C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 vs LT4 External Balance

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 12:45 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Default LT1 vs LT4 External Balance

Is the LT1 and LT4 balanced the same? IE would an LT1 flexplate work with a stock LT4? Same question for balancers.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:53 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
Is the LT1 and LT4 balanced the same? IE would an LT1 flexplate work with a stock LT4? Same question for balancers.
lt1's and lt4's use the same internally balanced balancer and externally balanced flywheel/flexplate ... a camaro balancer won't work with a vettes accessories and vice versa.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
torchred96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey dave ..I don't know the answer to your question..but, check with me around the beginning of February...because I ordered an lt4 for my a4 vette, and will be taking my flexplate, and swapping out the flywheel on the lt4 before I put it back in. You'll find a lot of ambiguity depending on the different boards. Try impalassforum.com and camaroz28.com. there seem to be more gearheads over on those forums. If you get a definitive answer, please do let me know.

prozac, is there actually an internal balancer or are you talking about the internals being balanced or are you referring to the harmonic balancer. I too am confused on this issue..despite all the help everyone has offered.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by torchred96
Hey dave ..I don't know the answer to your question..but, check with me around the beginning of February...because I ordered an lt4 for my a4 vette, and will be taking my flexplate, and swapping out the flywheel on the lt4 before I put it back in. You'll find a lot of ambiguity depending on the different boards. Try impalassforum.com and camaroz28.com. there seem to be more gearheads over on those forums. If you get a definitive answer, please do let me know.

prozac, is there actually an internal balancer or are you talking about the internals being balanced or are you referring to the harmonic balancer. I too am confused on this issue..despite all the help everyone has offered.
Good luck with that.Mabey the Impala and camaro guys can answer your questions then.

Since the LTX engines are balanced by the flexplate instead of the HB in the front swapping is not going to work unless you balance the new one(or old one in a new engine swap) with the one on the engine.The Corvette HB is unique and cannot be swapped with any other LTx balancer.The balancer is zero balanced.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:04 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

the harmonic balancer is internally balance... i blew my lt4 earlier this year and had to buy a new rotating assembly for it.. that and i built 2 other one piece rear main engines this year and i was interesting finding out what it all was. one peice rear main cranks are described on summit and other places as stock balancing. that will make you scratch your head..
Old 12-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

WTF are you talking about?The HB is Zero balanced period.It just spins the belt.The engine is internally balanced per se but the flexplate is weighted to accomplish that.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:41 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
WTF are you talking about?The HB is Zero balanced period.It just spins the belt.The engine is internally balanced per se but the flexplate is weighted to accomplish that.
Search engine fails again, as this has been discussed before.......I just tried to find some threads.....

On some LT1 and LT4 engines the factory used the harmonic damper to fine tune the balance.....

Someone on a post last year actually posted the internal GM memo describing the procedure that was used by the factory....

Harmonic damper should be nuetral balance......but not all are on LTX...real gem when you consider they are not even keyed to the shaft...

Last edited by LT4BUD; 12-19-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
So to answer you questions
1.Yes they are balanced the same internally with the flexplate.
2.Probably but why do you want to do it(putting auto tranny on it?)You would have to match balance it to the LT4 one at the least.
3.Balancers are the same and yes there are a few oddball engines out there that do have a balancer that has been tweaked to fine tune the engine.These are rare.Just because the balancer has what appears to be weights and holes drilled in it does not mean it is one of them.OEM balancers were all weighted or drilled to "zero" balance them.

Now onto the non keyed shaft.......

Even though the hub for the balancer is not keyed it IS oriented.With #1 at TDC the arrow on the balancer should be pointed at 12 o'clock.It is easier to make sure you mark it when you pull the hub than doing it though.......

Last edited by Redeasysport; 12-20-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:01 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

2.Probably but why do you want to do it(putting auto tranny on it?)You would have to match balance it to the LT4 one at the least.
Why would I want to? I was considering taking my LT4 and swapping it into the 95 after building the 95 engine into a 396 LT4 to go into my 96. Made sense to me.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

wouldn't zero balance and internally balanced be the same thing when talking about a hb? since neither has an effect on the balance of the crank?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:43 AM
torchred96
Pro

[QUOTE=Redeasysport]Good luck with that.Mabey the Impala and camaro guys can answer your questions then.

all i was trying to say is that the camaro and impala sites have a lot more information on the balancing of the lt1/4. There seem to be a lot more auto-stick conversions and this topic comes up much more there. Also, if you do a search on either site.. You will find tons of information related to balancing. Maybe the cf search engine just isn't very good or maybe it's like i said initially, that there are more gearheads on those sites.

But even on those sites, i can't get a definitive answer. so, i think, I am just going to get my flexplate and flywheel match balanced as someone on this site suggested to me.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Diesel68
Instructor

The LT1 and LT4 should be very close on factory balance.

OEM flywheels and flexplates are balanced to within a factory tolerance. They are not balanced individually to an engines rotating assembly. With the number of LT1 builts, if they had it would have taken too much time and would make maintenance a nightmare trying to match a flywheel's balance to a specific engine.

As what was said above, the harmonic balancer is also neutrally balanced and also interchangeable.

A board member by the name "No Go" has an LT4 and swapped in a LT1 camaro flywheel without doing any kind of match balancing. He said it ran fine. I swapped in a LT1 camaro flywheel with out match balancing and had great results. You will have no problems with the flexplate on an LT4.

If you go aftermarket though, all bets are off and it would probably be a good idea to look into match balancing.

Below you will find some links with definitive answers.

Info on OEM flywheel/flexplate balancing:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...lance+flywheel

More good info:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...lance+flywheel
Old 12-21-2005, 03:35 PM
torchred96
Pro

diesel68. thank you for that very specific and the new links. I don't know about mr dave from whom I seem to have hijacked the thread....but it makes me happy

redeasysport...I don't know what your comment to me was all about because sometimes, ones words gets misinterpreted over the internet...and in person but that's another story. but anyway, if you doubt the existence of good quality information on the forums I mentioned, take a close look at the two links above...especially the first one by Rskrouse. I believe he is their "drivetrain moderator". All i have to say, is thank god for forums like the corvetteforum and others, whether specific to the corvette or not. My point earlier was not to promote other sites, only to point to where I have found some good information. My starting point is almost always on the corvetteforum. I know there is much information that has been lost here probably due to our poor search engine...but, that's well known, and the sites I mentioned don't seem to have the same problem. I don't know why that is...the search engines "look" very similar. It's frustrating though!

Last edited by torchred96; 12-22-2005 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by LT4BUD

On some LT1 and LT4 engines the factory used the harmonic damper to fine tune the balance.....

WRONG!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...98&forum_id=48
Old 02-27-2006, 10:58 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
I am not so sure about this.....many threads on this subject and it has been stated Mr Killebrew described having to use the damper for balancing......Check this thread with the same memo...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...m_id=48&arch=1

I really don't know......and I don't have the factory damper anymore..

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 vs LT4 External Balance

Quick Reply: LT1 vs LT4 External Balance