C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Paging all Street Twin users

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Paging all Street Twin users

For anybody who's running the Mcleod Street Twin clutch, what kind if any installation issues did you encounter?

Are you running the aluminum or steel flywheel?

Overall, how do you like it?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:03 PM
ENJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currenty in the process of replacing mine (discs only) after 6 years of abuse. Only worn the disc's. Floater plate can be re-used (plate between disc's) and purchase a new Valeo pressure plate from AutoZone (Much Cheaper), since it's the same brand.
Only problems during installation is placing the shims (washers) that come with the unit. I had the shims in the wrong place and the tranny would be engaged all the time. Had to pull tranny again and adjust placement of the shims.
Other problems:
Stopped drag racing because with that clutch, I've had to replace almost everthing behind the motor. This clutch does not slip. I've broken the rear(Ring gears, pinion gears), both yokes (5 times on each), tore the tranny apart & had to replace it. I'm re-installing another one and will keep street tires(non-sticky) on the rear and just replace tires when needed instead of drivetrain. I like the fact that if I drive this on the street it will last forever.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend of mine set one up on his '95 Z-28 a long time ago. He ended up having to get an adjustable master cylinder in order to get it right, but after that it seemed fairly driveable.

Unfortunately the rest of the car didn't live long enough for me to ever drive it.

What about the flywheel? Is it balanced from them in order to bolt on or do you need to balance it to your old one somehow?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons

What about the flywheel? Is it balanced from them in order to bolt on or do you need to balance it to your old one somehow?
It should be good to go. Of course if you ever redo your engine you'll want to have everything balanced together.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:31 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greatest clutch ever made for high power street vehicles. Used them for YEARS! My only advice is to CLOSELY FOLLOW MCLEOD'S INSTRUCTIONS! Failure to do so will cause the clutch to malfunction and McLeod to not warranty it. Otherwise great clutch!
-Jeb
Old 09-27-2005, 06:49 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

The only problem I has was with the bolts from Mcleod. They are ****. One of their grade 8 bolts broke with less then 25 ft lbs of force. Check the bolts.

Also, there is alot of noise with my setup.

I ran the car and tried to capture the sound with my digital camera but you can't hear the noise from the clutch over the exhuast in the clip.

Get notified of new replies

To Paging all Street Twin users

Quick Reply: Paging all Street Twin users