C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter/Battery Problem 87

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
tsiawd1028
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter/Battery Problem 87

Hi guys I, just purchased an 87 z51, Bought the car non running, but i got an excellent deal on it. Car needed a starter, just picked on one up and installed it earlier, today, When installing the starter, There were two ring terminals on the starter, one big ,one small, The cars wireing had three wires, 1 small black ring, 1 large black ring, 1 Large red ring. I bolt the single small wire to the small terminal, and i bolted both of the wires with larger rings, to the larger terminal. This is the only way , they can go i assume, so this is correct?

Car cranked and started up right away, in a few seconds, it did stall but thats a different issue... I Noticed as i was trying to restart the motor , the ground terminal on the battery was getting very hot, and this new battery did not have enough juice to spin the motor, after trying to charge the battery, it started to leak battery acid !

The battery could be defective, but it was used for the past 2 weeks in another car and had no problems, I could have put the starter wires in wrong? If there were in wrong, or i shorted them, would the started still work then/?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:49 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The electrical diagnosis book shows the purple wire to the start solenoid and the large wire from the battery positive terminal going to the starter. I do not know where the third wire goes, it may go to ground, but if it did and you connected it to the positive wire, you would have had fireworks, so you probably connected it correctly. Always pay attention to where these wires came off when you remove a part. The battery should never leak acid unless the battery was being charged with WAY excessive current which will make acid foam out of the caps. Your battery should not be charged at a rate higher than 10 amps to start and battery chargers taper off the current as the battery becomes charged.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:14 AM
tsiawd1028
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your reply, i had the wiring correct, i bought the car with no starter so i had never saw how the wires went. It seems my battery terminal connnectors, altough they looked fine, didnt provide a good connection, i cleaned them up as much as i could, and a fresh battery later, Everything seems good for now. *****: thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:14 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Sounds like a short to me.I know what jfb is saying but mabey one of those wires will only make the circuit with the key on.Or you may have a short somewhere else but I do not think putting a red(+12V) with a Black(ground usually) makes sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter/Battery Problem 87

Quick Reply: Starter/Battery Problem 87