C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Source of C4 to C5 rear brake adapter bracket, C5 fronts adapted to rear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 AM
nonetooclose
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Source of C4 to C5 rear brake adapter bracket, C5 fronts adapted to rear?

All,

Is http://www.electro-dynamics.com/ the only place to find the brake adapter bracket to upgrade the C4 rear brakes to the C5 rears? What technical data (IE piston diameter, style - 1vs 2 piston, brake force) or other data exists demonstrating that the C4 rear brakes are equivalent to the C5 Z06 rear calipers?

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to put the front calipers on the rear as well?

Richard
Old 02-02-2006, 04:10 AM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 247 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by nonetooclose
All,

Is http://www.electro-dynamics.com/ the only place to find the brake adapter bracket to upgrade the C4 rear brakes to the C5 rears? What technical data (IE piston diameter, style - 1vs 2 piston, brake force) or other data exists demonstrating that the C4 rear brakes are equivalent to the C5 Z06 rear calipers?

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to put the front calipers on the rear as well?

Richard
First, yes you can put C5 calipers in the rear. From what I have been told, it isnt easy and you lose your e-brake. However, from what I have heard, it isnt worth the effort since the rear C4 brakes and rear C5 brakes are identical, just not in look.

As far as front calipers in the rear... why do you need so much rear braking?

Emailed Corvette Fever a couple months back and was told they are working on a C4 - C5 rear brake conversion.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:41 AM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Performance nut
First, yes you can put C5 calipers in the rear. From what I have been told, it isnt easy and you lose your e-brake. However, from what I have heard, it isnt worth the effort since the rear C4 brakes and rear C5 brakes are identical, just not in look...
Just do the C5 conversion up front and put some quality pads on your rear C4 brakes. Also the DRM brake bias spring might be a good investment. It transfers more of the braking load to the rear brakes.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see Stu's post here
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...53&forum_id=48
he is doing full C5 brakes on his '95
there are links to other threads with more info (one started by me)
for the FRONT brakes - however, you might want to contact rich@upfronttechnologies.com for the rear adapter brackets!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:13 PM
AZC4Guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Admiral94
Just do the C5 conversion up front and put some quality pads on your rear C4 brakes. Also the DRM brake bias spring might be a good investment. It transfers more of the braking load to the rear brakes.

This is what I did on mine.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:41 PM
ilovefirstgens
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would lve to know if anyone has experience with that company or c5 brakes on the rear in general.

The reason i ask is long story short im putting c4 irs in the back of my 68 camaro however i am using c6 z06 brakes up front and was planning on loosing a parking brake regaurdless so if i could have the front z brakes in the rear that sure would be sweet, 14" 6 piston brakes on all 4 corners hahahah.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

ilovefirstgens, just a note, you really need to get an adjustable bias for that. If I were yo I would get monoblock calipers up front (ones with 2 pads not 2billiion like the C6 Z06 have and then go 4 pots, monoblocks in rear) With the same 6 pots front and rear, yor bias will need to be VERY ADJUSTED and you won't be using the front brakes at all at full capacity. Just a big waste of money actually!

Old 02-16-2006, 01:12 AM
ilovefirstgens
Intermediate

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
ilovefirstgens, just a note, you really need to get an adjustable bias for that. If I were yo I would get monoblock calipers up front (ones with 2 pads not 2billiion like the C6 Z06 have and then go 4 pots, monoblocks in rear) With the same 6 pots front and rear, yor bias will need to be VERY ADJUSTED and you won't be using the front brakes at all at full capacity. Just a big waste of money actually!

Well pretty much anything besides stock brakes require a perp valve and ive already got one anyway.

I guess you guys were not aware of the price of the c6z brakes, each front calliper is $188 about a fifth of a monoblock, not to mention the soon to be huge availability of the pads compaired to aftermarket callipers.

Also I am using an aftermarket c5 hybrid spindle so the fronts will bolt right up and want to have the matching rears however they would cost more to set up the 4 piston rears, thus the 6s on the back.

When I get my front brakes in ill do some mocking up, $530 a set for plates is rediculous though so ill probably end up either fabbing up a plate myself or get them milled out.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:34 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm very interested to see what your solution is for the rears. I have a few ideas, just no cnc or even a drill press and vise to cut parts on.

How did you modify your brake line plumbing for the prop valve? Also, did you make any changes to the factory spring / combination valve? I think GM went way overkill with front bias on the 85s.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:37 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nonetooclose
All,

Richard

I have that data for the 85 brakes, and c5 and wilwood fronts, but haven't checked the rears yet.

I need to buy a few more fittings and I can check my line pressures.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:05 AM
ilovefirstgens
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I'm very interested to see what your solution is for the rears. I have a few ideas, just no cnc or even a drill press and vise to cut parts on.

How did you modify your brake line plumbing for the prop valve? Also, did you make any changes to the factory spring / combination valve? I think GM went way overkill with front bias on the 85s.
haha sorry you didnt read my earlier post its a 68 camaro haha, and i havent started plumbing the brakes yet, i also have to figure out what size mc to use.

Ill be sure to post whatever i decide on

Last edited by ilovefirstgens; 02-16-2006 at 12:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Source of C4 to C5 rear brake adapter bracket, C5 fronts adapted to rear?

Quick Reply: Source of C4 to C5 rear brake adapter bracket, C5 fronts adapted to rear?