C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:43 PM
jmillerga
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure

Got a new 84, auto. Oil pressure always reads 80 and oil temp is always low. Would this be a instrument problem or sending unit problem. Is there a chart to show ohms in relation to pressure. Also the tach works intermittently, where to start on troubleshooting.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:52 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Start with the factory service manual, available, HERE. It will contain volt and Ohm readings for the sending units. You may have bad sending units or they may be simply disconnected or the wiring defective. Trouble shoot for the problem before buying parts you MAY not need.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 PM
jmillerga
Intermediate

I looked in the manual, the figures given are for the tester that makes the cluster display. By the way that looks like a handy tester, are they available.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:49 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Gordon Killebrew has some diagnostic tools available for the digi-dash.

As for the sensor problems - I would check the wiring harnesses very closely on these older vettes. The wire itself is prone to heat related failure. Add some chemical spills and problems arise........ The insulation will crack, chaffe and shrink around connectors. it is not pretty. These failures will lead to shorts and groundings.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:04 AM
MBDiagMan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I fully expect that it is a wiring problem, but could also be in the digital dash itself.

The likelihood of both sensors being bad is very remote.

Good luck,
Old 12-06-2005, 10:58 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

What weight oil are you using. Change the oil.
Just my 2cents.
Good Luck.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:21 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by MBDiagMan
The likelihood of both sensors being bad is very remote.

Good luck,
The likelihood that only those two gauges failed and the rest of the digi-dash works, is much more remote.

Originally Posted by oldace84
What weight oil are you using. Change the oil.
Just my 2cents.
Good Luck.
In the same vein, you forgot to mention checking the tire pressure.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:24 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You don't need a tester - Pressure sender is fairly simple; rising in resistance as pressure increases. Disconnect the tan wire and ground it. Gage should read 0. If so, the wiring and cluster are good so replace the sender. If you want to check the accuracy of the display, pick up some resistors at Radio Shack. 90 ohms is 80 PSI; 45 ohms about half of that.

If grounding the lead doesn't get you 0, check the connection at the Bulkhead connector and from there to the Display - Pin A2 to C1 or check your Manual for the correct Pins. If the wiring is good, cluster is bad.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:51 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just saw you also have LO on the Temp readout and a sparodic Tach - Temp sender works the other way - resistance decreases with Temp, so if you remove the lead and jumper it to ground, that should give you something above 300 degrees.

Possiblility that with both (Temp and Pressure) being out, Function Select switch is funky, though that usually gives you a Blank Display. Do the simple stuff first and repost if you can't find it.

Tach is little more problematic, but assuming it uses a filter, I'd guess that it needs to be replaced, though you can check for an a/c voltage on the side going to the dash.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by SunCr
Tach is little more problematic, but assuming it uses a filter, I'd guess that it needs to be replaced, though you can check for an a/c voltage on the side going to the dash.
The 1984 does use a tach filter. However when a wire broke off of my tach filter, I connected the wire attached to the filter output, directly to the distributor cap connection, eliminating the filter from the circuit. The tach has never worked better.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Black84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong but I seem to recall that a constant 80 psi on oil pressure is an indication of an open ground.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure

Quick Reply: Oil pressure