C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil filter size/thoughts/opinions (and cooler Q)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 01:02 PM
96_LT4_FE1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter size/thoughts/opinions (and cooler Q)

I have an oil filter size question, more out of curiousity. I got 4 vehicles with SBC(small block chevy) v8's and I thought could fit the same filter on all of them...'till I got under the LT4 and there is this little tiny filter on it and a special adapter to the block for this small filter.

I like to run a larger filter just for the extra capacity, its probably completely unnecessary, but its the 'male' thing to do. And now, with my LT4, I suffer from "Oil Filter Envy".

Anyway, seriously, are there alot of different vette oil filter sizes for the C4 or just a couple? The only real clearance issue on my car is the cats are huge and in the way, and since all C4's at least -had- cats when new, I wonder if the size and placement has changed over the years. I have a friend with a 91 and he says the normal SBC filter fits on that.

My LT4 filter is( I hope the cross refences are correct):
Purolator (P)L24011
Fram PH3980
AC PF52
MotorcraftFL402
Wix 51036
Fleetguard LF3554

The size I typically run is:
Purolator (P)L34631 ( PER4000 equivalant? I cross referenced to AC delcos site for this)
Fram ?
AC PF1218
Motorcraft FL12FP
Wix 3
Fleetguard ?

The older size appears to be(and this references to many SBC cars):
Purolator (P)L20049
Fram PH30
AC PF25
Motorcraft FL10
Wix 51069
Fleetguard ?

After further research, it seems 1992 is the crossover year. I'm guessing a catalyst design change caused this.
I'm not real concerned or anything, but I just thought I'd fish for opinions. The larger converter will make it more challenging for me to add an oil cooler if I decide to, but I could just go remote filter at the same time and it shouldn't be too bad.

I know there are a million thoughts on oil filters, I like Purolators Pure One's because of the silicone antidrainback valve and their filtering reputation is pretty good too.

For track use, are oil coolers highly recommended? This is "hot lap" use, not "competition" use.

I would ask to see if anyone found a larger filter for the (apparrently) '92-'96 SBC vettes, but I don't think there is any more room, and it already hangs down to about the bottom of the oil pan.

thanx for any thoughts on this,
and I hope I'm not
»keith
Old 11-18-2005, 01:23 PM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 92 Camaro 5.0 Litre used PH30, My 93 Ruby LT1 uses PH3980
Old 11-18-2005, 01:41 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 11-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Davemc1963-87conv
Racer

Originally Posted by 96_LT4_FE1
I know there are a million thoughts on oil filters, I like Purolators Pure One's because of the silicone antidrainback valve and their filtering reputation is pretty good too.
»keith
I don't believe the antidrainback function on a SBC is worth much, due to the fact that the filter is upside down and can't physically drain back anyway. If anything, IMO, if it were to malfunction (not very likely, but possible) it could provide a restriction to oil flow. However most filters seem to incorporate them these days in one form or another.
I'm not sure of the benefits of the new 'smaller' AC oil filter is there one?
Dave
Old 11-18-2005, 05:59 PM
96_LT4_FE1
Racer

Originally Posted by Davemc1963-87conv
I don't believe the antidrainback function on a SBC is worth much, due to the fact that the filter is upside down and can't physically drain back anyway.
I see your point, the filter itself couldn't really empty, unless it was 'siphoned' from the momentum of oil draining back to the pan, but the reality is that there is probably only a small amount of oil that it is holding in the oil passages in the first place. I just prefer silicone to rubber cause oil tends to attack rubber over time.

If anything, IMO, if it were to malfunction (not very likely, but possible) it could provide a restriction to oil flow. However most filters seem to incorporate them these days in one form or another.
well, its basicially a captured flexable flap, it really can't "malfunction" unless the filter was assembled wrong, and it is visible when looking into the filter, so if it was all chewed up, you might notice that. the real problem would be if someone setup a remote filter but the lines were reversed. it would try to stop the oil flow. The prevous owner did that when setting up a remote filter for the tranny on my Toyota truck. I took the Fram off it at and the little rubber diaphram was all pushed out through the holes in the filter. It would have been a good "test" for my Pure One, but I didn't feel like trying it out.

It could be that I just like the Pure One cause of its dark blue metallic paint and chrome sticker.

I'm not sure of the benefits of the new 'smaller' AC oil filter is there one?
Dave
I'm pretty sure its only because of the catalytic converter, I have about 1/4" to the block and 1/4" to the converter, its pretty tight in there. (I didn't actually measure it, its probably more than 1/4" , but you get the idea ) My converters look like two 5 pound coffee cans under there
»keith
Old 11-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Hotred94
Pro

I use a Bosch 3430 on my 94. It is about one inch longer than the stock filter, same diameter. Any fatter and it wouldn't fit, any longer and it could smack something on the road.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:31 PM
96_LT4_FE1
Racer

Originally Posted by Hotred94
I use a Bosch 3430 on my 94. It is about one inch longer than the stock filter...
Cool, thanx. I cross referenced it to the purolator model and it went back to the one I have, so I'll have to run Bosch to get the larger capacity. I'll save the info in case I can find Bosch locally.

A buddy of mine who had a 305 cid pickup truck used to run "farm rated" oil and he also found these 99 cent "defense" oil filters that were near 10 inches long!(give or take). I think he thought his little truck was a semi or something. I never did try to look up a cross reference for that filter cause I owned cars which are too close to the ground for a big filter like that, but I did think about trying them out once.
»keith

Get notified of new replies

To Oil filter size/thoughts/opinions (and cooler Q)

Quick Reply: Oil filter size/thoughts/opinions (and cooler Q)