C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Questions for you engine guys....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:10 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default L98 Questions for you engine guys....

Just curious because I'm looking at an L98 out of a 90 corvette to build. Is the corvette block a 2-bolt or 4-bolt? Are the pistons cast or hypereutectic?

Thanks in adavance!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

All the blocks are 2 bolt. Except for 1984 and '85, the pistons are hypereutectic (cast).

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:33 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hypereutectic !!! Why can't the mfgrs just say cast.

What stupid name do they have for forged? Supercalafraglistic!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:54 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Cast pistons, 2-bolt for corvettes
Old 11-29-2005, 10:05 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The term "Hypereutectic" means the piston is an aluminum alloy poston. Although hypereutectic pistons are cast, the casting process is not what the name is referring to. Hypereu pistons have a high silicone content to achieve the low expansion rate and closer cylinder wall tolerance of a common cast piston, with strength closer to a forged piston than a conventional cast piston. They are a better piston for a normally aspirated engine because you can run a tighter piston to wall clearance without the skirt slap issues of a forged piston. Ring life and seal is also improved with these tighter clearances. Hypereu's are also lighter and dissapate heat quicker than conventional forged pistons.

Unless you are considering boosting your engine the hypereu's are your best choice.

Brian
VTvette
Old 11-29-2005, 10:10 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The 84-85 were forged.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
The 84-85 were forged.
wow - that's news to me - forged bottom end on a motor with cast heads? (not being scarcastic - just hadn't ever heard this!)
Old 11-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Togo
wow - that's news to me - forged bottom end on a motor with cast heads? (not being scarcastic - just hadn't ever heard this!)
just the pistons were forged
Old 11-29-2005, 11:47 PM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by VtVette
The term "Hypereutectic" means the piston is an aluminum alloy poston. Although hypereutectic pistons are cast, the casting process is not what the name is referring to. Hypereu pistons have a high silicone content to achieve the low expansion rate and closer cylinder wall tolerance of a common cast piston, with strength closer to a forged piston than a conventional cast piston. They are a better piston for a normally aspirated engine because you can run a tighter piston to wall clearance without the skirt slap issues of a forged piston. Ring life and seal is also improved with these tighter clearances. Hypereu's are also lighter and dissapate heat quicker than conventional forged pistons.

Unless you are considering boosting your engine the hypereu's are your best choice.

Brian
VTvette
This is an opinion. Many buidlers I know, including the individual who built my engine will not touch them in a high powered N/A motor.

Last edited by 85vet; 11-29-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:00 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The pistons were TRW's ,I wish they would have continued that in all vetts.
The Syclica in the hyper pistons I think is eather 4 or 6 more that forged I forget now.
Strong but don't bet your life on it,even the strongest break.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:34 AM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a set of '85 forged pistons you can have if you want them just pay shipping. PM me if you're interested. I swapped them out a while ago. The problem you're going to have is finding a used 350 block with any kind of mileage that is true enough not to need an overbore.

We've destroyed more than our share of JE forged pistons that run $400/piece. We've also had some real strong engines that were running stock cast pistons. It all depends on what you are doing. Few street cars, even with built engines are running enough power normally aspirated to warrant forged pistons. Be serious about what you are building and what you are doing with it. If you don't need the strength of a forged piston hypereu's can offer some excellent benefits mainly in terms of weight savings and thermal efficiency.

85vet is right there are some N/A engines that warrant forged pistons. I should have asked what your intended purpose is before making the statment "Unless you are considering boosting your engine the hypereu's are your best choice."

If you are going to be building an N/A engine that truly requires forged pistons few of the internals are going to be stock much less the pistons.

Brian
VTvette
Old 11-30-2005, 09:19 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VtVette
I have a set of '85 forged pistons you can have if you want them just pay shipping. PM me if you're interested. I swapped them out a while ago. The problem you're going to have is finding a used 350 block with any kind of mileage that is true enough not to need an overbore.

We've destroyed more than our share of JE forged pistons that run $400/piece. We've also had some real strong engines that were running stock cast pistons. It all depends on what you are doing. Few street cars, even with built engines are running enough power normally aspirated to warrant forged pistons. Be serious about what you are building and what you are doing with it. If you don't need the strength of a forged piston hypereu's can offer some excellent benefits mainly in terms of weight savings and thermal efficiency.

85vet is right there are some N/A engines that warrant forged pistons. I should have asked what your intended purpose is before making the statment "Unless you are considering boosting your engine the hypereu's are your best choice."

If you are going to be building an N/A engine that truly requires forged pistons few of the internals are going to be stock much less the pistons.

Brian
VTvette
Very true... plus I'll revise the statement of "be serious" to be realistic in your expectations. Another thing about forged pistons is the noise when the engine is cold. Most of us who run or have run forged pistons are used to a little piston slap until they warm up. It's not a problem, but if you don't know about it, you may think you do have problems. For the typical streeter, hypereutectics are the way to go.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:29 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

The 84-85 were forged.
Originally Posted by togo
That was the point of:QUOTE=CFI-EFI]Except for 1984 and '85, the pistons are hypereutectic (cast).[/QUOTE]

All aluminum pistons are an aluminum alloy. Eutectic is the situation where the aluminum contains and has absorbed all of the silicon that the aluminum is capable of absorbing. The alloy is 100% silicon saturated. Hypereutectic describes a state of "over-saturation". The excess silicon, that can't be absorbed, remains in suspension in the alloy. It appears as grey flecks of color in the alloy.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 02:52 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

The 84-85 were forged.
Originally Posted by togo
That was the point of:
Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Except for 1984 and '85, the pistons are hypereutectic (cast).
All aluminum pistons are an aluminum alloy. Eutectic is the situation where the aluminum alloy contains and has absorbed all of the silicon that the aluminum is capable of dissolving, into solution. The alloy is 100% silicon saturated. Hypereutectic describes a state of "over-saturation". Excess silicon is added which can't be dissolved into solution. The excess silicon remains in suspension, rather than dissolved, in the alloy. It appears as grey flecks of color in the alloy.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Questions for you engine guys....

Quick Reply: L98 Questions for you engine guys....