C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rebuild plans for winter, need expert input

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 AM
nxs055
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild plans for winter, need expert input

i have an 89 l98 and it needs to be rebuilt, its pushing 160000 miles and still going strong, but i'm starting to get nervous about it.
anyway, what i want is to basically rebuild the motor, i want to port and polish the heads and put a bigger cam in, and maybe some kind of piston upgrade, not any boring or stroking at this point
now, what i need from you guys is to tell me some specifics.
money is a big issue, the car just needs a basic rebuild but since i'm gonna be into it anyway, i'd like to get a little more outta it.

what kind of cam??? price???
pistons??? price???
anything else that isn't outrageously priced that i can do to it...

thank you all for your help
Cody
Old 11-21-2005, 11:31 AM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

What specifically makes you want to rebuild it?

160k miles on a small block isn't the end of the world if it's been maintained.

Who's doing the work? If you turn your own wrenches, you could get out for around $2k with new pistons and valvetrain. If a shop is doing all the work you don't want to know what it will cost.

When you're doing a rebuild and not adding much performance, you're almost always better off with buying a replacement shortblock.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:43 AM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember a year or so ago JEGS had a 350 shortblock they were selling with I THINK I remember some forged internals for like $1200. Unless you are doing all the block work (cleaning, freeze plugs, honing, painting, crank/rods/piston installation) it will be hard to beat that price IF they still offer it. If you are mechanically inclined you could easily swap all your stuff onto that shortblock. If you want a complete head job with porting your probably looking at another $800 +\- , before buying all new gaskets, cam, and you'll probably want a new timing chain. I am just finishing up a 383 and trust me the little things like gaskets and new sensors ect will eat up a chunk of money in a hurry so plan this out before you tear your old one down.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nxs055
not any boring or stroking at this point
It is not going to be possible to overhaul an engine with 160,000 miles on it with out boring the cylinders. Not even a 100% stock overhaul.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:53 AM
nxs055
Cruising

i want to rebuild it because, while it may be my own paranoia, it just feels "loose". does that make any sense... the motor feels different somehow, i've owned the car for almost 2 1/2 years and it just doesn't feel like it used to.
i dunno, maybe i'll just hold out till it finally does break and then just fix it as i can, i'm far from a wealthy man, i'm 22 years old, going to college, and working a dead end job. I shouldn't have bought the car to start with, but I could get the money to pay for it and now i'm obligated to continue paying for it.
i'm just at a loss, 160k seems like a lot of miles to me, and I want some more power out of it.

btw: I would be doing all the work myself, i certainly can't afford a mechanic and I don't trust em anyway
2. I found a "rebuild kit" at advance with all the gaskets, bearing, rings, etc, etc. and it was about $645 with cam....

i really just wanted to learn a little more about cams and what i need/want, so on, before i make any real plans at all
thanks guys
cody

ps. sorry it was so long, maybe i'm lonely...
Old 11-21-2005, 12:03 PM
nxs055
Cruising

i'm not trying to be obtuse, but why does it have to be bored???
Old 11-21-2005, 12:33 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

After 160K miles there is NO WAY your cylinders are still round. They will have to be honed true and an oversize piston fitted.

I would also be wary of a complete rebuild kit for $695.

Whe rebuilding for added performance you want to build strength, not compromise it with cheap parts.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Do you have all the tools, there is a lot more to rebuilding an engine than just parts.
You also need to have the block checked and heads redone, best advice find a local person who has done a rebuild and ask them questions on how to do a rebuild.

I, also agree with the others. Don't do it till your sure you need to.
Buy the parts over the course of the next year, much easier to budget for the parts you want, instead of the parts you have to take now because of your budget.

Just my .02
Old 11-21-2005, 12:42 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your cylinders are shaped like an egg now and you are going to put a round slug in them. That's why.

Get notified of new replies

To rebuild plans for winter, need expert input

Quick Reply: rebuild plans for winter, need expert input