C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Comp Cams Pro Magnum Rock Arms on L98, Self-align?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Flyingboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp Cams Pro Magnum Rock Arms on L98, Self-align?

I'm going to get the Comp Cams Pro Magnum 1.6 rockers for my 86 L98. Do I need self aligning rockers? Mine already has guide plates. With the design of these rockers, will I need to modify the valve covers?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:50 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The stock rockers are self aligning and the guide plates are NOT hardened (on #113 heads).

Since I wanted 7/16" rocker studs (stock are 3/8") I had to go with non self aligning ProMags (self aligning are available for 3/8" studs). This meant installing hardened guide plates & push rods. But the total $$ cost is about the same and I needed to remove the stock guide plates in either case (don't want push rods with self aligning RRs to touch the guide plates).

You will need to cut a little off the drip tabs and narrow the bolt towers a little to get the stock valve covers to clear the 1.6:1 Pro Mags.

For this application the Comp Cams 981 springs and their variety shim pack should be used.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:21 PM
korvette4u
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
The stock rockers are self aligning and the guide plates are NOT hardened (on #113 heads).

Since I wanted 7/16" rocker studs (stock are 3/8") I had to go with non self aligning ProMags (self aligning are available for 3/8" studs). This meant installing hardened guide plates & push rods. But the total $$ cost is about the same and I needed to remove the stock guide plates in either case (don't want push rods with self aligning RRs to touch the guide plates).

You will need to cut a little off the drip tabs and narrow the bolt towers a little to get the stock valve covers to clear the 1.6:1 Pro Mags.

For this application the Comp Cams 981 springs and their variety shim pack should be used.
YOU KNOW your RIGHT, DID do the very same thing, thanks again. but decided to sell MODIFIED stock valve covers. (see for sale section)

Get notified of new replies

To Comp Cams Pro Magnum Rock Arms on L98, Self-align?

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Rock Arms on L98, Self-align?