C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 08:26 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

I'm planning on re-doing my exhaust system soon and possibly from the headers back. I've already got some mufflers and they're what I want, so no need to even mention eliminators thanks :rolleyes: :D
I've got alot of questions so here goes:

What are the negative effects of removing the main cat?
What are the negative effects of removing ALL of the cats?
Are front and rear y-pipes something that the muffler shop can easily fabricate?

Which of the following setups are good/bad ideas:
*Front Y-pipe (no pre-cats) to new cat to rear Y-pipe to mufflers
*Front Y-pipe (no pre-cats) to test pipe to rear Y-pipe to mufflers
*Front Y-pipe (with pre-cats) to test pipe to rear Y-pipe to mufflers
*Front Y-pipe (no pre-cats) to rear Y-pipe (X-pipe) to mufflers
*Front Y-pipe (with pre-cats) to rear Y-pipe (X-pipe) to mufflers

Any other ideas feel free to add!
Old 08-02-2001, 10:05 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Exhaust questions (A)

I would go with a 2 1/2" or 3" front Y-pipe (no pre-cats) and 3" rear Y-pipe into those mufflers. Then when you do intake work the exhaust will be clean.

If you are near Cape Coral Muffler they could do the Y-pipes for you.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:54 PM
Romeo Barrera
Le Mans Master

LOL! Thanks Bryant. I especially like the hammer guy as it's appropriate. Did you tell everyone yet how much fun we had?
Old 08-02-2001, 11:38 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Exhaust questions (Romeo Barrera)

Hmmm... You helped "A" rebuild a tranny and both of your vettes are undrivable? No flames here, but what gives?
Old 08-03-2001, 12:10 AM
Romeo Barrera
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Exhaust questions (Jay Axson)

First vette was driveable at first: decided to do some 'minor' modifications. 'Simple' TPI conversion turned into cam swap, which turned into aluminum head upgrade, which turned into pulling the whole motor, which turned into redoing the whole front suspension, which turned into replacing painting front frame while everything's apart, which turned into dead project when EX-gf decided to go on a $6k spending spree.

This years tax return went into purchasing a pristine black 84 with only 24k miles. Only thing that wasn't pristine on it was the tranny, which was shot. Why rebuild Bryant's tranny before mine? Idiot mechanic that had previously tried to repair my new vette made some 'minor' mistakes like leaving out the needle bearings and putting a reverse gear in backwards. I got the leftover needle bearings from Bryant's rebuild (they still look good). I also have to rebuild the OD section on mine as it's trashed. This is why I have 2 non-functioning corvettes. I am going to use the neat little "Save a copy of this post in My Notepad" for anyone else that asks
Old 08-03-2001, 01:32 AM
A
Melting Slicks

He he he, nope.. I have not yet set our exploits into words
I think I'm gonna write the story down in notepad first and then post it here and also on my website (which needs to be updated cause it's not current).

I bought the mufflers cause I want the car ALOT quieter than it currently is (I just put the car up for the night and I think I can still hear that angry hum!) Would running NO cats cancel out the mufflers? I know of a local shop that will redo the whole thing and exclude the cats if I pay cash :yesnod:
Will the elimination of the cats hurt the low end torque I hold so dear even with the mufflers?
I'm thinking that a normal cat-less front Y to a small length mid pipe to a rear Y to the mufflers would be just about as good as an X pipe cause the mid pipe wouldn't really be that long... I'm thinking that's the way I'm gonna go... perhaps. Am I overlooking anything?

Hey Romeo, I'm gonna run that switch in the next few days here, I'll let you know how it goes :cross fingers: :smash: Have you gotten any further on your T-10? :smash: :smash: :smash: :D
Old 08-03-2001, 07:27 PM
Romeo Barrera
Le Mans Master

I'll start on it this Saturday.
Old 08-03-2001, 07:45 PM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

I made a 2.5" dual exhaust with home made X-Pipe. No Cat.

http://w1.601.telia.com/~u60113742/e.../exhaust_2.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust questions

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions