C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4-Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:30 AM
kmath3
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-Wheel Alignment

On this forum, I've heard a lot of mention lately about 4 wheel alignments. I've had front end alignments on various vehicles over the years. What's the 4 wheel alignment and is it worth the cash? I'm about ready to get my suspension inspected, tires balanced and an alignment. Thanks in advance.

Keith
Old 01-11-2006, 08:06 AM
MBDiagMan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most all alignment jobs now days perform a 4 wheel alignment rather than front only. It involves doing the same things on the rear that are done on the front such as toe, camber and caster PLUS measurement and adjustment of the thrust angle to see that the rear wheels are pushing the car straight forward rather than to one side or the other.

Although you would be well advised to ask your shop if they do a four wheel alignment just to make sure you are not in a shop with out of date equipment, any decent shop will do a four wheel alignment.

Good luck,
Old 01-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A two wheel alignment is largely useless provided that your car actually has easy provision to adjust the rear, which the Vette does.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:44 AM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is not much to adjust in the back if you have a fixed rear axle car. The Corvette has independent rear suspension with adjustments.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Texas CE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typically there are 3 types of suspension alignments:

- Front wheel only where only 2 alignment heads are hung on the front wheels only and adjustments are made only to the front wheels

- Thrust alignment where 4 alignment heads are hung, the front wheels are adjusted and the thrust angle (the angle between an imaginary line running through the rear axle or center of the rear wheels and the centerline of the vehicle). Even if a vehicle has adjustment capability in the rear, if it does not need to be touched then this is all the alignment that the car requires.

- 4 wheel alignment where again, 4 alignment heads are hung, all 4 wheels are checked and any adjustment is actually needed in the rear.

If the shop hangs all 4 heads and the rear suspension does not need to be adjusted, then they should only charge for a thrust angle alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To 4-Wheel Alignment

Quick Reply: 4-Wheel Alignment