C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I wondered what that was

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:00 PM
RichardJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '88 Headlight Doors on My '87

There is a module in the pocket, in front of the LF tire on my '87 coupe. It's obvious that the wiring is not factory and I had always assumed it to be part of the aftermarket alarm. I knew that the alarm was capable of doing more than locking the doors, which is all I ever use it for.
I'm making this story to long.
Yesterday, I found a dead Battery. I mean 0.62 volts dead.
Suspecting a major drain, I removed the ground and charged it overnight.
Connecting the battery with a Amp gauge shows a 12Amp drain and the left headlight door motor is running. I pull the light switch and the door opens and the lights are on. The motor is still running. I close the switch and the door closes and the motor still running.
Looking at my '87 manual, I see a possible door relay problem or internal motor switch problem.
The book says a gang of three headlight relays are supposed to be in front of the LF tire. I can't find them. Doing a search here on the forum, I find that a '86 has the relays under the brake booster. Not there.
Can't find the relays so maybe I should check the voltages on the three wires going to the motor. WHY DOES MY MOTOR HAVE ONLY TWO WIRES?? Following the harness I see where someone cut one of the wires off. Why are the wire colors I've been looking for go into the alarm module???
Looking in Mid America's catalog I see my alarm module and it's part of a $600 '88-'96 headlight upgrade. I'll be d*@%#.

Sorry for the long drawn out story, but don't you just hate it when things aren't the way they are supposed to be.
I don't want to buy a '88 manual just for the headlights, so could someone help me out here. I need the wiring diagram and the troubleshooting hints pages for '88 up. Scan and post here or email.
Does this sound like a module problem that anyone has experienced?

Last edited by RichardJ; 01-26-2006 at 05:55 PM. Reason: missleading title
Old 01-26-2006, 03:30 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt,
this will get you to the top again-I can't supply what you need but
if Agent 86 reads this I'm sure he'll post it for you-seems like a great guy. Mines an 87 and I haven't had any problems with the head lights-even with my after market alarm-which I don't believe is attached to any part of the head lights. BTW-if you're gonna work on it I can guarantee the factory service manuals are worth gold.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:47 PM
RichardJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My long story may have confused the facts. It isn't part of the alarm, but rather a '88-'96 headlight door upgrade that someone made to my '87, before I bought it.
I'm wondering if this isn't an electrical problem at all. Do gear problems in the early stages possibly behave this way?

Get notified of new replies

To I wondered what that was

Quick Reply: I wondered what that was