C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

clearcoat peeling on targa top

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:42 PM
black96lt4
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearcoat peeling on targa top

Some of the clearcoat has flaked off of my "glass" targa top. I also have clearcoat cracks visible from inside the car. Has anyone with this same problem tried wet sanding all of the clearcoat off. If so, any tips? Where can I get the sandpaper? What is the specification for the sandpaper? Do I have to use a power sander or is it best to sand by hand? Any advice would be helpful.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I dont have the exact answers to each of your questions but YES the top can be wet sanded and people on the forum have done it.So Im sure someone will chime in soon.Clear coat peeling is a common problem on many C4 roofs.Also,if I was you,I would seriously ask an autobody shop for a quote to do the job.It cant be that much money.If it is,forget them and do it yourself.Id rather a pro do it than me,if the price is right.Also,Wait for the guys on here to post.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Rich96c4ce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not really clearcoat like that used on your body paint. It is a specially applied heat cured ultraviolet (UV) filter coating intended to protect the polycarbonate (PC) plastic used for the targa top. PC is particularly vulnerable to cracking, crazing and hazing from the UV in sunlight. The C4 top was the first use of PC in a top. Others were apparently acrylic plastic, according to GE resins engineers and product designers. Putting regular clearcoat paint will not keep your top from further damage unless you can be assured of getting a coating that is a high performance UV blocking material, and can be assured that it is applied and cured correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To clearcoat peeling on targa top

Quick Reply: clearcoat peeling on targa top