C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Reversing the belt on the water pump - which pump to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:26 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Reversing the belt on the water pump - which pump to use?

On my '88 engine my A/C has been eliminated, the belt tensioner is missing and the smog pump is siezed (!). I came across a thread with this picture in it:

This would be ideal for my situation. My question is does anyone know what waterpump will allow you to run the pulley clockwise, instead of counterclockwise as the OE pump runs?

thanks,

Last edited by VtVette; 03-13-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:03 PM
98Red
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done this mod on my 87' vett. I used a Weiand Team G waterpump which has the correct rotation, part number 8220 (it's for a 82' corvette). I got a 12" to 14" adjustable rod from March Pulleys, part number RA-9.500. I use this rod to tension the belt, it goes from the front of the intake manifold to the top of the alternator. It uses a 56 inch belt. Even the stock waterpump pulley works well. The only problem I had was the lower radiator hose is a smaller diameter then the new waterpump inlet but with a little work the old hose will fit. I drive this car alot on hot days here in Las Vegas and never have had a overheating problem. Plus I picked up 0.2 of a second at the dragstrip. I hope this helps. Doug.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:53 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Doug thanks for posting I appreciate the help!

So the '82 chevy 350 water pump is set up correctly for our purposes? Aside from quality Is the Weiand pump any different than a standard GM pump for that year?

Also, while we're on the subject, is the L98 water pump what people refer to as a "shorty", or is it a standard size pump?

thanks again,

Last edited by VtVette; 01-16-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:27 PM
98Red
Advanced

Hi, I don't think there is any difference in waterpumps. I just happened to pick the Weiand. The GM pump should work ok. These are shorty pumps. I now remember one more problem I had with this pump. I don't know if it was just the Weiand or if all the pumps are like this. But on the driver's side of the pump I had to cut off the square notch on top of the pump for clearance of the powersterring bracket. I have a picture of this and will try to insert into this thread but I don't have much luck with pictures. If all else fails I can always email it to you. Doug.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Thanks again Doug you've saved me a ton of research. Don't trouble yourself over the pic's. I'll get a pump and try fitting. If I have any problems I'll post here.

Thanks again,
Old 01-16-2006, 11:47 PM
98Red
Advanced

Your welcome, any time. Doug
Old 01-17-2006, 01:56 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by VtVette

So the '82 chevy 350 water pump is set up correctly for our purposes?

Also, while we're on the subject, is the L98 water pump what people refer to as a "shorty", or is it a standard size pump? ,
All SBC pumps are "normal rotation" except the L98 Vette ones which run backwards ; we have the odd ones.

There are only 2 length pumps; short and long; no standard pump. Version originally used varies with the application , generally based on room.
Trucks get long pump ,Vettes get short.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Vetracr
Pro

Default Stewart Pump

I did a similar mod on my 90 race car. I installed Stewart SBC Stage I water pump. FYI, Stewart supplies the NASCAR crowd. There stuff is good. I had March make me a grooved water pump pulley so I could tun the serpentine belt over the water pump, FWIW.

Larry
Old 01-17-2006, 02:30 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is the quick skinny. V belt driven pumps are "normal rotation" pumps. Serpentine belt driven pumps, where they are driven off of the "backside" (all that I am aware of) of the belt, are "reverse rotation" pumps. From what I read, you need a "short", standard rotation, water pump. A VERY common item.

RACE ON!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 03:13 PM
350ws6
Racer

I just did this same exact thing to my 84. I removed the AC, tensioner, and AIR pump. I am running the waterpump in the standard rotation, not reverse like stock.

I just ordered a pump from summit,SUM-311005. It is a short, standard rotation, high volume, iron pump.

Be aware there are three different length pumps! Long, short, and corvette short. The vette pump is actually a little longer than the normal GM short.

The pulley on my 84 was a bolt on, however the pulley sat about 0.100 too close to the block. The stock pulley should be wide enough to use however, if not just put a couple flat washers between the pulley and pump snout.

i havent fired my car up yet, but i will let you know how it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Reversing the belt on the water pump - which pump to use?

Quick Reply: Reversing the belt on the water pump - which pump to use?