C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ALDL Won't Connect

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 02:18 PM
nrml
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALDL Won't Connect

Having some problems connecting to my ALDL. I have a cable, I connect it, the serial port works. However, it can never resolve a data stream.

It's a 1990 Corvette with a blowerworks PROM.

I've tried, Freescan, Datamaster, WIN??, EFILive, Moates..

Some of them actually show a stream of data, but say they never see the ECM header, can't connect to the ECM, or some such error code.

Take datamaster for example, it will report a good connection, and then I hit Single or Record and it will timeout saying it can't connect to the ECM.

EFILive simply states it can't establish a connection.

The WIN?? application shows a stream of data when connected, but never formally connects to fill out the tables when the car is running.

Datamaster had a troubleshooting note on similar symptoms and reported that sometimes its a sync issue, however, I followed their directions and could never establish a working link.

Any ideas? If it were a bad cable, I would think I wouldn't see any data coming inbound, and that datamaster wouldn't report that it found a good connection. Bad PROM? Bad ALDL connection?

BTW, this is 8192 baud, without a resistor as this is a MAP car.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Morley
Drifting

Which cable do you have? What brand/speed of laptop? And try Craig Moates' ECM 851 program...not 852. If he hasen't put 851 back up on his site let me know and I'll E mail it to you.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:28 AM
nrml
Advanced

Originally Posted by Morley
Which cable do you have? What brand/speed of laptop? And try Craig Moates' ECM 851 program...not 852. If he hasen't put 851 back up on his site let me know and I'll E mail it to you.
Mastech cable, P2-400 Dell. I use the serial port to connect to other devices routinely. (including a VW OBD2 port)

Maybe its the PROM itself...?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Morley
Drifting

Doubtful that it is the PROM. Unfortunately ALDL cables and scanning software aren't plug and play. You may need to play with some BIOS settings and com port settings to get it to work.
Never heard of your cable mfg before and don't see any of their cables on the net. Have you tried making the simple 2 transistor cable from Craig's site?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:55 PM
nrml
Advanced

Originally Posted by Morley
Doubtful that it is the PROM. Unfortunately ALDL cables and scanning software aren't plug and play. You may need to play with some BIOS settings and com port settings to get it to work.
Never heard of your cable mfg before and don't see any of their cables on the net. Have you tried making the simple 2 transistor cable from Craig's site?
Cable manufacturer: http://www.mastach.com/

Have a recommendation for a different cable, maybe I'll buy an AKM cable?

Basically, I just bought the car. It came with the Mastach cable + modified PROM. The owner said that he use to be able to run diagnostic software on the old PROM fine, but ever since the new PROM he hasn't been able to get the cable to connect. The new PROM is a blowerworks PROM, the owner felt confident in the tune and didn't have a need to troubleshoot the cable not connecting.

However, now I'm in california and we only have 91. I can hear knock, running higher octane fuel gets rid of the ping. So, I really need to figure this out.

I don't really have any bios settings for serial ports. The com settings are pretty standard 8/N/1 9600
Old 10-08-2005, 08:42 AM
GrEeNdAyZ
Advanced

Is there anyone with a solution to nrml's trouble with Datamaster...I have exactly the same symptoms.

Sent an e-mail to TTS but have not had a responce.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:13 AM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have either of you guys emailed greg@blowerworks.net? He might be able to lend some insight, seeing as it's HIS prom that you guys are dealing with.

Just a thought.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:12 PM
nrml
Advanced

I tried e-mailing him and he simply stated he's never had a problem as I've described.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:51 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

having the exact same issue on a 93 - any resolution?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by nrml
Mastech cable, P2-400 Dell. I use the serial port to connect to other devices routinely. (including a VW OBD2 port)

Maybe its the PROM itself...?

I have 3 chips. Datamaster will read 2 but not the Hypertech. Might be a good idea to see what chip you have there.

Get notified of new replies

To ALDL Won't Connect

Quick Reply: ALDL Won't Connect