C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Maddog rebuilt tranny 700r4 not going in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 04:54 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maddog rebuilt tranny 700r4 not going in first gear

This is rebuilt (Maddog) Hi-Perf 700r4 auto not starting in first gear but instead starting from 2nd, talked to them than they sent me governor recaliberation kit, i changed diff springs nad weight but still starting from 2nd. I called them again and again but with no right answer, Maddog lou is hardly there and his employees looks dump.

What went wrong any suggestion ? And also there is no firm feel in all gears either. Shall i install transgo kit i bought it long time ago.

Thanks for help.

Last edited by sami85L98; 10-18-2005 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You should never have to reprogram a governor for any reason other than to change shift points. Your problem can be almost anything. I recommend taking it to a local pro in hopes of solving it before it eats itself up. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:38 AM
88 Coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is good info......his ad on Ebay looks quite inviting. I almost bought a transmission from him also, but changed my mind at the last minute and had mine rebuilt locally. I was afraid that if I had issues I would get stuck paying aagin for repairs.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:59 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Is the linkage/cable adjusted properly?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

It's a problem in the valve body. Rebuild that and it should work fine. The main guts are ok; the builder just messed up the valve body kit that they put into it. I did that once, for point of fact.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

You can swap out you old valve body and governor and it should be OK.They usually do not get damaged.Or you can have them send you a new tranny.Mabey they can send you one of the 2 I sent back to them......
Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Deakins
It's a problem in the valve body. Rebuild that and it should work fine. The main guts are ok; the builder just messed up the valve body kit that they put into it. I did that once, for point of fact.
Good point Deakins: I showed to one trans mechanic today locally after he test drove it told me the same thing its a VALVE BODY thats the culprit he is 500% sure the problem with valve body.

Maddog rebuilted on some other core (88 700r4) not mine, he said mine is 85 corvette that is no good to rebuilt.

Also i installed GM TV cable with no good result either so, its valve body, any suggestion which valve body to use type 1 or type 2 or aux and where to get it ?. maddog not answering my call either now not a good service after sales. Lou (main owner) he is nice but hardly be there and his cousin johnny (john) dont know much about it.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:26 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Update: somehow i contacted Lou and he promised me to send another valve body and new governor and infact he will take care of the bill if i do it locally or else he insisted me to come over his place and he will take care of it.

gosh thats a long drive to tarpon sp, FL 8 hrs one way.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Gotta give him credit. Sounds like he is making a fine attempt at fixing the unit.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Great, it's good to hear that you finally got some service out of them.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:09 PM
jk iron man
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****** company

My experience is this is by far one of the worst companies to buy from. I bought a transmission from them 10/08/15 and I currently have no transmission or the $1,440. To start I received the transmission on 11/8/15 almost a month late. I install the transmission only to have it last not even ten miles on the test drive. The transmission reverted to neutral and would not shift to any other gear. I call the company they instantly assume the transmission was installed wrong (apparently its rocket science to install a transmission even with a transmission jack/proper tools). I send the transmission back on 1/11/16 on my dime ($200) and ask them to get an other one coming for my now royally pissed off customer (which they agree to do but failed to uphold that agreement). I get a call from them telling me nothing was wrong. I ask about the new one they shipped and was told one had not been shipped yet. Now its about 4 months and I had to go buy a transmission from a different company to save the relationship with the customer. I ask for my money back since I no longer need their product. I was then told I voided the warranty, because had to put an after market adapter plate on the transmission so it would bolt to the vehicles engine and transfer case. I ended up ordering a Jasper transmission and everything is great the vehicle now has 5k miles. I put the same adapter plate on the jasper transmission as the mad dog transmission had and on the test drive everything worked perfect. I have been not only insulted but hung up on along with being bounced around and then had the call "dropped". This company is very good at making you feel less of a human being. It's sad when you can't even have a conversation with the guy you paid $1,4400 to because he was never taught how to treat others with respect.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:05 PM
nickpe
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default replace it

Originally Posted by sami85L98
This is rebuilt (Maddog) Hi-Perf 700r4 auto not starting in first gear but instead starting from 2nd, talked to them than they sent me governor recaliberation kit, i changed diff springs nad weight but still starting from 2nd. I called them again and again but with no right answer, Maddog lou is hardly there and his employees looks dump.

What went wrong any suggestion ? And also there is no firm feel in all gears either. Shall i install transgo kit i bought it long time ago.

Thanks for help.

they are crooks i just was burned too
i took the loss and got another trans
performatrans
Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Dynamic Transmission in Blandford Conn. is one of the best, if not the best trans shop on the east coast, ask any drag racer.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:27 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want a GREAT trans and a GREAT experience call Guy at HI=Tech Transmission in Marietta, Ga. When my 4l60e died I felt like a lost child in the woods full of bears. I was even considering Mad Dog until I googled him. 'I'm now manually shifting all I want with imperceptible auto changes unless i stab it. Call him.

Get notified of new replies

To Maddog rebuilt tranny 700r4 not going in first gear

Quick Reply: Maddog rebuilt tranny 700r4 not going in first gear