C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New ECM installed on 1989

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:06 PM
CDLING
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ECM installed on 1989

Thanks to forum I found the location of my ECM. Removal was easy. When I installed the prom into the new ECM a warning read "installer must check all relays and solenoids before starting engine or warranty will be voided".
Does anyone out their know where, what and how these solenoids and relays are that they are talking about. I was just going to jumper A and B on the ALDL and see if code 12 flashed before starting engine. Prior to ECM replacement I replaced the MAF sensor due to a code 34. Then I cleared the codes by disconnecting the battery. Then I pulled the ECM fuse before replacing the ECM. Now I am afraid to start the car for fear of ruining my $100.00 ECM. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:21 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

How would the manufacturer know if you didn't check? All the literature I've seen says a faulty solenoid or relay driven by the ECM should shut that driver circuit down (and anything else that's on it) and keep it shut off until the problem is fixed, but once fixed, the ECM should work normally. Supposedly, the quad drivers are fail safe devices. I do know that GM has countless Bulletins berating it's Dealerships for replacing perfectly good ECMs. You've cleared the code and probably followed some trouble tree chart leading you to the ECM (I presume the MAF relay checked out ok). Time to fire it up. If it doesn't work, I'd go through the troubleshooting procedure again.

Quick Reply: New ECM installed on 1989