C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Noisy/Worn throwout bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Noisy/Worn throwout bearing?

I "think" my throwout bearing is going bad. I've been under the car (running) listening and feeling around and it does not seem to be exhaust, cats, suspension, etc. I don't think it's engine.

The rattle comes from the clutch area, not really left or right. Once I hop out from underneath it's not much different if I'm in gear (with pedal in) or in neutral. Once I am rolling I can't really hear/feel anything.

It's loudest when cold started then decreases a little but can still be heard.

A friend very familiar w/ c4 suspects the throwout bearing. 65k miles orig. clutch etc. The clutch is NOT slipping, tranny shifts pretty good (a little hard going into reverse since I got it with 50k miles), tranny gear oil is changed & clutch fluid also. New slave cylinder. I am thinking of getting a few more miles out of this before I do the whole thing as I have a couple of other mods going on right now.

I don't think it is "gear rattle" but I suppose it could be?

The question is, if I live with this for a while will any additional damage happen that could have been avoided?

How do you know it the throwout bearing really takes a dump?

Also, is there a way to definately diagnois this without dropping the tranny? Inspection cover?

TIA

Last edited by froggy47; 01-19-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A bad throw out bearing should really only be noticeable while the clutch pedal is depressed.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
A bad throw out bearing should really only be noticeable while the clutch pedal is depressed.
That is interesting, good point. Darn I have got something that is rattling down there.

I guy I trust on another forum (certified tech) thinks maybe the dual mass f/w is the noise.

The sound does not chg as clutch is pushed in/out - in neutral.

Last edited by froggy47; 01-19-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:06 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Mine sounds like its grinding gravel after it sits a few days. Been like that for 6 years. Asked Bill @ZF doc about it. His response:

"I would suspect that the pilot bushing is causing the noise that you
described when the vehicle is cold. Some day eventually when you replace the clutch, R&R the pilot bushing with GM P/N 10125896 which is a fluted type pilot bushing."

Maybe yours is worse (I assume this is not the throw-out bearing). Sounds like it won't hurt anything but you might contact Bill at www.zfdoc.com. There are several symptom/answer problems listed under his FAQ page. You might read them as well.

I believe the dual mass flywheel is more of a clunky/rattle sound. I can hear mine rattle a little at shut-down. So that might be your problem. Neither will cause damage.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 01-20-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought...

Right before I put on my headers (eliminated the cats) I had a bad cat that caused a "rattling" type sound that I couldn't pinpoint for the life of me.
Clutch....motor...tranny...?

Took it by Bill's (ZF Doc) and he checked under there w/ his funky stethoscope tool and voila....CAT! If you can, I'd recommend tryin' to get under there w/ a "scope". Bill looked under there first w/o it and couldn't pinpoint the sound at all. Once he used the scope...bingo.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:04 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I'm going to get a scope & listen around next time it's up in the air.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Duntov85
Instructor

BS - I had a throwout bearing go bad in 4000 miles. It worked fine. Was quiet with the clutch in and noisy as heck with the clutch out. When I had the tranny out I confirmed that the throwout bearing was bad. It was SHOT.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:25 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had throwout bearings rattle whether the clutch was depressed or not-if that's what it is I wouldn't worry about it until clutch time-I never had a throwout bearing do any harm-but I suppose they could.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:46 AM
stubbs
Safety Car

I had a throw out bearing go bad a sieze to the pressure plate fingers in my Mustang, you don't want to go there, its why I had a T56 after that to give you an idea
Old 02-14-2006, 09:55 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Mine sounds like its grinding gravel after it sits a few days. Been like that for 6 years. Asked Bill @ZF doc about it. His response:

"I would suspect that the pilot bushing is causing the noise that you
described when the vehicle is cold. Some day eventually when you replace the clutch, R&R the pilot bushing with GM P/N 10125896 which is a fluted type pilot bushing."

Maybe yours is worse (I assume this is not the throw-out bearing). Sounds like it won't hurt anything but you might contact Bill at www.zfdoc.com. There are several symptom/answer problems listed under his FAQ page. You might read them as well.

I believe the dual mass flywheel is more of a clunky/rattle sound. I can hear mine rattle a little at shut-down. So that might be your problem. Neither will cause damage.
If the noise occurs only when the clutch is disengaged, the pilot is definitely suspect.

If the noise will occur when the clutch is fully engaged, it can't be the pilot, as the pilot sees no activity when the clutch is hooked up.

Be well,

SJW
Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks for all the post guys, how's this for weird, the last few times I have used the car (and autox'd the car) the sound HAS GONE AWAY.

Does that lead you to believe it's one thing rather than the other? I'm not going to take anything apart (obviuosly) until it's clutch replace time.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:20 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Thanks for all the post guys, how's this for weird, the last few times I have used the car (and autox'd the car) the sound HAS GONE AWAY.

Does that lead you to believe it's one thing rather than the other? I'm not going to take anything apart (obviuosly) until it's clutch replace time.
I'd say it lessens the likelihood that it was the T/O bearing making the noise, but it's still possible.

I'd also guess it's not as likely that the DM would be intermittently noisy.

It wouldn't surprise me a lot if the pilot turned out to be intermittently noisy.

Be well,

SJW
Old 02-14-2006, 05:53 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks SJW

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy/Worn throwout bearing?

Quick Reply: Noisy/Worn throwout bearing?