C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 radiator fan problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Billdavis83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 radiator fan problems

I am having troubles with the cooling fans on my 85. I have both a pusher and a puller fan. Neither will turn on when the car gets hot. I replaced all the coolant switches on the motor.

I was going through the diagnostic section in my Haynes book and it said to jump terminals A and D on the relay harness. The problem is, my harness does not have a terminal D. Nor does my relay. If I jump terminals A and E, the fan runs. Any ideas what to do next?

Also, my book mentioned if there is an auxilliary pusher fan, there is another relay mounted on the shroud. My car does not have this relay.

Help please
Old 01-14-2006, 10:59 PM
cutchy
Intermediate

You should be jumping points A and B on the ALDL connector under the dash. Jumpered and key on will cause the main fan to turn on.

As far as the smaller fan mounted in front of the radiator you should be able to force it on by having the car running with the A/C set to max.

You said you replaced all the coolant sensors and switches but a quick test of the switch located on the passenger side head between cylinders 6 and 8 will determine if the switch is your problem. Just jumper the connector to ground the main fan should come on immediately. If it does then the switch is your problem. If it doesn't start tracing that wire back to the ECM.

Don't be surprised if the car gets pretty hot before the fan is turned on. I think mine switches around 215.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:17 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

First check the 3 amp C. Fan fuse with an ohmeter! The ECM turns on the main fan at 228 F and the switch in the block between cylinders 1 and 3 turns on the auxilliary fan at 238 F by grounding one coil wire of the fan relay. The relay for the auxilliary fan is mounted behind the LH parking light If you ground the green/white wire on either fan relay, this will close the relay and the fan motor should run (ign sw has to be in run position). Also, to test the fan motor itself, jump 12v to the large black/red wire on the fan relay or unplug the motor and jump 12v to the motor plug. Also check for corrosion under the ground terminal for both motors and clean it to bright if cruddy.

Last edited by jfb; 01-15-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:25 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Billdavis83

I was going through the diagnostic section in my Haynes book and it said to jump terminals A and D on the relay harness. The problem is, my harness does not have a terminal D. Nor does my relay. If I jump terminals A and E, the fan runs. Any ideas what to do next?
I went through this too. If 85 wires are the same, you should jump A and E as you did. This closes the circuit and gives the fan battery voltage like what the relay would do. The Haynes is incorrect.

What you need to do next is see if you are getting battery voltage to terminal C(Dark Blue) of the relay connector with the key in Run and check the C. Fan fuse. Also check for continuity between the relay's B and C terminals with an ohm meter.

If you are getting battery voltage at C or there is no continuity between the B and C terminals of the relay, your relay is bad.

Last edited by 86PACER; 01-15-2006 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:14 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's the wiring. Ignore the override switch I drew on there.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:20 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Interesting. He say's his 85 does not have a D terminal, but has an E instead like my 86. Your 85 wiring diagram shows it should be D in 85. Wire colors match though.

Last edited by 86PACER; 01-15-2006 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:24 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd trust his eyes more than the manual. Theres lots of little inaccuracies between years. The relays all have 5 terminals.. only 4 are used.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:26 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Yep. One more reason why I do not like the Chiltons having all C4 years rolled into one like that.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:20 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am having troubles with the cooling fans on my 85. I have both a pusher and a puller fan. Neither will turn on when the car gets hot.
How hot? The engine has to get pretty warm for the fans to come on. I think the temps were listed above.

Also, my book mentioned if there is an auxilliary pusher fan, there is another relay mounted on the shroud. My car does not have this relay.
That Haynes manual is good for oil changes and grease jobs, but it tries to cover too many years. Get a factory service manual for your 1985.

Originally Posted by cutchy
You said you replaced all the coolant sensors and switches but a quick test of the switch located on the passenger side head between cylinders 6 and 8 will determine if the switch is your problem. Just jumper the connector to ground the main fan should come on immediately.
The switch in the right side head, between the #6 and #8 spark plugs is the AXILLARY fan switch. The main fan will not come on if it is grounded. The auxillary fan should, however. The main fan is controlled by the ECM. The ECM gets it's engine temperature information from the ECT sensor in the front of the intake manifold. The ECM uses that same sensor for ALL of it's temp related functions, such as a rich, cold start mixture, and a fast, cold, idle.

RACE ON!!!

Last edited by CFI-EFI; 01-15-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:01 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

CentralCoaster, nice job...you frequently post with nice links and pics. Way to go

Art
Old 01-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Billdavis83
Advanced

So if I jump my E and A terminals on the wiring harness and the fan turns on, then is my relay bad?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:39 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

So if I jump my E and A terminals on the wiring harness and the fan turns on, then is my relay bad?
Not just yet. Read post #4.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Billdavis83
Advanced

Originally Posted by 86PACER
What you need to do next is see if you are getting battery voltage to terminal C(Dark Blue) of the relay connector with the key in Run and check the C. Fan fuse. Also check for continuity between the relay's B and C terminals with an ohm meter.

If you are getting battery voltage at C or there is no continuity between the B and C terminals of the relay, your relay is bad.
Just to make sure, does key in the RUN position just mean in the ON postition? Also, don't know if it means anything, but when I turn the key to start the car, the fans turn on. I noticed this when my clutch positioning switch was out of adjustment.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:18 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Run means key on, but engine not running.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Billdavis83
Advanced

Great, I'll try it this weekend. If I can get the fans running, maybe I can drive the damn thing. Been about 2.5 years. (building engine as I got the money)

Get notified of new replies

To 85 radiator fan problems

Quick Reply: 85 radiator fan problems