C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Home made plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:25 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Home made plug wires

This week I received a set of plug wires from Jegs that where cut to length and crimp type. For the first time I can say this is the way to go. I have the Delteq system and really don’t like the stock wires that come with the kit and couldn’t find exactly what I wanted so I decided to take a chance with a universal set of wires. I had a $50 gift card for Jegs; my great wife got me for x-mass, so I decided to shop there. Because I have never had great luck with the “build it your self” wires I did not want to spend close to $90 for the nice MSD wires. After doing several searches to find out who makes Jegs wires I decided I thought it was Taylor and for $35 I decided to take a chance. When I called I asked if they made a little better tool then the cheap plastic crimper that comes with many of the kits and he told me that Jegs sells a nice set for $39so I decided to get that as well. Well tonight I decided to give it a go. With some directions I down loaded off the internet I got measured the wires for the correct length and marked each one then got to work. I used a razor knife to cut the outer jacket and a set of stripers I had to pull the inner jacket off ( there was no need to cut it all the way through and take a chance on nicking the center conductor because it pulled right off). Once I had the wire prepped I bent the tabs on the connector a little so the wire would stay in place then folded the center conductor under as shown in the directions and then busted out the new tool and crimped. Wow does that thing work well. The crimps where every bit as strong as any wire I have seen from the factory, next I just slid the boot over and it was all done. I did this for all the wires and it came out great and the car runs perfect. Now that I have the tool I will probably never get another set of pre-made wires because I can get them to exactly the correct length and rout them the way I want. I got the Jegs brand universal 8mm Pow’r wires for HEI with 90 deg boots for both ends and it worked out great for the Delteq coils. I have an extra wire and may document the process tomorrow with a few photos but it is really simple, just need the right tool for the job.

Here are the wires
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=28681

The crimp tool
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...Term=555-80570
Old 01-21-2006, 11:31 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Custom length wires is always my choice. Thanks for the info...I'll be doing this soon.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:42 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

I did a set for my Camaro a long time ago and they came out perfect. They are definitely worth the time and effort IMHO.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:32 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Admiral94
I did a set for my Camaro a long time ago and they came out perfect. They are definitely worth the time and effort IMHO.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Alvin
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Did you do a 90 degree boot over them? If so how hard was it to pull the wire threw the boot?

I do my own wires on the LT1's. Nothing beats it.. on those I get the straight opti ends which isn't that bad to pull the wire threw the boot... I can imagine 90 degrees would be hard.

I actually use a set of heavy duty coax cable TV crimpers for my plug wires.. works GREAT!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Alvin
Did you do a 90 degree boot over them? If so how hard was it to pull the wire threw the boot?

I do my own wires on the LT1's. Nothing beats it.. on those I get the straight opti ends which isn't that bad to pull the wire threw the boot... I can imagine 90 degrees would be hard.

I actually use a set of heavy duty coax cable TV crimpers for my plug wires.. works GREAT!
Yes I used the 90 deg boot. It was very easy, I crimped the ends on first then slid the end into the boot and that was it. Keep in mind i was using the HEI style connectors because of the Delteq so I did not need to push the wire through the boot first like you may have to for the Opti ends. I did recieve the standard boots and end with he kit that would be used for the Opti style distributor and I think it would be the same because the boots are much more flexible then the HEI boots I used.
This is the article I used for fabing the wires, I just used a little beter crimp tool.
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/1022/

Here is a shot that shows the HEI end a little better and you can see it will slide into the boot with out a problem

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...s/sum-g813.pdf

Last edited by FD2BLK; 01-22-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Alvin

I bought a nice set of them years ago when building my house and have used them for plug wires ever since. They do indeed work very well.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:08 AM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it from experience, never stick the silicone wire in your mouth to make sliding the boot on easier - it is a lasting nasty taste
Old 01-22-2006, 03:09 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by jd_v3tt3
Take it from experience, never stick the silicone wire in your mouth to make sliding the boot on easier - it is a lasting nasty taste
A little dielectric grease will help that. Not with the taste, just with helping the boot slide on easily.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:36 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Been along time ago-but when I built my 64 with trick heads (angled Plugs) and headers-I ended up buying Accell wires and got the vari angle plug boots-what was really neat was the boots actually screwed into the wires-no crimping-they were a little pricy, but man it was great to keep those plug boots away from the headers.

Last edited by rick lambert; 01-22-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by FD2BLK
This week I received a set of plug wires from Jegs that where cut to length and crimp type. For the first time I can say this is the way to go. I have the Delteq system and really don’t like the stock wires that come with the kit and couldn’t find exactly what I wanted so I decided to take a chance with a universal set of wires. I had a $50 gift card for Jegs; my great wife got me for x-mass, so I decided to shop there. Because I have never had great luck with the “build it your self” wires I did not want to spend close to $90 for the nice MSD wires. After doing several searches to find out who makes Jegs wires I decided I thought it was Taylor and for $35 I decided to take a chance. When I called I asked if they made a little better tool then the cheap plastic crimper that comes with many of the kits and he told me that Jegs sells a nice set for $39so I decided to get that as well. Well tonight I decided to give it a go. With some directions I down loaded off the internet I got measured the wires for the correct length and marked each one then got to work. I used a razor knife to cut the outer jacket and a set of stripers I had to pull the inner jacket off ( there was no need to cut it all the way through and take a chance on nicking the center conductor because it pulled right off). Once I had the wire prepped I bent the tabs on the connector a little so the wire would stay in place then folded the center conductor under as shown in the directions and then busted out the new tool and crimped. Wow does that thing work well. The crimps where every bit as strong as any wire I have seen from the factory, next I just slid the boot over and it was all done. I did this for all the wires and it came out great and the car runs perfect. Now that I have the tool I will probably never get another set of pre-made wires because I can get them to exactly the correct length and rout them the way I want. I got the Jegs brand universal 8mm Pow’r wires for HEI with 90 deg boots for both ends and it worked out great for the Delteq coils. I have an extra wire and may document the process tomorrow with a few photos but it is really simple, just need the right tool for the job.

Here are the wires
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=28681

The crimp tool
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...Term=555-80570
Hey, I am about to put new wires on my delteq, as Idont care for the way they go on the plug(very weak). Which plug wires did you get, the
40200 or 40201?
Thanks, Steve
Old 03-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

i put msd 8.5 wires on my l-98 a few years ago and the wire kit came with a crimper that is used i a vice. worked really slick and i still have the crimper, its 2 pieces of formed aluminum
Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by steve40th
Hey, I am about to put new wires on my delteq, as Idont care for the way they go on the plug(very weak). Which plug wires did you get, the
40200 or 40201?
Thanks, Steve
Steve I got the 201's I think we have to have the 90 deg boots on both ends.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_v3tt3
A six pack of Bud will take the nasty away.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:35 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by FD2BLK
Steve I got the 201's I think we have to have the 90 deg boots on both ends.
I just loooked at 6 and 8, they are straight boots. I think 90 degrees willl fit fine though. Thanks, Steve
Old 03-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Autozone sells a crimper tool that has a section for spark plug wires for $24.
At first, I was a little skeptical of a crimper that wasn't just for spark plug wires, but this one does it perfectly. You have to look close at it to know it is for spark plug wires.
I used Accel universal wires on my Delteq -- my only regret is they weren't red.
I always, even if I make them, check spark plug wires for continuity from end-to-end. I had several commercial wires that weren't crimped properly and it isn't easy to see.

Tom Piper

Get notified of new replies

To Home made plug wires

Quick Reply: Home made plug wires