500 passes at anywhere from 13s to low 11 on it. Most at the low 11s. It then was put behind my 434 and run there for a season and it ran mid 10s to 10.3s for a entire season with zero problems.

Corky ran a stock unit with a freshen up this year for countless years and this was the first year he had a problem, which is understandable..things will wear out.

There are others like Corvette0096, 85vet, ralph, insanity, and MANY others that run them at low 11, high 10s with no real reported issues.

I think its all in the way they are put together and how well they are taken care of and kept in tune. Why I say in tune is you can toast one pretty quick with a mis-adjustment of the TV cable. Mine broke on my stock unit at the track and I did not know it and it ruined it after 3 runs. It was my first drag racing casualty.

Good luck if you decide to get another R4, I would highly recommend a pro-built.net or rosslertrans.com unit. They are some of the best trannies in the racing world.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 PM
VB Black Ice
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed you're in Florida... If you want to keep your 700R4, I know a reputable transmission guy in the Tarpon Springs area (C5 owner) who knows what he's talking about and works cheap. I got mine rebuilt by him. Look for Mad Dog Transmissions on Ebay, Mad Dog Lou is the guy.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:28 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Like Ski said.
It's all in how well it's done.

What worries me is "I have been through 5+ rebuilds"
but what are you getting for your money?
A rebuild could be a simple as new clutches.

I spent up big knowing what was end use was going to be with a trans guy who has build race trans for 20 years.I was set on a T400 but he talked me into a T700 because he assured me he could build one to last behind a 450+Hp 383.
I let him build the trans to his specs , he steered me away from some "hi-po" parts as not required and added the parts that experience had shown him worked.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:39 PM
ZD1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt383

I have blown up seven (7) 700R rebuilds.
These were done a nationally known Trans guy/co. with famous initials and advertises in National Dragster etc. (that's all I got to say about that)
Anyway, I 've seen 700's hold a lot as in above, and then I can't get one to last 3 months. Go figure.
This will open a can of worms here, just watch this thread, but you may want to go with a T-400 or 350.
700's just can't be built to handle a certain amout of torque(insert ft/lbs here)

My two cents.

By the way... I have a 400

The can is open

3 Trannies...$4500 bucks....just said bupck-it and got a new tranny (zf6), but could have been a 700r4
Old 09-22-2005, 02:05 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VB Black Ice
I noticed you're in Florida... If you want to keep your 700R4, I know a reputable transmission guy in the Tarpon Springs area (C5 owner) who knows what he's talking about and works cheap. I got mine rebuilt by him. Look for Mad Dog Transmissions on Ebay, Mad Dog Lou is the guy.
Lou is no more taking care of business may be he is just visiting or taking care of a handful of tranny's.
I myself went over there and some unexperienced tech working over there, they rebuilt my second tranny right infront of me but i was so disappointed by thier tech people and the car is still not right, tranny fluid leaks all the time sometimes from side sometimes from front sometimes from rear right my mechanic fixed all that and now i had a fluid leaking from governor cover it doesnot have clip and is junk too much coorosion on it and shifts r not firm only 1st strong than 2 3 4 r shift too early and not really torque feel.

Anyway its written on their products clearly if he (lou) not there his cousin jhonny will take care of u.

Bottom Line: May be lou is a wonderful guy but he is hardly there. Sorry for long one disapponted customer of them.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:58 AM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

The 700r4 is on the same level as the Dana44 when it comes to torque. It may last a long time or it may die quickly - ( 4 times this season). With something different each time causing the downtime. My car has been on blocks more than on the road this past year.

Due to being on the 4th rebuild/repair this season, I took a spare 700r4 to Rossler Transmission to see if they can really build a bulletproof tranny.

I will pick it up next year to take advantage of the 1 year or 12000 mile warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the Max TQ a 700R4 can handle?

Quick Reply: Whats the Max TQ a 700R4 can handle?