C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Door Lock Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
mtsumedi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Door Lock Problems

Okay, niether power door lock switch works in my 92. The doors actually lock and unlock with the key as well as by hand. When I push the button, there is no sound or anything as if the actuators were trying to move. That goes for both sides. The fuses all look good and my power seats work fine so I have no idea.

Any idea of where to start looking for a fix?

Thanks
Josh
Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 PM
mtsumedi
Instructor

Door locks suck, I know. Anyone have any idea where to start?
Old 01-13-2006, 02:34 AM
CMYC4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a relay gone bad??????
Old 01-13-2006, 06:27 AM
mtsumedi
Instructor

That's something I wondered about as well. I have not received my servie manual yet, so where are the relays located?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 01-13-2006, 07:24 AM
kalister1
Drifting

On my 93, i don't know for sure about a 92, 93 was the first year for PKE.(Passive Keyless Entry)
Both door lock switches get power (12 Volts) through the orange wire. The right suppliesthe ground to the lock system. If you look at the right switch you willl have 3 black wires. Two of those supply the ground to the right switch all the time. The third black wire connects over to the left switch along with the solid blue wire. So when the right door sends an UNLOCK command one of the two (BLUE OR BLACK) still supplies ground and the other sends 12 volts. When the right switch sends a LOCK command the ground and 12 volts switches between the black and blue wires. On the left switch you should find ground on the black and on the solid blue wire. If you do not find ground on both wires check for continuity between these two wires going left to right. On my car someone had installed an after market alarm, I think that somehow it used these two wires. I spliced in two new ones and everything works fine. Make sure to do all checks with the connector off of the switch.
The following users liked this post:
JFRacing (04-09-2020)
Old 01-13-2006, 11:10 AM
CMYC4
Instructor

Sorry Josh, Ive been looking for my manual as well for you, I beleave I had lend it out and was not returned! IM sure someone will chime in and help.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Default No Door Lock Relay

Assuming your car is a 92, there is no door lock relays. Door locks are fed with battery current directly at all times.
The problem is most likely a blown fuse as neither lock works. Fuse is a 15 amp one and is located in one of the two auxiliary fuse blocks located up under the dash on the passenger side. You have to remove the black plastic panel over the passengers feet.
Here is a tip on this, remove the bassenger seat cushon be simply uncliping the wire clip under the front of the seat to give you enough room to get under there.
When you remove the plastic panel (two screws under the dash by the A/C outlet and one at the firewall, then pull it towards the seat to release the clip under the main fuse box. The auxiliary fuse boxes will then fall down on their wires. The fuses are all labeled, check and replace the fuse if it is blown.
If fuse is not blown check it with a test light to see if it has power. If no power check in the main fuse block and you will see a metal 30 anp circuit braker on the front side labeled PWR ACCY. This is where the door lock switch gets its power as does other key off accesories such as the cigar lighter.
Check with your light to see if there is current on both sides of this breaker. If there is power on only one side of this and the cigar lighter does not work also, replace this breaker. If there is not power on either side of this then you need to check the fusable links junction box behind the battery for a blown fusable link and replace if blown.
If none of the above is the problem and you found currant at the auxiliary fusr box PWR DOOR FUSE and all the way to the door switch thenthe other thing that can cause neither door lock to not function is a bad ground.
The door locks are grounded on the kick panel left side on the drivers side. Remove kick panel and clean op grounds. There is another on the passengers kick panel for tle lefty lock so clean them both up as either can cause this problem.
If you have good current and good ground going to both door lock switckes yoy have two bad switches or two bad door lick motors but this is unlikely.
Hope this helps
Jerris

Get notified of new replies

To Power Door Lock Problems

Quick Reply: Power Door Lock Problems