C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need pig tail for coolant temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:36 AM
drewber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need pig tail for coolant temp sensor

the 20 year old brittle plastic shattered completely. I need a pig tail so i can hook up the sensor. I have tried all of the local parts stores they only have the 2 wire pigtails. I was unable to find a replacement pigtail at the boneyard also.

Any ideal where to go for pigtails? for a 84 vette?

thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 11:44 AM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried the dealer? I got the same pigtail from GM last year; they even had it in stock. About $20, IIRC, but you don't have to worry about it breaking again like a used one might.
[RICHR]
Old 10-10-2005, 12:03 PM
waynesTPI
Advanced

Default Pretty sure

my replacement pig tail came from a company called "Standard motor products, inc." If it's like the connector style of the knock sensor it's a S-550 part number, replacement for GM12051234 and 12102621
Old 10-10-2005, 12:15 PM
azzkikr
Pro

Are you sure it's the coolant temp sensor? Are you talking about the sensor that plugs into the radiator? I'm not sure - but I think that is just a coolant LEVEL sensor. I just installed my new RON DAVIS RACING RADIATOR, and of course the "ears" broke off mine too. Temporarily, I just "plastic tied" the sensor to the radiator until my new one arrives. I ordered a new one from Art's Corvette Parts ( 954) 763-1123. You could also visit their "photo web site" to make sure it's the right part.
www.artscorvetteparts.com
The dealerships kept giving wrong part numbers etc.... call Mike at Art's
Old 10-10-2005, 12:16 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I have several extras for my 94. If one will work on your 84, you can have it.

If interested, PM me your address.
-Mike
Old 10-10-2005, 12:46 PM
drewber
Instructor

I will just run to the dealer and see if i can one. I need to get the car smog tested, and with out the sensor running its running closed looped and wigging things out a bit. ( I bypassed the fan relay, so the fan has a switch I use to turn it on.)

thanks for the help again guys
Old 10-10-2005, 12:50 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I just bought one with a sensor at the Checkers auto parts, which is Kragens etc. Go to Partsamerica.com , print the price sheet which they honor, and the price was 9 bucks, vice 25 at the store. Just a little help on saving some money
Old 10-10-2005, 12:59 PM
drewber
Instructor

I just bought one with a sensor at the Checkers auto parts, which is Kragens etc.

they are advanced auto here... they are one of the ones I checked, but they didnt have any thing. I guess Ill check the website and p/n.

Have a link to the page?

Go to Partsamerica.com , print the price sheet which they honor, and the price was 9 bucks, vice 25 at the store. Just a little help on saving some money
Old 10-10-2005, 01:02 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by drewber
I just bought one with a sensor at the Checkers auto parts, which is Kragens etc.

they are advanced auto here... they are one of the ones I checked, but they didnt have any thing. I guess Ill check the website and p/n.

Have a link to the page?

Go to Partsamerica.com , print the price sheet which they honor, and the price was 9 bucks, vice 25 at the store. Just a little help on saving some money
www.partsamerica.com then find your car etc.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...erature+Sensor
After looking at the parts, there the same as my 93 .
Old 10-10-2005, 01:33 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Make sure you're talking about the same sensor... there are at least three temp sensors on my 86; the only three-wire one I know is under the throttle body on the manifold. There's a two-wire one that can be in the driver's-side head for the aux fan and another on the pass. head (for my year, that feeds the dash display; for earlier years it feeds the ECU), and yet another on the manifold for the cold-start injector... AFAIK, the LT1 engine only has one sensor whose output is split between the different functions that need the temp.
[RICHR]
Old 10-10-2005, 02:06 PM
drewber
Instructor

Correct, my car does have 3 sensors. There is one on each side of the engine, and one on the top by the thermostat housing. The one i need is on the passenger side of the car, it is a single wire connector. It is near the rear of the engine compartment on the side of the block.

I beleive this is the pigtail i need on this page. I would like to verify this before i order it though.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...0Cooling%20Fan
its an 84 vette.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
waynesTPI
Advanced

Originally Posted by drewber
Correct, my car does have 3 sensors. There is one on each side of the engine, and one on the top by the thermostat housing. The one i need is on the passenger side of the car, it is a single wire connector. It is near the rear of the engine compartment on the side of the block.

I beleive this is the pigtail i need on this page. I would like to verify this before i order it though.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...0Cooling%20Fan
its an 84 vette.
On my engine, 89, the one wire sensor on the passenger side of the block is the knock sensor??
Old 10-10-2005, 04:39 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The knock sensor is underneath, on the block itself. On his car, the pass. head has the temp sensor that runs the fan. On your 89, and my 86, that same sensor only affects the dash temp display.

Drewber, I was actually talking about the sensor by the thermostat housing... and on the later C4's the fan temp sensor on the driver's side is different than the sensor on the pass. side... so I can't comment on whether the part you picked is correct. Sorry...
[RICHR]
Old 10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Look like this?

1984-90 Fan Temperature Repair Wiring Harness
Part# 29177
$8.00

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...d=1144&pf%5Fid
=29177&mscssid=V11NMH8E08S28NCU408GX4XLD UNH72A5

Get notified of new replies