C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

88 - Brake Pump...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Fork501
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 - Brake Pump...?

I've been having a problem with my brakes recently in my '88. The brake pedal will sink to the floor. I put in a new master cylinder and after bleeding all of the calipers, I have the same problem. But oddly enough, when I hit the brake pedal, I hear this really LOUD clicking noise. I think it's from the calipers, but I'm not positive. It comes from the passenger front and driver rear brakes. I think this may be linked to my brake pump, which resides in the driver-side compartment in the back.

Is there anywhere that I can buy this pump from? I'm not 100% positive that this is the problem, but I'd still like to find a place to buy this brake pump from, just in case. My sister's b/f wants me to take it to Midas to have them check it out, and seeing as I've replaced rotors, pads, calipers, and now the master cylinder, I'm ready to take it to them =(!!!

Thanx in advance!

~Derek
Old 01-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Morley
Drifting

I see you bled the brakes but did you bleed the master cylinder on the bench and again after you installed it?
Old 01-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Fork501
Racer

Originally Posted by Morley
I see you bled the brakes but did you bleed the master cylinder on the bench and again after you installed it?
That, I didn't. I don't think I have the tools to do that O_o;

(I know, I'm an idiot lol)

In all honesty, I never do work w/ my brakes.. this is the first car I've ever done brakes on. Trial and error, I suppose.

~Derek
Old 01-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Morley
Drifting

Did your "new" master cylinder come with 2 plastic fittings and some hose? Most do now-a-days. The fittings go into the M/C's ports with the hoses hooked to them and looped up around and into the reservoir. Put the M/C in a vice and fill the reservoir with fluid and keep the hoses under the fluid. Now, using a wood dowel or similar in the end of the M/C (where the rod from the booster goes) actuate the M/C 10-15 times or until there are no more air bubbles coming out of the hoses. Mount the reservoir on the booster (leave the fittings & hoses on it for now) remove the fittings one at a time and hook the brake lines and tighten. With someone in the car crack one of the lines loose (put a rag under the line to catch fluid) have the person depress the brake pedal slowly and hold it. Tighten the line and let the pedal up. Do this about 5 times to each line. Then move on to bleeding the brake calipers next. This should stop the sinking brake pedal. Remember to keep the M/C filled as you bleed but don't leave the cap off while bleeding. And don't let the brake fluid get on the car.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Fork501
Racer

It definitely didn't come w/ any tubes =(

I put it in the car and bled the calipers. Lots of air (as expected.) I'm going to bleed the calipers some more 2morrow. (I'm going to start with the rear driver, this time and work my way up.)

It's weird, because with the new cylinder in, I pressed the brake the first time and it sank to the ground, then I immediately pumped it and it caught and let me brake. Same result every time I wanted to stop.

*shrug* I'm too prone to jumping the gun =\

~Derek
Old 01-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Morley
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fork501
It definitely didn't come w/ any tubes =(

It's weird, because with the new cylinder in, I pressed the brake the first time and it sank to the ground, then I immediately pumped it and it caught and let me brake. Same result every time I wanted to stop.

*shrug* I'm too prone to jumping the gun =\

~Derek
Classic symptoms of air in the system. You really need to bleed the M/C, you'll never get the air out of it going to the calipers first. If you have a helper and a lot of brake fluid you could leave it in the car and disconnect the lines. Have something to catch the fluid, and have the helper actuate the brakes as you keep filling the M/C. This method isn't as good as the hoses immersed in fluid but better than nothing.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Fork501
Racer

Originally Posted by Morley
Classic symptoms of air in the system. You really need to bleed the M/C, you'll never get the air out of it going to the calipers first. If you have a helper and a lot of brake fluid you could leave it in the car and disconnect the lines. Have something to catch the fluid, and have the helper actuate the brakes as you keep filling the M/C. This method isn't as good as the hoses immersed in fluid but better than nothing.

Well, I got my MC bled today. Got all calipers bled (starting with Rear Driver, ending with Front Driver). No more sinking pedal! New issue, tho! *cries* Now my car won't stop short. I hit the brakes, and it slows down a lot and finally stops. My dad suspects the ABS, but I don't think there's just ONE unit, which would make the entire ABS stop working. It's really weird.. But thanx for help on the MC issue =) I appreciate it.

~Derek

Get notified of new replies

To 88 - Brake Pump...?

Quick Reply: 88 - Brake Pump...?