C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Want to get headers are Hedman uncoated ok for $140?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 12:49 AM
Wordguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get headers are Hedman uncoated ok for $140?

Would like advice on coated vs uncoated how long the uncoated last, also has anyone tried wrapping your headers with the tape that supposedly keeps the heat in the header. Also is Hedman ok, I guess i need to retain the O2 sensor in the exhaust, right. I have an 87 L98 and don't want my exhaust restricted at all.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:46 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Want to get headers are Hedman uncoated ok for $140? (Wordguy)

You need to get them coated. They will last forever and look better. Don't use header wrap because a few member have had their cars catch on fire because of it. Headers for $140 sounds pretty bad. Spend a little more and get a quality header like Hooker.
Old 08-07-2001, 05:17 PM
C4396roadster
Pro

one word of advice you get what you pay for in most cases and the header jam is a pain in the a#$ to begin with why do it twice without the coating the headers dont last especially w/ wrap......................ceramic tpis is the goodie!
good luck on your quest for cheap go fast goods................ :cheers:
Old 08-07-2001, 06:02 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I had those headers on my '90, and I had them wrapped, they were also coated.

IMHO they are junk, you do get what you pay for. They sat too low under the car, I hit them on everything, And I was being extremly careful. At that price I consider them a yearly replacement.

Mine leak like crazy, and I have removed them for inspection, new gaskets etc... no fix. The leaks started after hitting them on a bump.

As for the wrap, Dont do it on a street car.
They will only catch fire if you spill something on them, which is easy to do durring an oil change, between filling, and removeing the oil filter.
They really do cut the heat down though. 20-30 mins after a hot shut down I could hold the pipes.
The wrap will shorten your header life, as I have been told.

Old 08-07-2001, 06:57 PM
Tony.96LT4
Burning Brakes

Go with the coated (inside and out) quality headers. Not only will they last longer but will lower under hood temps as well. The coating makes a big difference.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:50 AM
ezmoney92
Racer

Default Re: Want to get headers are Hedman uncoated ok for $140? (Tony.96LT4)

Go with the coated headers, I would check out Jet Hot Coatings and see what they have available for you direct from them coated inside and out. They usually have afew different brands available. Make sure to check the flange thickness also, too thin will likely leak after they've been on awhile. Oh, and if they tell you they're in stock, make sure to ask them twice and then get it in writing! :D If ya talk to Woody tell him Chris has been waitin' "patiently" for his set for the '92 now for 2months! :rolleyes:
Old 08-09-2001, 01:54 AM
Boo383
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my LPE headers coated by Jet-Hot. It was worth the $250!! http://www.jet-hot.com They coat them inside and out. See my sig to get an idea of the finished product. Like everyone else has said ya get what ya pay for.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to get headers are Hedman uncoated ok for $140?

Quick Reply: Want to get headers are Hedman uncoated ok for $140?