C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

exhaust ??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:28 PM
curtismoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust ??????????????

Somebody please help me.94 LT1 auto,I want to redo exhaust,Headers are they worth the price? cats or no cats? Best performing mufflers that are not too loud?What sould I expect to pay for the install?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they are worth it - especially if you later plan on doing a head and cam package. Your goal is air in and air out. Mine's a '93 and I went the expensive route. EM longtubes, RT bullit cats and a 3" B&B catback. Price was about $2K installed. If you have the 2.59 rearend, you may want to go with Corsa just because of the lack of resonance. However, if you change your gears out to 3.54 and eventually install a Hotcam, the resonance disappears and you end up with a mid-year sounding growl in the exhaust. There are, however, much less expensive routes to go.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:27 AM
curtismoff
Racer

how do I find out what gear I have?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:53 PM
redcorvettedave
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 94 auto if you do not want aloud exhaust...just the added performance...then leave the exhaust alone, LT1s flow good enough stock....go straight to LT headers and take out the cats if you don't
need to past emissions.....( somebody keep a lookout for bogus )
But there are aftermarket cats that will fit also if you needed to past emissions........then if you decide you want the muscle sound ..just cut off the mufflers and use the tips and add a pipe to where mufflers exsisted! PEace!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:00 PM
94muscle
Instructor

i have a 94 lt1 6-speed put magnaflows on it with high flow cats. Everything for 400 then 50 dollar install. keep the old cats and sell them at recycle plant got 50 dollars back. sounds great too.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:07 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by curtismoff
how do I find out what gear I have?

Look at your build sheet mine is stuck to the lid of the passenger side rear compartment some years have them stuck to the console lid. If you see RPO G92; you have the optional 3.07 Performance axle ratio if not the odds are you have the standard 2.59s.

Now to answer your original question, "...are LT headers worth it?" YES, I would install LTs again! It is one of the few bolt on mods that you can actually measure with the but dyno. However, if you have the factory 2.59s I would change them first something in the mid 3 series works well with the A4 LT1s. I went for the D44 swap with the standard M6 gear ratio 3.45; however you can install 3.54s in your D36.

The important thing is to have a plan on what you want as an end result. I went with 1 3/4' EM LTs becuase the head cam package that I am going to install someday requires 1 3/4" primaries. If I planned on a hot cam with stock heads I may have looked for smaller primaries.
Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 02-01-2006 at 10:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust ??????????????

Quick Reply: exhaust ??????????????